Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2022/23 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

It can only snow 5.7" the rest of the way to get onto the sub 20" list.

9.8"  1920-21

11.5"  1921-22

12.0"  1936-37

14.3"  1948-49

18.0"  1898-99

18.9"  1924-25

19.0"  1901-02

19.0"  1914-15

19.1"  1912-13

19.8"  2011-12

Surprising to me how down to the wire 2011-'12 was in terms of just sneaking into the below 20" list. It's the only one in my adult life that really stands out in my memory as an effectively snowless winter. Of course as we've seen, with so many events having sharp cutoffs in totals, even in a generally unproductive winter for the entire region, the perception of the season for someone in, say, Madison can be dramatically different compared to someone in Chicago.

1 hour ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Surprising to me how down to the wire 2011-'12 was in terms of just sneaking into the below 20" list. It's the only one in my adult life that really stands out in my memory as an effectively snowless winter. Of course as we've seen, with so many events having sharp cutoffs in totals, even in a generally unproductive winter for the entire region, the perception of the season for someone in, say, Madison can be dramatically different compared to someone in Chicago.

Actually I was flying home today and went right over Dubuque / Beloit / Rockford. I was sitting on the north facing side of the plane flying east. I couldn’t believe how thin the cold sector was from the storm last week. I could see the entirety of it from my window, west to east. Pathetic 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CheeselandSkies said:

2011-12 was the lowest snow season in my now 28 years of measuring snowfall. I finished with 25.5". It was certainly a terrible Winter but March was really the difference maker. Had it been even an average March the season would have blended in with just other subpar winters and not the stinker it is remembered for. While the final snowfall number is certainly what we all look at, a lot of other factors come in to play, like days with snow on the ground, how deep did the snow get at its deepest, what was the biggest storm, how cold, etc. I'm at 19.8" so far so technically I could still fall below 2011-12 but there really is a long way to go. Plus I've had a bigger storms and more days with snow on the ground than in 2011-12.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

2011-12 was the lowest snow season in my now 28 years of measuring snowfall. I finished with 25.5". It was certainly a terrible Winter but March was really the difference maker. Had it been even an average March the season would have blended in with just other subpar winters and not the stinker it is remembered for. While the final snowfall number is certainly what we all look at, a lot of other factors come in to play, like days with snow on the ground, how deep did the snow get at its deepest, what was the biggest storm, how cold, etc. I'm at 19.8" so far so technically I could still fall below 2011-12 but there really is a long way to go. Plus I've had a bigger storms and more days with snow on the ground than in 2011-12.

Ya, Toronto is already around 26" so even just a bit more will make it look like just a slightly bad winter in the record books. Im thinking Toronto has one more legit winter storm of 4-8" and a few more slop 1-3, 2-4" type events. I think Toronto ends up right around 36" on the season. About 4-6" below normal. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Ya, Toronto is already around 26" so even just a bit more will make it look like just a slightly bad winter in the record books. Im thinking Toronto has one more legit winter storm of 4-8" and a few more slop 1-3, 2-4" type events. I think Toronto ends up right around 36" on the season. About 4-6" below normal. 

Good post. Frustration for most is understandable but acting like everyone knows what's going to happen is just silly. None of us know what's going to happen but I do know that we have over 2 more months before we are out of the woods for accumulating snow potential. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

Just remember, it could always be worse, the NYC people are about to go postal 

Different strokes but I can deal with shutout winters knowing the better potential they have for big dogs in a better enso setup. It's better than the scraps we see even in an "avg climate winter".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Actually I was flying home today and went right over Dubuque / Beloit / Rockford. I was sitting on the north facing side of the plane flying east. I couldn’t believe how thin the cold sector was from the storm last week. I could see the entirety of it from my window, west to east. Pathetic 

1b3471f54b9c874ac9a3c60da443ecd2.jpg

I was observing the same thing yesterday afternoon driving up for a few hours of skiing from the stateline to Tyrol Basin west of Madison. It wasn’t until just south of Madison the ground went from bare to snow covered. Madison did well though, roads were partially ice/snow covered out of town, and Tyrol has excellent coverage, including in the glades where they’re purely relying on natural snow. Not a great pic but illustrates the coverage under that lift line in the woods.

On the other hand, Friday night, Alpine Valley and Wilmot had a parade of ambulances in and out. The rain they got and subsequent refreeze was taking people out every 5 minutes. I heard there were at least 5 ambulances in 3 hours at AV, Friday nights there ordinarily are pretty quiet.

I'm glad I didn't have to fly before and after Christmas. The cold wave blizzard plus 17000 flights cancelled by Southwest Airlines! There's probably a low chance I would have been on Southwest, but I have had flights with them before.  From what I have heard, the problems with Southwest started in Denver, where the significant temperature drop caused them to start cancelling or delaying flights, I believe. Then their scheduling problems became so much larger. Also, I would have probably scheduled a Denver to Detroit flight close to that cold wave day(s).

Concerned downwind citizen here.  Is everything okay in Ohio and the surrounding area?  Based on what I am seeing, it seems like there is some sort of major environmental catastrophe happening in East Palestine.. Like someone f-ed up really bad. 

