Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring 2023 Banter

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, Boston Bulldog said:

New red tag in the house!

I first found this board in high school during the lead up to February 8th 2013. Little did I know that I was going to be exposed to a bevy of meteorological information (and banter) that helped to transform a hobby into a passion. As of last week, that passion has turned into a career.

It was on these boards that I first learned where to view model data, was exposed to basic mesoscale and synoptic processes, and sifted through dozens of random acronyms describing how people think a storm will perform (though several of those still remain a mystery). During college I ended up reaching out to @CT Rain with questions about what it takes to become an Atmospheric Scientist. The subsequent mentorship he provided me with was absolutely critical in helping me become a graduate student in the field. I completed my M.S last week and will be heading down to NYC to work as a meteorologist in the private sector. While I rarely contribute on here, I owe a lot to this board. It was a critical part in my journey to becoming a meteorologist.

Great story. There is no doubt a ton of people here who have a ton of knowledge, and it’s great that CT Rain took you under his wing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Boston Bulldog said:

New red tag in the house!

I first found this board in high school during the lead up to February 8th 2013. Little did I know that I was going to be exposed to a bevy of meteorological information (and banter) that helped to transform a hobby into a passion. As of last week, that passion has turned into a career.

It was on these boards that I first learned where to view model data, was exposed to basic mesoscale and synoptic processes, and sifted through dozens of random acronyms describing how people think a storm will perform (though several of those still remain a mystery). During college I ended up reaching out to @CT Rain with questions about what it takes to become an Atmospheric Scientist. The subsequent mentorship he provided me with was absolutely critical in helping me become a graduate student in the field. I completed my M.S last week and will be heading down to NYC to work as a meteorologist in the private sector. While I rarely contribute on here, I owe a lot to this board. It was a critical part in my journey to becoming a meteorologist.

Congrats man! That’s fantastic.. and yes no need to thank me. I was happy to help !

• Haha 5

One final note I would like to add is that I was an economics major in undergrad. When I was interning under Ryan in early 2020 as a senior in college, I became aware of the vast interdisciplinary opportunities for atmospheric scientists in the private sector. Until that point I had been toying with the idea of pivoting into the field, but had several concerns. Learning about those opportunities solidified my desire to commit to Atmospheric Science and attend graduate school. Now I've been able to leverage both degrees to begin work in a niche at the interface of both economics and meteorology that I had no idea existed a few years ago.

Long story short, the field is much bigger than it appears at first. While at face value it may seem like your options are 1)TV, 2)Academia, and 3)NOAA/NWS, the value of meteorologists to almost ANY sector is very real. These sectors are hiring more Mets every year, take a look at how Citadel has dramatically increased their Met team in recent decades. As the risk exposure for companies to weather only grows in the future, demand will continue to rise.

To anyone still in school who is interested in Meteorology but is either enrolled in a different field, feels like it is too late to pivot, is intimidated by the math, or concerned about a perceived lack of career opportunities, I would encourage you to give it a go. I almost didn't pursue because of those exact reasons and my ignorance was proven very wrong.

• Like 9

On 8/15/2023 at 4:10 PM, MaineJayhawk said:

What's the story with the chinese food?   I clearly missed some drama lately

Here's the cliff notes. 

• Back in June, someone posted a picture of their friend, appearing to be of Asian descent, enjoying a nice evening outside.
  • @Damage In Tolland makes two racist comments about said friend, in two separate posts.
  • I call him out for making racist comments.  Posts are deleted by a moderator. 
  • Fast Forward to Tuesday.....
  • I post a surface analysis map refuting DITs claims that a warm front was going to make it into central MA.
  • DIT, presumably butthurt, randomly starts posting about getting Chinese food for dinner.

