Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

45 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I bet that is like limestone lol

When I made that comment , I really was just stating that I could see a path to that being the peak, I said I certainly wouldn’t put money on it being the peak but it was more noteworthy that at that time we were looking at what seemed to be a mid feb warm period and not very active , cept for what at time was a modeled cutter .. so it was some ribbing . All in fun , as you know . 

I’ve always hoped that late month had a strong recovery that went Into March for the ski areas , I’ve had a lot of fun this year 

Yeah for sure, just busting your balls.  It's just hard to truly grasp that environment up there is what I try to convey.  Like despite the god awful pattern the past few weeks and occasional torches, the snowpack hasn't lost anything since January, if anything it's up a couple inches.  Even seeing the massive red anomalies and huge positive departures just aren't enough to move the needle downward up there.  It really takes until March/April for climo to start to try and dent that snowpack up there in a significant way.

just for shits and giggles, this is what March 2018 actually looked on modeling around the same lead time. retrograding Scandinavian HP that moves towards the Davis Strait. a SE ridge actually does pop, but it is quickly flattened as the block moves westward and the ridging over the Aleutians creeps into AK

5a83cd602fb96_00zGEFS500mb264-38421418.gif.93210a480d732644fd73202d235c4611.thumb.gif.e9790c2362d50a3472861c712a87481e.gif

the PNA is also garbage the entire time. there is a persistent trough over the WC, kind of like what we're seeing now. however, the -NAO was able to overcome it and lead to a great stretch of weather 

cmc-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-1676808000-1677672000-1678190400-20-2.thumb.gif.f3bc277dcf353749dbcdb67956830079.gif

the main difference here is that the strength and location of the block isn't nearly as ironed down as it was in March 2018. if we do get a highly anomalous, west-based -NAO, which is certainly a possibility, then we could have a very nice pattern in place for the first few weeks of March. if the blocking is too weak or too east-based, which are also both legit possibilities, then the SE ridge will flex and we see no definitive change in our weather. I do like the AK ridge showing up on all three ensembles heading into March. this lowers the AO and EPO, leading to more cold air and a much more favorable pattern

I am inclined to believe that the west-based blocking scenario is legit due to the typical Scandinavian HP progression... we've seen it so far this winter. we shall see. I understand the pessimism, as this winter has been horrendous, but there is the chance of an exciting pattern unfolding

and just to be clear, I am not calling for anything like 2018 to happen. that was a unicorn of a month. just think that there are some similarities that are worth stating

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The nam is sweet but right now it’s just the nam at 54-60 hours on its own 

Rgem kind of went nuts too at 12z. Looks a little more tame at 18z. It does appear that most guidance now has accumulating snowfall in SNE….the question is whether it’s 1-2” sloppy inches or if it turns into this 3-6” solid advisory event. 

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Wow...this end of month bomb is in flux and trending...

Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 4.11.15 PM.png

Hopefully the ridge retrogrades just a shade more than shown which would make that event even more favorable. It’s kind of a tight squeeze at the moment where the redevelopment potentially comes too late. 

The 2/28 signal is actually a classic Archambault event for the NAO transitioning from positive to negative straight out of the original published paper in the early/mid 2000s. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Hopefully the ridge retrogrades just a shade more than shown which would make that event even more favorable. It’s kind of a tight squeeze at the moment where the redevelopment potentially comes too late. 

The 2/28 signal is actually a classic Archambault event for the NAO transitioning from positive to negative straight out of the original published paper in the early/mid 2000s. 

Yea...phase-change event.

2 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

just for shits and giggles, this is what March 2018 actually looked on modeling around the same lead time. retrograding Scandinavian HP that moves towards the Davis Strait. a SE ridge actually does pop, but it is quickly flattened as the block moves westward and the ridging over the Aleutians creeps into AK

5a83cd602fb96_00zGEFS500mb264-38421418.gif.93210a480d732644fd73202d235c4611.thumb.gif.e9790c2362d50a3472861c712a87481e.gif

the PNA is also garbage the entire time. there is a persistent trough over the WC, kind of like what we're seeing now. however, the -NAO was able to overcome it and lead to a great stretch of weather 

cmc-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-1676808000-1677672000-1678190400-20-2.thumb.gif.f3bc277dcf353749dbcdb67956830079.gif

the main difference here is that the strength and location of the block isn't nearly as ironed down as it was in March 2018. if we do get a highly anomalous, west-based -NAO, which is certainly a possibility, then we could have a very nice pattern in place for the first few weeks of March. if the blocking is too weak or too east-based, which are also both legit possibilities, then the SE ridge will flex and we see no definitive change in our weather. I do like the AK ridge showing up on all three ensembles heading into March. this lowers the AO and EPO, leading to more cold air and a much more favorable pattern

Related to 2018, there have been 15 sub -0.90 March NAOs since 1950. All 15 respective AOs were sub -0.5, which is the threshold I use for -AO. Even more telling is that 12 of the 15 (80%) had a sub -1.0 AO. So, assuming the -NAO will actually persist through all of March, it will be interesting to see whether or not we end up with a -AO despite what current modeling shows.

• Like 1

One change I will make next season is to incorporate in season ENSO checks...I do it obsessively all fall, and then just abandon it once I issue the outlook. I am going to keep checking it at least  into January...beyond that, it doesn't matter as much due to lag.

This la nina rapidly evolved into a modoki after having started east-based. Had I not been irresponsibly neglecting ENSO, I would have adjusted faster in season.

Modoki SST.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 5.59.37 PM.png

• Like 1

This is why there were so many MJO phase 8 head-fakes, and I would have expected that. If the block somehow fails in March, this is why, but hopefully its weakened enough. One March storm analog to be mindful of from the analog composite is 1984....2001 was much weaker, but could be relevent consider this is weakening quickly.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This is why there were so many MJO phase 8 head-fakes, and I would have expected that. If the block somehow fails in March, this is why, but hopefully its weakened enough. One March storm analog to be mindful of from the analog composite is 1984....2001 was much weaker, but could be relevent consider this is weakening quickly.

Wasn't there a big ocean deal in March 1999 that backed up and hit the cape?