Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2022/23 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

21 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

Would be epic if their largest event ends up being 11/12 this winter.

There have been 8 occurrences where Indianapolis' biggest calendar day snowfall occurred in November.  And a number of them happened in the first half of November.

11/4/1886:  4.4"

11/9/1921:  3.8"

11/27/1931:  2.9"

11/16/1932:  8.6"

11/6/1951:  2.9"

11/28/1958:  4.6" (tied with 3/10/1959 for biggest)

11/2/1966:  7.8"

11/13/1997:  3.3"

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Hoosier said:

There have been 8 occurrences where Indianapolis' biggest calendar day snowfall occurred in November.  And a number of them happened in the first half of November.

11/4/1886:  4.4"

11/9/1921:  3.8"

11/27/1931:  2.9"

11/16/1932:  8.6"

11/6/1951:  2.9"

11/28/1958:  4.6" (tied with 3/10/1959 for biggest)

11/2/1966:  7.8"

11/13/1997:  3.3"

Strange how IND got in on that Nov '66 storm but the rest of the winter was historic just north of their CWA. Any way you cut it, some of those smaller amounts would be a winter season nightmare. 

Edit: 11-11-19 I had 7.0" and that was indeed the biggest of the season, so I guess I have lived it, lol. But at least it was warning level amt, not just a few inches. 

1 hour ago, Chicago916 said:

Given the overall above average temperatures and above freezing temperatures, I'm curious how the Great Lakes ice cover compares to other years.

Near New Buffalo, Lake Michigan last week. Looks like the freezing spray and tops of waves all froze solid. The water was incredibly calm; air was still, and the minimal wave action was all cutting under the mounds of ice which now comprise the shore. Was a strange feeling to realize how far out over the water I was after walking out to the edge image.thumb.jpeg.91c3bbb1439342b976aca1abe636080a.jpeg

image.thumb.png.7b5d798726ae67277b1ed09c4fe7f571.png

Just now, SnOvechkin said:

Near New Buffalo, Lake Michigan last week. Looks like the freezing spray and tops of waves all froze solid. The water was incredibly calm; air was still, and the minimal wave action was all cutting under the mounds of ice which now comprise the shore. Was a strange feeling to realize how far out over the water I was after walking out to the edge image.thumb.jpeg.91c3bbb1439342b976aca1abe636080a.jpeg

image.thumb.png.7b5d798726ae67277b1ed09c4fe7f571.png

53 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

Ground is 100% frost free -- I know that.

The ground may be frost-free, but the shore certainly is not!

image.thumb.png.4813121cab71432985d5a8c704c934f7.png

• Like 1

Is it just my or could Let's Talk Weather, Winter Banter, January thread, Short/medium, Medium/Long be consolidated? Short and Long range instead of having two medium range threads. Then a Winter banter. At the very least we could remove either the monthly or the winter banter, as these five threads have a lot of overlap

14 minutes ago, SnOvechkin said:
Is it just my or could Let's Talk Weather, Winter Banter, January thread, Short/medium, Medium/Long be consolidated? Short and Long range instead of having two medium range threads. Then a Winter banter. At the very least we could remove either the monthly or the winter banter, as these five threads have a lot of overlap

new guy wants to consolidate the ohio thread with the regular threads.

40 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

new guy wants to consolidate the ohio thread with the regular threads.

Huh? These are all part of the Ohio/lakes board. And now I see a 'short/medium range SEVERE weather thread' as if it couldn't be contained in the other short/medium range thread. And I can only assume the same is done for medium/long range SEVERE vs. the other medium/long range. Good grief

Huh? These are all part of the Ohio/lakes board. And now I see a 'short/medium range SEVERE weather thread' as if it couldn't be contained in the other short/medium range thread. And I can only assume the same is done for medium/long range SEVERE vs. the other medium/long range. Good grief

you’re new here, you have a lot to learn.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, SnOvechkin said:

You missed the big fighting with Ohio in the past.

4 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

Few more frames of the Euro needed but it looks like the time is fast approaching. 

It's good to see all models have the storm, and pretty decent agreement too. All u can ask for at this point. Still scared of the nw trend lol. Always wanna be a lil nw of potential big daddys.

• Like 1

We've had multiple days of flurries in January but have not had snow on the ground since December 29th. I'm going through withdrawals. Shit winters, and especially shit Winter months, happen from time to time but it sucks. This is why I get irritated when people complain about little things like the models overdoing it or snow rates or whatever during average to above average snow seasons. It was nitpicking and after so many snowy winters an average snow season was unacceptable. Welp....NOW is the time to complain!

• Like 1

We've had multiple days of flurries in January but have not had snow on the ground since December 29th. I'm going through withdrawals. Shit winters, and especially shit Winter months, happen from time to time but it sucks. This is why I get irritated when people complain about little things like the models overdoing it or snow rates or whatever during average to above average snow seasons. It was nitpicking and after so many snowy winters an average snow season was unacceptable. Welp....NOW is the time to complain!

beavis, is that you?

• Haha 7