If it werent for the aliens, I would think it would be major news.. but for some reason, none of the main stream outlets are covering it.  

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, MDScienceTeacher said:

Concerned downwind citizen here.  Is everything okay in Ohio and the surrounding area?  Based on what I am seeing, it seems like there is some sort of major environmental catastrophe happening in East Palestine.. Like someone f-ed up really bad. 

If it werent for the aliens, I would think it would be major news.. but for some reason, none of the main stream outlets are covering it.  

It's pretty remarkable how little attention that story is getting.

7 hours ago, MDScienceTeacher said:

14 cars of vinyl chloride derailed, along with six more containing other potentially hazardous materials.

Nasty for the residents of the immediate area, definitely needs close environmental monitoring of the air and water for them. You'll be fine in Maryland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Ohio_train_derailment

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, MDScienceTeacher said:

Longer and longer trains with no regard on where the hazardous cars are placed.  What could go wrong.  At least stockholders are making bank.  

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, MDScienceTeacher said:

it's because big money is practically paying all the mainstream media to keep it quiet.  did you see the one reporter that was trying to report on this get arrested?

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, MDScienceTeacher said:

They torched the remaining hazmat so as to speed up getting the tracks cleared, regardless of the additional hazards surrounding residents would have to face.  It wasn't until after burning all of the rest of it off when that they said "whoops, there are other hazardous chemicals there too."  BS They railroad knew exactly what was there.  It was right on the consist. The big railroads are just as bad as other large corporations that have an almost monopoly.  It is all about the $$$. I know through working in emergency management. We have had incidents locally where Norfolk Southern had to stop train traffic and they always whine that they lose a million dollars an hour when a line is shut down and implicitly say "screw public safety."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IWXwx said:

They torched the remaining hazmat so as to speed up getting the tracks cleared, regardless of the additional hazards surrounding residents would have to face.  It wasn't until after burning all of the rest of it off when that they said "whoops, there are other hazardous chemicals there too."  BS They railroad knew exactly what was there.  It was right on the consist. The big railroads are just as bad as other large corporations that have an almost monopoly.  It is all about the $$$. I know through working in emergency management. We have had incidents locally where Norfolk Southern had to stop train traffic and they always whine that they lose a million dollars an hour when a line is shut down and implicitly say "screw public safety."

Wow.. that is really scary and unfortunate.  If I lived any where near there, I would go and get a baseline set of testing and imaging just in case the shit hits the fan.  

Check out the radar plume from the fire:

image.png.ed65de57c3559cd35590e3c7c5dc0407.png

In other news, my sister got covid a week and a half ago.  Had several symptoms, some of which have cleared up, but she's still dealing with considerable fatigue and some taste/smell issues.  I know those symptoms can drag on for a long time in a subset of people... hopefully not her. 

The taste/smell thing sort of surprised me as I had seen that that was a much less common symptom these days.  She was never vaccinated though, and I'm not sure if it was something that inherently changed with the virus to make that symptom less likely or if vaccination somehow affected the symptomology and made it less likely on the whole.  

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

In other news, my sister got covid a week and a half ago.  Had several symptoms, some of which have cleared up, but she's still dealing with considerable fatigue and some taste/smell issues.  I know those symptoms can drag on for a long time in a subset of people... hopefully not her. 

The taste/smell thing sort of surprised me as I had seen that that was a much less common symptom these days.  She was never vaccinated though, and I'm not sure if it was something that inherently changed with the virus to make that symptom less likely or if vaccination somehow affected the symptomology and made it less likely on the whole.  

Last year I got the BA5 sub-variant in late summer and 5 days in I lost 70% of my taste/smell. I remember well what I was doing when my olfactory nerve cells were being attacked and how fast it set in. Its nothing like I've ever had but the best way to describe that is its like your nasal passages are being inflamed. Not only can you not smell anything but for a day or so in my case there was this "smell" or neuron signal of inside that you couldn't get away from even if you weren't breathing in which was unpleasant. I could still taste certain items but it took over a week to get most of my taste back and over a month+ to get entirely normal again. I never had the fatigue.

1 hour ago, Torchageddon said:

Last year I got the BA5 sub-variant in late summer and 5 days in I lost 70% of my taste/smell. I remember well what I was doing when my olfactory nerve cells were being attacked and how fast it set in. Its nothing like I've ever had but the best way to describe that is its like your nasal passages are being inflamed. Not only can you not smell anything but for a day or so in my case there was this "smell" or neuron signal of inside that you couldn't get away from even if you weren't breathing in which was unpleasant. I could still taste certain items but it took over a week to get most of my taste back and over a month+ to get entirely normal again. I never had the fatigue.

That's another thing.  It took like 4 days until her taste/smell was affected, so it was not one of the first symptoms.

I've somehow avoided covid so far, at least to the best of my knowledge.  Last booster was at the end of 2021.  I have some minor autoimmune stuff that I take supplements for, and I dialed that in even more since covid began.  Maybe that's been playing a role but I'm sure my luck will run out sometime.