Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2022/23 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

14 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Anybody starting with 1970 or so is being disingenuous.  That was basically right in the midst of the coldest years on record, so you're starting with an unusually cold baseline.  Either use 30 year averages or the entire period of record.

1880s, 1930s and part of 1950s skew data warm as he used.  This new pattern is the development of the world within the last 50 years so 1970s makes sense.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Officially hit 70 today at the airport.

Impressive.    

by the way, @michsnowfreak , the first step is acceptance.   :P

The 1st step of what? Accepting cromarties constant trolling? I have no problem with our Winter climate here. We usually do fine whether it's a cold Winter or a mild Winter. The hot summers are what get on my nerves, But I will always be here to correct an inaccuracy when I see it.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Anybody starting with 1970 or so is being disingenuous.  That was basically right in the midst of the coldest years on record, so you're starting with an unusually cold baseline.  Either use 30 year averages or the entire period of record.

I'm glad I saw your reply because I was literally going to post the exact same thing. Anytime you want to see someone exaggerate the effects of climate change they're absolute number one job is to start a data set in 1970. By starting in the coldest decade on record you set an unrealistically cold baseline. The funny thing is for many in the Midwest and Great Lakes, the 1970s were not just the coldest decade (for winters) on record, they were *by far* the coldest on record.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

1880s, 1930s and part of 1950s skew data warm as he used.  This new pattern is the development of the world within the last 50 years so 1970s makes sense.

This is classic. You don't want to include the 1880s, 1930s or 1950s because they skew things too warmly. But you wanna start at 1970 because it's realistic. Realistically the absolute coldest winters on record. It's also ironic that 1 unusually mild Winter is the "new normal" according to you but we can throw out whole decades that you don't like.

Why don't we just start in 1990. You can watch the curve go up up as you've done since you grew up.

Screenshot_20230209_163519_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The 1st step of what? Accepting cromarties constant trolling? I have no problem with our Winter climate here. We usually do fine whether it's a cold Winter or a mild Winter. The hot summers are what get on my nerves, But I will always be here to correct an inaccuracy when I see it.

Summers are only gonna get warmer. Can’t wait.
  • Haha 1

This is classic. You don't want to include the 1880s, 1930s or 1950s because they skew things too warmly. But you wanna start at 1970 because it's realistic. Realistically the absolute coldest winters on record. It's also ironic that 1 unusually mild Winter is the "new normal" according to you but we can throw out whole decades that you don't like.
Why don't we just start in 1990. You can watch the curve go up up as you've done since you grew up.
706075101_Screenshot_20230209_163519_SamsungInternet.jpg.e2885c0f27916fc92ff26b1bc38ab063.jpg

Take out 2014 and redo that. That’s one horrible datapoint.
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Are you referring to @hardypalmguy? Why do you call him "cromartie"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mimillman said:

Back to Chicago today after a week skiing in Utah.

Out to LA on Friday for the long weekend.

Annual UP snowmobile trip first weekend of March.

Fine with the torch as long as the trails are good up north. Most depressing winter I’ve seen for Chicago and New York. Let it be done

UP should add some snow in the coming weeks as well. It's a mild Winter for them too but the trails will be fine. I'm excited to head up there Thursday. Definitely a crap winter for Chicago but it certainly won't end up as the worst, New York actually has a legit shot at that though. 

It's almost unfathomable that I'm going to get through mid February without reaching double digit snowfall.  That is very impressive for someone at this latitude who also has Lake Michigan only several miles away.  I'm not in the snowbelt, but getting some lake enhancement/lake effect from time to time is not unheard of by any means.

Back to Chicago today after a week skiing in Utah.
Out to LA on Friday for the long weekend.
Annual UP snowmobile trip first weekend of March.
Fine with the torch as long as the trails are good up north. Most depressing winter I’ve seen for Chicago and New York. Let it be done

Chicago is having top shelf weather today. I’m here enjoying it.
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, mimillman said:

As long as we get top 10 futility I’m happy. Would be nice to beat 2011-2012

It can only snow 5.7" the rest of the way to get onto the sub 20" list.

9.8"  1920-21

11.5"  1921-22

12.0"  1936-37

14.3"  1948-49

18.0"  1898-99

18.9"  1924-25

19.0"  1901-02

19.0"  1914-15

19.1"  1912-13

19.8"  2011-12