Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2022/23 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

6 hours ago, iBrian said:

I need to look up a short documentary on Mt. Washington - why are winds consistently so high on a ~6000 ft. mountain??

The Saint Lawrence valley to the northwest is close to sea level and majority of the ridges in the White Mountains are between 4000 and 5000 ft.  In winter there's usually a more stable layer beginning somewhere 5000 and 10,000 feet that acts as a lid on the air flow.  So the flow of air originating over the Saint Lawrence valley speeds up as it gets constricted in the vertical to pass over a 4000-5000 ft. range.  Now add to this the fact that Mount Washington itself juts up 1500 feet higher than all the surrounding ridges of the White Mountains.  The orographic funneling effect is due to the range as a whole, but Mount Washington sticks up even higher, right into the core of the orographic jet.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, frostfern said:

The Saint Lawrence valley to the northwest is close to sea level and majority of the ridges in the White Mountains are between 4000 and 5000 ft.  In winter there's usually a more stable layer beginning somewhere 5000 and 10,000 feet that acts as a lid on the air flow.  So the flow of air originating over the Saint Lawrence valley speeds up as it gets constricted in the vertical to pass over a 4000-5000 ft. range.  Now add to this the fact that Mount Washington itself juts up 1500 feet higher than all the surrounding ridges of the White Mountains.  The orographic funneling effect is due to the range as a whole, but Mount Washington sticks up even higher, right into the core of the orographic jet.

There’s a similar effect on Grandfather Mtn in North Carolina

Got all my moneys worth out of winter in one weekend. Ran the snowguns for the last time all day Thursday and Friday and built up my backyard terrain park base, should hold on until 4/1 regardless as to what temps get thrown at us. Got a couple fat bike to breakfast rides in on the snowmobile trail, fantastic conditions yesterday on one of the area forest preserves’s groomed xc trails, and went ice skating with my family on the frozen Pierce Lake at Rock Cut state park. Capped it off with an afternoon skiing Devils Head, fully open today, and made my way over to their double black run, Outer Limits and conquered it. That just leaves Warpath at Chestnut and I’ll have conquered all the IL/WI hills. The way it’s looking that one’s gonna have to wait til next winter.

It sucks that true winter conditions have been so compressed, and I’m blessed that we got what we got last weekend here in northern Winnebago county IL, I’d have never got the xc skis, fatties, or ice skates out the whole winter had we not got last weekends dump and the following cold. Whatever happens from here I’m at peace with it.

That said not gonna lie and say I won’t get some joy out of a palm killer style deep freeze in early spring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, luckyweather said:

Got all my moneys worth out of winter in one weekend. Ran the snowguns for the last time all day Thursday and Friday and built up my backyard terrain park base, should hold on until 4/1 regardless as to what temps get thrown at us. Got a couple fat bike to breakfast rides in on the snowmobile trail, fantastic conditions yesterday on one of the area forest preserves’s groomed xc trails, and went ice skating with my family on the frozen Pierce Lake at Rock Cut state park. Capped it off with an afternoon skiing Devils Head, fully open today, and made my way over to their double black run, Outer Limits and conquered it. That just leaves Warpath at Chestnut and I’ll have conquered all the IL/WI hills. The way it’s looking that one’s gonna have to wait til next winter.

It sucks that true winter conditions have been so compressed, and I’m blessed that we got what we got last weekend here in northern Winnebago county IL, I’d have never got the xc skis, fatties, or ice skates out the whole winter had we not got last weekends dump and the following cold. Whatever happens from here I’m at peace with it.

That said not gonna lie and say I won’t get some joy out of a palm killer style deep freeze in early spring.

In the milder winters I really get out to enjoy the good periods when they are present. Obviously I do the same in the cold snowy winters but there's more leeway and room for laziness then. Ive spent more time outdoors the past couple weeks than I do in summer lol, getting the most out of Winter fun while we've had a good solid snowblanket. Same thing around Christmas. It was a beautiful white Christmas but it was more than just a scenic touch to add to the holiday, I spent time outdoors that week as well, even during the brutal wind chills. I'm really feeling late February into March for this sub forum but regardless of what happens then I am totally with you. I will get immense pleasure out of a palm killing spring deep freeze.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2023 at 9:14 PM, luckyweather said:

Nice you enjoyed brief window of winter conditions. Haven't skied Devils Head in a long time ( golfed there a few yrs back). Mostly Alpine Valley and occasionally Cascade. Pierce Lake still non swimming?Grew up in that area and remember heading to Pearl Lake.

Nice you enjoyed brief window of winter conditions. Haven't skied Devils Head in a long time ( golfed there a few yrs back). Mostly Alpine Valley and occasionally Cascade. Pierce Lake still non swimming?Grew up in that area and remember heading to Pearl Lake.

I’ve been buying the ski Wisconsin passport the past few years. They start selling them around Halloween/Thanksgiving (never a consistent date), you have to watch and be quick, they usually sell around a max of 500. This year they sold out in a few days. $150-$199 and you get around 20 lift tickets to most hills, including all the hills around the stateline. Little Switz, Devils Head, Cascade, Alpine, Wilmot, Christmas, Nordic, LaCrosse, etc. The only notable missing is Granite Peak. DH’s ticket price last weekend was $78 so you can see how quick you’re in the money with the passport. You should check it out this fall!

Yeah Pierce is still no swimming. We get away with a little rebellion by stand up paddling the lake and then “oh no I’ve lost my balance I guess I have to fall in the lake and swim back to my board!”. Olson Lake in the park allows swimming and they recently underwent a big project to rebuild that beach.
  • Like 1