• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

Hopefully nobody freaks out at this comment but with the driving -PNA being a dominant feature so far , would it be that surprising for a reshuffling of pacific to present an even uglier pig for mid January or can these things really not be gauged with probabilities? Does the tropical forcing that we see now and have seen show any short term indications of favoring thad sort of development or is a long shot . 

By January 10 we can score with so many different type of setups and I’m hoping we can eliminate the ugliest of them but trying to ask this question without the worriers having a total meltdown . The weather is going to do what it wants .

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Hopefully nobody freaks out at this comment but with the driving -PNA being a dominant feature so far , would it be that surprising for a reshuffling of pacific to present an even uglier pig for mid January or can these things really not be gauged with probabilities? Does the tropical forcing that we see now and have seen show any short term indications of favoring thad sort of development or is a long shot . 

By January 10 we can score with so many different type of setups and I’m hoping we can eliminate the ugliest of them but trying to ask this question without the worriers having a total meltdown . The weather is going to do what it wants .

I would be surprised, yes.

I do not expect anything more than a transient pig, nor do I expect an RNA month of January.

• Like 4

did the GFS run stall?  Must be thinking of a way to screw us.

It did, but it’s back to running.

Looks like due to the fast pac flow there’s a few short waves to keep an eye on. The lead wave heads towards lakes and kind of phases with TPV, then the question is do next set of shortwaves come east as one low or do we separation ala 6z GFS/12z cmc where front clears and then a third shortwave is given room to redevelop. If that second shortwave comes east as one low there won’t be cold air available. Need to kind of beat down the ridge and create confluence to have a shot here.

• Like 1

ICON's a nasty ice storm for the Jan 5-7th signal...  It was a more impressive 00z solution than the other guidance.

I'm still not completely sold on this models usefulness one way or the other, but I see it listed out on the web and some times mentioned in AFDs in NWS and so forth.  It must get some street cred?      who knows.

But, the signal is still real folks.  It's not that far away anymore, either.   I'd like the see the GEFs come around. The EPS has some vague look at a coastal.

We're not in threat mode.  This is still signal eval.   I don't think we're going be sending 582 heights up to NJ this whole month though, so long as the numerical PNA index sustains, albeit modestly, a positive SD.   This in fact appears more related to hemispheric 'elasticity' in the rather abrupt/recent disappearance of the NAO blocking over the western limb. It is in fact a strong positive mode... but is presently ( I believe) over-compensated and will settle back.  Probably when/as this thing comes along next week is resonant timing. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

At least there's a signal there. 

Normally I’d agree, but there is a complete lack of cold air anywhere near this system. The majority of guidance that has shown a system has been very warm.

Sucks that we’re dealing with spring like puke during the first week of January 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJln491 said:

did the GFS run stall?  Must be thinking of a way to screw us.

Identified - NCEP is currently experiencing dissemination delays of 15-30 minutes for the 12z GFS Operational model.

We will process the data immediately as it becomes available at NCEP.

Dec 29, 2022 - 11:20 EST