What you saw on Tuesday was DIT passively posting about getting called out for his blatant racism two months after the fact, completely unprovoked.  Instead of just acknowledging it directly, this loser doubled down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

I think some people have been conditioned to take things more offensive than it may have been intended , not saying that was what happened , But the post I believe was meant to be a reply that light hearted and it was  stereotypical  . It wasn’t racist or intended to be hurtful and so I think Tuna was annoyed with KevinS weather side posting style and so when pressed about what was going on he used the term racist comment instead of stereotypical, there is a big difference to me as far as inflammatory nature of using  that term but I digress  

I really never see people mean anything hurtful here , to me that sort of stuff is always something I wouldn’t  condone and always upsets  me ..no matter the race , religion, sexual identity etc . But for me I give most folks the benefit of the doubt and don’t mind jokes that are stereotypical , thou i certainly wouldn’t make a habit of saying them as there will be blowback , I realize different folks have different lines in the sand.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I think some people have been conditioned to take things more offensive than it may have been intended , not saying that was what happened , But the post I believe was meant to be a reply that light hearted and it was  stereotypical  . It wasn’t racist or intended to be hurtful and so I think Tuna was annoyed with KevinS weather side posting style and so when pressed about what was going on he used the term racist comment instead of stereotypical, there is a big difference to me as far as inflammatory nature of using  that term but I digress  

I really never see people mean anything hurtful here , to me that sort of stuff is always something I wouldn’t  condone and always upsets  me ..no matter the race , religion, sexual identity etc . But for me I give most folks the benefit of the doubt and don’t mind jokes that are stereotypical , thou i certainly wouldn’t make a habit of saying them as there will be blowback , I realize different folks have different lines in the sand.

Thanks.  With regard to the bolded.....

Someone asked why Chinese food was being posted, so I explained the backstory.

I don't care what or how he posts about the weather.  When he makes definitive statements, and those doesn't pan out, it's entertaining to highlight it with actual data. 

I cannot speak to Kevin's intentions when he posted what he did, and I would also like to assume it wasn't coming from a place of hate or even intending to be inflammatory.  

Maybe he was only projecting stereotypes to get a laugh.  OK, but stereotypes are the literal foundation of racism - what's where it manifests from.  Allowing stereotypes to go unchecked - and even worse, allowing it to be passed off as "humorous" - is the problem.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Thanks.  With regard to the bolded.....

Someone asked why Chinese food was being posted, so I explained the backstory.

I don't care what or how he posts about the weather.  When he makes definitive statements, and those doesn't pan out, it's entertaining to highlight it with actual data. 

I cannot speak to Kevin's intentions when he posted what he did, and I would also like to assume it wasn't coming from a place of hate or even intending to be inflammatory.  

Maybe he was only projecting stereotypes to get a laugh.  OK, but stereotypes are the literal foundation of racism - what's where it manifests from.  Allowing stereotypes to go unchecked - and even worse, allowing it to be passed off as "humorous" - is the problem.  

Well said. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I think some people have been conditioned to take things more offensive than it may have been intended , not saying that was what happened , But the post I believe was a stereotypical post . It wasn’t racist or intended to be hurtful and so I think Tuna was annoyed with KevinS weather side posting style and so when pressed about what was going on he used the term racist comment instead of stereotypical, there is a big difference to me as far as inflammatory nature of using  that term but I digress  

I remember that… Paul/Wiz said he was having a fun party, and posted a photo of a beer pong set up and one other young guy.  Definitely was funny to describe that photo as a party; like when someone posts a photo of a small gap in overcast and calls it a sunny day.  Going to get mocked.

DIT was rightfully mocking Wiz’s “party”, but there was a stray bullet that came out cringy… saying the only person Wiz could get to come to his party was a cook at a certain local restaurant (like elementary school stereotype stuff).  You’d think we’d be a bit past that and probably could’ve just said whoops, my bad, didn’t mean for it to come out like that, I own it.

It shouldn’t even be a thing months later, but it’s pretty on-brand that DIT starts mentioning Chinese food after Tuna’s posts, then claims to not know what’s going on lol.

Sitcom side of a science forum…err that may be generous, a weather forum.

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

The first time my daughter goes to the west coast just happens to be this past Thursday to Sunday night ...to SanDiego...at an Air bnb on the beach.  Any thoughts on the storm moving in there over the next few days.  Flights cancelled? Should she bail tomorrow instead of Sunday, or just wait it out?

I hear San Diego can barely handle 0.25” of rain. They look to get ten or more times that. It might be worth it to bail early.  I’m heading out there for the first time Wednesday. I hope all the flight cancellations are worked out by then. 

• Like 1

WTPZ34 KNHC 181450
TCPEP4

BULLETIN
Hurricane Hilary Advisory Number   9
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       EP092023
900 AM MDT Fri Aug 18 2023

...HILARY REMAINS A POWERFUL CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE...
...HURRICANE WARNING ISSUED FOR PORTIONS OF BAJA CALIFORNIA AND
TROPICAL STORM WATCH ISSUED FOR EXTREME SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA..

