Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

9 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

It's not a 15 day lead.  It's a mean snowfall from now through that timeframe.

In practice, any snowfall on there south of about the VT/Canada border is prob beyond D9…so in that sense, it’s mostly long range snowfall. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

It’s not zero for a reason as their is some members showing potential at the end of the run. But for the first 200 hours it’s zero, which we can all agree matches up well with the pattern the next two weeks 

Right but that just reinforces my main point…we’re essentially looking at d10-15 snowfall. Nothing before that. Any “calls” about snowfall beyond D10 should be very low confidence. 

It’s different than when you’re going into a favorable pattern like around d5 where you’d prob get a slew of ensemble members showing something favorable prior to d10. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

In practice, any snowfall on there south of about the VT/Canada border is prob beyond D9…so in that sense, it’s mostly long range snowfall. 

Correct.

I still feel like we're sitting on no-mans land waiting on closer consensus on the pattern change.  I'd feel more comfortable if this was Saturday/Sunday and we're seeing it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Correct.

I still feel like we're sitting on no-mans land waiting on closer consensus on the pattern change.  I'd feel more comfortable if this was Saturday/Sunday and we're seeing it.

Yeah and I don’t think the pattern looks that great by 1/10 anyway on the EPS. But we’re getting close to peak climo for cold so simply moving away from an AK pig would give us some chances. GEFS looks a bit better. 

There will likely be changes too on the ensembles given the spread we see right now. The mean is not a high-confidence mean like we saw in the NAO block some weeks back. Ensembles were very confident in that -EPO/-NAO pattern. They are not confident at all in the 11-15 day right now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Right but that just reinforces my main point…we’re essentially looking at d10-15 snowfall. Nothing before that. Any “calls” about snowfall beyond D10 should be very low confidence. 

It’s different than when you’re going into a favorable pattern like around d5 where you’d prob get a slew of ensemble members showing something favorable prior to d10. 

And that was my feeling as well. 

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro and EPS took a step toward GFS for 1/5-6. That one might be watchable. Esp for NNE but perhaps further south. 

My advice ( seein' as everyone asked - )  ...is not to look at the 850 mb in that range.  That +PP up there is going to correct the BL quite sharply inverted, particularly if that look trends 200 or so mile S ... and it's not likely to be depicted properly at this range -  ... that's already a red flag icer in my mind given those main synoptic players. It could also be a 1/3 to mid way thru the event tuck jet scenario, ... lots of weird possibilities with that much weight folding around the elevations up there.  

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Restless natives. 

The future is uncertain, and when it hasn't snowed yet for much of the region, the default setting is reverse psych. I have 2" on the year after a -6SD NAO block..yea, I lost my shit, but you have to get over it and try to be objective moving forward.

• Like 3

I can’t find good news anywhere.. even from Kgay . Can someone offer even something remotely positive thru Jan 15 to look forward to?

The next chance for appreciable precipitation comes sometime mid-
next week, but given the anomolously warm temperatures in the
forecast, that system would look to bring another bout of rain to
the region. Given uncertainty in the forecast at 7 days, PoPs were
capped next week at chance. Snow lovers will have to put their hopes
on the back burner to start the new year as the patter does not look
particularly promising with as many as 6-7 50F+ forecast between now
and late next week.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

40 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I can’t find good news anywhere.. even from Kgay . Can someone offer even something remotely positive thru Jan 15 to look forward to?

and late next week.

I think our good friend Will had some good advice a few hrs ago.  And so did Tip.  

Stop searching for good news/or more accurately bad like you are. We know the deal for the next week or so. It will improve…gonna take a lil time though.

Good news is…I’d rather the thaw now a few days into winter, than late January. 

41 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

and late next week.

Dude, you need to log off for like a solid week and then check back in. You’re going to drive yourself crazy searching for a winter wx event 10+ days out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Dude, you need to log off for like a solid week and then check back in. You’re going to drive yourself crazy searching for a winter wx event 10+ days out. 

Now there’s some good advice. I did that a week and a half ago, when this Friday’s storm starting to shit the bed…was the best thing. Stayed away for about 5-6 days, makes ya brand new. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I just need something.. anything to give me something wx wise to look forward to. Last week at least I had the HWW. There’s literally nothing . Not sure the last time we’ve gone over a month with nothing