Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2022/23 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

5 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

https://twitter.com/CodyMatzFox9/status/1626566961869062144?s=20

Something interesting to consider given how much this board chatters about sun angle. 

I think melt varies so much on pavement type etc. i remember during the first week of February 2011 after GHD1. The snow/ice on a sidewalk was melting in full sun while in the single digits

20 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Probably just smoothing, looks underdone in Cleveland.

Cleveland

2019-20: 33.8" (-30")

2020-21: 51.9" (-11.9")

2021-22: 53" (-10.8")

2022-23: 17.5" (-26.5")

Cumulative departure: -79.2"

Toledo

2019-20: 25.6" (-11.8")

2020-21: 40.2" (+2.8")

2021-22: 30.8" (-6.6")

2022-23: 9.5" (-17.2")

Cumulative departure: -32.8"

Wow I've noticed in many snowfalls how much less they get in Toledo than here, but I didn't realize the numbers were that low! Almost like the state is a dividing line sometimes lol. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

https://twitter.com/CodyMatzFox9/status/1626566961869062144?s=20

Something interesting to consider given how much this board chatters about sun angle. 

It's a curious coincidence that this value, in rotational degrees, also corresponds with 33 Fahrenheit degrees for melting, which is just above the freezing point.

• Like 2

Was just reading about my winter here for the 22-23 season we have received 6.2” on the season, that’s good for the 12th least snowiest on record, should we receive no more snowfall this would be the least snowiest winter since the early 1900s. 

I will obviously need to wait for February to finish, but temp wise this should end up somewhere in the top 10-14 I’d have to imagine as well. 

that 6.2” for the 12th least snowiest to date really sticks out, it goes to show how little winter we truly experience, and  how we really experienced a legendary folklore winter in 2013-2014.

23 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Deal. We’ve got the all time seasonal snowfall record of 98.6” from 82-83 to break. Sitting at 55.6” with a good shot at being over 70” by the end of the week. 

If some of the higher model totals verify, you guys could be as high as #3 in seasonal snowfall by this time next week.

Geez is this winter horrendously bad 
I grew up most passionate about snowstorms since I came from NYC where the big snowstorms are some of the most interesting weather they get. But I've grown to not get as bothered by not getting as much snow and to appreciate these mild days in the winter.

If you love snow, I get it, this has been a bad winter for that across most of northern IL and even worse south of here. On the other hand, relentlessly cold and snowy winters, while memorable, are just a lot to deal with. For it to be uncomfortable being outside for seemingly months on end during the darkest time of year can get depressing. Plus it's not much fun driving on crap road conditions.

I still love big snowstorms, enjoy when we do have snow otg and make sure to take my kids out sledding, but I think days like today are a good part of our winter variability and a reason to be okay with these milder winters. Def wouldn't be happy living in a beavis climate.

Having experienced some periods of bitterly cold to extreme cold weather while living out here, unless it's historic, pass. Give me a few good snowstorms, some periods of sustained snow cover, but less deep cold and a decent helping of mild days, I'm all set.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

I grew up most passionate about snowstorms since I came from NYC where the big snowstorms are some of the most interesting weather they get. But I've grown to not get as bothered by not getting as much snow and to appreciate these mild days in the winter.

If you love snow, I get it, this has been a bad winter for that across most of northern IL and even worse south of here. On the other hand, relentlessly cold and snowy winters, while memorable, are just a lot to deal with. For it to be uncomfortable being outside for seemingly months on end during the darkest time of year can get depressing. Plus it's not much fun driving on crap road conditions.

I still love big snowstorms, enjoy when we do have snow otg and make sure to take my kids out sledding, but I think days like today are a good part of our winter variability and a reason to be okay with these milder winters. Def wouldn't be happy living in a beavis climate.

Having experienced some periods of bitterly cold to extreme cold weather while living out here, unless it's historic, pass. Give me a few good snowstorms, some periods of sustained snow cover, but less deep cold and a decent helping of mild days, I'm all set.

I bet you are happy not living in NYC this winter . I don't even have 0.5.

Crappy winters don't get to me anymore. I've lived through enough of them to know they happen. Snow is and will always be my favorite though. I've seen some pretty awesome winters, and checked off a lot of my "bucket list" wants. Only thing left is a 2 footer. We'll see if it ever happens.

But having a job that works outside, the extremes are what I don't care for anymore. Super cold, super hot/humid, super windy, icy conditions...f*ck that noise. And rain...just pure hatred. Last Thursday's storm and this upcoming Wednesday with the cold soaking rain...the absolute worst. Outside of wishing for snow, I'm onboard for 75˚ and sunny most of the time. May need to move though. :D

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

My CoCoRaHS log for February. This is just wrong, even here in the tropics that is NE Indiana. Unless we get anything measurable Friday night, it looks like we will go the entire month of Feb. without measurable snow. I'll have to look up later if that's ever happened at FWA.

cocorahs.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

Ricky moving to Dallas imminently 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Not sure which is the bigger joke? One day below freezing during 2 wks mid-winter, or being in a Watch for 100% chance of RN

image.png.ef381b403f653aa5bd1fb6556a537c45.png

Rain? Where are you at now? Anywhere along/north of i94 is gonna be some form of wintry precip. Unless you are following the short range models that mostly rain ship I think has sailed off. Jmho

21 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Just going off my grid-cast when I last checked. 

2023-02-20 DTX Watch-LOL.png

Yeah I don't get these offices that do that? Ofcourse both offices are notorious for following whatever model has the warmest outcome. But yeah GRR has rain or freezing rain for here. Yes I would gladly take rain over freezing rain. Time to cross fingers for a better outcome with the 00z models be it colder or warmer. 

• Like 1

I bet you are happy not living in NYC this winter . I don't even have 0.5.
Year without a winter there - unreal. My parents and brother live in NYC still and it's been extended November. Certainly been mild here but we've had some winter, just less of it than usual.

• Like 2