Now that's something you don't see every day :lol:

3 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

I hear San Diego can barely handle 0.25” of rain. They look to get ten or more times that. It might be worth it to bail early.  I’m heading out there for the first time Wednesday. I hope all the flight cancellations are worked out by then. 

word to the wise... after it rains in SD you want to not swim in the ocean for a couple days.  Bacteria and pollutants really spike, but after about 48-72 hours or so it's back to normal.  Because of the heavy rains inland , including possible thunderstorms even after the TS passes, there could be a lag.  You might consider waiting til end of the week to hop in.     I'm heading out myself on Friday, but think we should mostly be good by then.   Maybe check out Balboa park and walk around Little Italy on Thursday instead of hitting the beach?

On 8/17/2023 at 12:01 PM, tunafish said:

Here's the cliff notes. 

• Back in June, someone posted a picture of their friend, appearing to be of Asian descent, enjoying a nice evening outside.
  • @Damage In Tolland makes two racist comments about said friend, in two separate posts.
  • I call him out for making racist comments.  Posts are deleted by a moderator. 
  • Fast Forward to Tuesday.....
  • I post a surface analysis map refuting DITs claims that a warm front was going to make it into central MA.
  • DIT, presumably butthurt, randomly starts posting about getting Chinese food for dinner.

What you saw on Tuesday was DIT passively posting about getting called out for his blatant racism two months after the fact, completely unprovoked.  Instead of just acknowledging it directly, this loser doubled down.

this board is full of racists

• Weenie 1

4 hours ago, radarman said:

word to the wise... after it rains in SD you want to not swim in the ocean for a couple days.  Bacteria and pollutants really spike, but after about 48-72 hours or so it's back to normal.  Because of the heavy rains inland , including possible thunderstorms even after the TS passes, there could be a lag.  You might consider waiting til end of the week to hop in.     I'm heading out myself on Friday, but think we should mostly be good by then.   Maybe check out Balboa park and walk around Little Italy on Thursday instead of hitting the beach?

Point Loma surf will be banging this weekend 

48 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Do many folks swim in San Diego , water temp at Pacifica beach is 60. Most surfers have wet suits in Cali 

Lived in Pacific Beach for almost a decade, that seems alot cooler than normal for August,I would swim and body surf all time with no suit, Aug and Sept I feel like were the warmest from my memory. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Lived in Pacific Beach for almost a decade, that seems alot cooler than normal for August,I would swim and body surf all time with no suit, Aug and Sept I feel like were the warmest from my memory. 

Seems at least average 

https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Products/ocean/sst/anomaly/

you were young and wild 

(edit) second link I found says 61.7

And another shows linda mar surf spot half mile away is 62 on daily surf report 

5 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Seems at least average 

https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Products/ocean/sst/anomaly/

you were young and wild 

(edit of course the link that cited the current  water Temp could’ve been garbage ) second link I found says 61.7

Haha..yea nice being in your 20s for sure for many reasons.

I can promise you it wasn't 60F most years.  I wouldn't be in that without a suit even at 23. 

I am seeing a bunch of reports of 68-70F near that area.

https://www.worldbeachguide.com/usa/surf/tourmaline.htm

Well known longboard surf spot, remember being here many times without a suit. 69F now.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Budapest, Hungary.  It’s been hot around here.  Today driving I saw 36.5C (98F) on the car dashboard.  Ripping around Europe in a Mercedes is like playing Mario Cart in real life in eastern sections. These roads are like the wild west and make Boston driving feel like Vermont.

0AD9BC36-B0FE-4BAD-99E8-1C03E435E1FB.thumb.jpeg.3b6ddc89dc1a70d0e119d85163df45d8.jpeg

Same in Italy, my wife to go back only this time we rent a car and I drive and do our own thing, not sure I want to do it that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radarman said:

Typically SD water is notably warmer than in LA.  61 seems unusually cool... will be no worse than Coast Guard beach tomorrow.

Edit- Coronado was 69 today, Torrey Pines 70

BUD/s training just a touch more tolerable at that temp. The water torture must be brutal for the winter classes.

• Like 1