Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

That was late Feb 1999. Actually hit all the way back into central areas but the Cape got the worst of it. 

I’ll add that we did get a couple of good events in Mar ‘99 too as that month turned very blocky…but the big ocean storm was Feb 25-26, 1999

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Hopefully the ridge retrogrades just a shade more than shown which would make that event even more favorable. It’s kind of a tight squeeze at the moment where the redevelopment potentially comes too late. 

The 2/28 signal is actually a classic Archambault event for the NAO transitioning from positive to negative straight out of the original published paper in the early/mid 2000s. 

Yup... that signal ( actually begins 27 and end Mar 3 if want to be fair to the totality of thing ...) is an 'index-scaled' scenario.  I think I might have even mentioned that early in the day but I've been doing this like a mad man.

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yup... that signal ( actually begins 27 and end Mar 3 if want to be fair to the totality of thing ...) is an 'index-scaled' scenario.  I think I might have even mentioned that early in the day but I've been doing this like a mad man.

My first big storm window from Novie whiffed in January, like that whole portion of my outlook...but my second window is from 3/1 to 3/15

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

My first big storm window from Novie whiffed in January, like that whole portion of my outlook...but my second window is from 3/1 to 3/15

mm..it's not likely to be protracted - as in multi threat spanning a week to 10 days... Probably, once we get one it's done.  The NAO will likely retrograde and pin our beast in place and then the two wane in tandem... as the storm drifts away kind of thing.  May be another NAO pulse 10 days later in March -

I'm just basing that idea on the seasonal lag/blocking tendencies we've seen as a repeating spring theme over the last decade.  I feel that is tied into changes in the global circulation mechanics which i won't get into here.. But it has been reproducible, regardless of the exact cause.

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

mm..it's not likely to be protracted - as in multi threat spanning a week to 10 days... Probably, once we get one it's done.  The NAO will likely retrograde and pin our beast in place and then the two wane in tandem... as the storm drifts away kind of thing.  May be another NAO pulse 10 days later in March -

I'm just basing that idea on the seasonal lag/blocking tendencies we've seen as a repeating spring theme over the last decade.  I feel that tied into changes in the global circulation mechanics which i won't get into here.. But it has been reproducible, regardless of the exact cause.

I don't mean the whole period...just within that window. Obviously we can narrow it down now, but at 4 months lead, I just try to get it within two weeks.

Some top-notch AFD writing out in MPX. Not quite “bombogenesis, baby!” Thought.

A quick note before we dive into the upcoming system: I understand
that this event will attract a larger audience than a normal
forecast discussion would receive. With that in mind, some may
struggle to understand probabilities and the statistics side of this
discussion, but I`ll do my best to use layman`s terms when possible.

I want to put this Winter storm into into context for the
wider audience. This system has maintained remarkable consistency in
model and ensemble guidance going back several days. This itself is
a rare feat for any system. This storm is a high floor, high ceiling
event. What does that mean? There are high probabilities (75 to 90+
percent) that many locations in our forecast area will see a foot of
snow by the time it ends Thursday night. This would be considered
our "floor" or the lower limit of the potential outcomes. We`ll call
this the "if everything goes wrong" scenario. The "ceiling" or upper
limit of the potential outcomes or the "if everything goes right"
scenario. The ceiling for the entire event is around 2 feet of snow.
In hockey, every team wants to draft a prospect that has a high
floor/high ceiling because if they only hit their floor, it`s still
an impact player on the bottom 6 of your team. But, if they can hit
the ceiling, you`re getting a superstar type player that doesn`t
come around often. You know the type. Back to the Meteorology.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

20 minutes ago, Slantstick2001 said:

The castle on long lake St Agatha. Home for the week! Just a bit of snow up here. Some solid 10' bank's from the drifting a couple weeks ago on the roads along open fields from a couple weeks ago and the fresh 12"+yesterday.Feels good to be in a place where it's winter!

IMG_20230219_165639957.jpg

Hope you get 10' more

2 hours ago, Slantstick2001 said:

The castle on long lake St Agatha. Home for the week! Just a bit of snow up here. Some solid 10' bank's from the drifting a couple weeks ago on the roads along open fields and the fresh 12"+yesterday.Feels good to be in a place where it's winter!

IMG_20230219_165639957.jpg

Hey neighbor…lol. 

You sledding? I’d hope so. This place does winter better than any place in N.E.  ….Hands down. N. Aroostook What a place. 

• Like 1