• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring 2023 Banter

Baroclinic Zone

Thanks guys, Its been a rough few days, He was 91 yrs old and lived a great life, Although not unexpected, It still makes it very hard to cope with the loss, My dad and i were very close and we hunted and fished all our lives, It was hard to watch him suffer over the last 3yrs being housebound after being a hard worker and an avid outdoorsman, I will carry on his legacy.

• Like 14

35 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Thanks guys, Its been a rough few days, He was 91 yrs old and lived a great life, Although not unexpected, It still makes it very hard to cope with the loss, My dad and i were very close and we hunted and fished all our lives, It was hard to watch him suffer over the last 3yrs being housebound after being a hard worker and an avid outdoorsman, I will carry on his legacy.

No matter the age it always sucks. We only get one of each. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dryslot said:

Been a very bad week for our family, We lost my brother in law on Wednesday and my Dad passed away yesterday after a long illness RIP dad, Until we meet again :cry:

One such event is hard to take.  Having 2 back-to-back is exponentially worse.  Please stay strong for all the others who are grieving, and focus on remembering all the good times.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Guaranteed deep snow this winter with how high this hornets nest is74346b95347913834553ccd94c64cf7e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

That didn't work, at least it didn't prove out when we lived in the back settlement of Fort Kent.  I saw a hornet nest at least 12 feet off the ground in summer 1982 and that was followed by the poorest winter of 10 for snowpack and 2nd worst for snowfall - 79-80 easily had the least.  In summer 1983 I saw 2 such nests so low that skunks had demolished them, and winter 83-84 was the one that required an extension of our 61" snow stake.  :D
Even more confusing was the huge nest I saw on a yellow birch sapling in late summer of 1985.  The weight of the thing had bowed the tree to nearly resemble a croquet wicket.  Would that mean a changing snow forecast as the nest lowered from its original 7-8 feet high to the 3 feet as I saw it.  :lol:   
(We moved to Gardiner in late Oct so never saw the pack, though snowfall was about 90% of average.)

That didn't work, at least it didn't prove out when we lived in the back settlement of Fort Kent.  I saw a hornet nest at least 12 feet off the ground in summer 1982 and that was followed by the poorest winter of 10 for snowpack and 2nd worst for snowfall - 79-80 easily had the least.  In summer 1983 I saw 2 such nests so low that skunks had demolished them, and winter 83-84 was the one that required an extension of our 61" snow stake.  
Even more confusing was the huge nest I saw on a yellow birch sapling in late summer of 1985.  The weight of the thing had bowed the tree to nearly resemble a croquet wicket.  Would that mean a changing snow forecast as the nest lowered from its original 7-8 feet high to the 3 feet as I saw it.     
(We moved to Gardiner in late Oct so never saw the pack, though snowfall was about 90% of average.)
Lol, trying to be optimistic

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Funny story, I bought something at a store currently owned by people from India. It cost $3.50, the cashier, an older Indian woman puts two quarters on the counter, right away I see one's a pre 1965 silver so I scoop them into my pocket. She calls me back with a quarter in her hand, so I go to grab the quarter and she says no, I want the one I gave you, so I give her the newer quarter, she says no, the other one, so I look it over and say, I think I'll keep this one, it's nice and shiny. Should have seen the look on her face as I walked away.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Funny story, I bought something at a store currently owned by people from India. It cost $3.50, the cashier, an older Indian woman puts two quarters on the counter, right away I see one's a pre 1965 silver so I scoop them into my pocket. She calls me back with a quarter in her hand, so I go to grab the quarter and she says no, I want the one I gave you, so I give her the newer quarter, she says no, the other one, so I look it over and say, I think I'll keep this one, it's nice and shiny. Should have seen the look on her face as I walked away.

I have a collection of about 75 silver quarters. The oldest are my 1929 Standing Liberty quarters. I wonder how much I’m looking at?

7 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

I have a collection of about 75 silver quarters. The oldest are my 1929 Standing Liberty quarters. I wonder how much I’m looking at?

Quite a bit but it depends on the year and quality, you could look it up and get an idea. The one I got today is probably worth $7-8. I have others worth more too. 

• Like 1

New red tag in the house!

I first found this board in high school during the lead up to February 8th 2013. Little did I know that I was going to be exposed to a bevy of meteorological information (and banter) that helped to transform a hobby into a passion. As of last week, that passion has turned into a career.

It was on these boards that I first learned where to view model data, was exposed to basic mesoscale and synoptic processes, and sifted through dozens of random acronyms describing how people think a storm will perform (though several of those still remain a mystery). During college I ended up reaching out to @CT Rain with questions about what it takes to become an Atmospheric Scientist. The subsequent mentorship he provided me with was absolutely critical in helping me become a graduate student in the field. I completed my M.S last week and will be heading down to NYC to work as a meteorologist in the private sector. While I rarely contribute on here, I owe a lot to this board. It was a critical part in my journey to becoming a meteorologist.

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, Boston Bulldog said:

I first found this board in high school during the lead up to February 8th 2013. Little did I know that I was going to be exposed to a bevy of meteorological information (and banter) that helped to transform a hobby into a passion. As of last week, that passion has turned into a career.

It was on these boards that I first learned where to view model data, was exposed to basic mesoscale and synoptic processes, and sifted through dozens of random acronyms describing how people think a storm will perform (though several of those still remain a mystery). During college I ended up reaching out to @CT Rain with questions about what it takes to become an Atmospheric Scientist. The subsequent mentorship he provided me with was absolutely critical in helping me become a graduate student in the field. I completed my M.S last week and will be heading down to NYC to work as a meteorologist in the private sector. While I rarely contribute on here, I owe a lot to this board. It was a critical part in my journey to becoming a meteorologist.

Yo!! Congrats man! That's awesome. Good for you. Looking forward to your thoughts on the board.

• Thanks 1

What a great story.  Congratulations.

24 minutes ago, Boston Bulldog said:

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Boston Bulldog said:

Congrats, you join à long line of peeps who went thru the same process as you. To think all the haters of the New England forum think we suck. We have more Mets come out of our region than anywhere else. Best of luck!!!

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Boston Bulldog said:

This is why I keep coming back. Congratulations and best of luck.

• Thanks 1