Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2022/23 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

5 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

t-storms have been crap since about 2010.  and they were way better when I was a kid in the 80s/90s.

I've had a few good ones in recent years (not counting the ones that I actually chase, when I usually miss the tornado by my own screw-up), but they're usually not on the days when you're expecting them.

3 hours ago, luckyweather said:

Mchenry county, IL abusing emergency warning system to send out a tornado warning style critical alert that their offices are closing early due to weather. Somebody needs to get their access to the system suspended.

e901107e7e9ad354723e526afbaca144.jpg

Edit: guess I’m not the only person who got them, Twitter lighting up:

a70f1a6108c4bb8a5ef5736db780f7d3.jpg
b5549b753766171ba3be7be1aaec0df4.jpg

Great, now WEAs are gonna become meaningless to most people.

I was skeptical when they used them (at least here in WI) to announce the state COVID-19 lockdown in March of 2020. The virus is invisible and the risk of infection ever-present every time you interact with another person for the foreseeable future. I think they're much more appropriate for short-fuse threats of physical harm that you take cover from and then go about your business once it's over. Tornado warnings, flash flood warnings, gas leak, mass shooter on the loose, zombie apocalypse, etc.

2 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

I was skeptical when they used them (at least here in WI) to announce the state COVID-19 lockdown in March of 2020. The virus is invisible and the risk of infection ever-present every time you interact with another person for the foreseeable future. I think they're much more appropriate for short-fuse threats of physical harm that you take cover from and then go about your business once it's over. Tornado warnings, flash flood warnings, gas leak, mass shooter on the loose, zombie apocalypse, etc.

you know a zombie apocalypse wouldn't be short fuse

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

As of right now, I am the only person in our county that can send a WEA (at least for the time being.)  I also wrote the SOP for sending them.  None of that ticky-tack bs is getting sent on my watch.  However, you did bring up a good point on the zombie apocalypse.  I may have to include that. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Powerball said:

Surprised this thread isn't more active.

Nothing to be active about from here. I've been expecting ~3" and that's what's happening.  The brutal wind and wind chills are still the highlight.  I know you're referring to the ORD crew who thought they were reeling one in, only to have it come off the hook at boat-side.

2 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Nothing to be active about from here. I've been expecting ~3" and that's what's happening.  The brutal wind and wind chills are still the highlight.  I know you're referring to the ORD crew who thought they were reeling one in, only to have it come off the hook at boat-side.

It's still early. I suspect many of the OH/MI folks (outside the LES belts) will end up pretty underwhelmed too.

But yeah, if you had low expectations from the get go, that's a different story.

Wednesday Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. Wednesday Night A chance of rain, snow, and freezing rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Thursday A 30 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42.

CAD life...

I told everyone the torch was coming back. People tried to argue with me.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Went to a restaurant for dinner and there were literally 2 other people eating in there.  

People have gotten soft.  Ooh, a little snow in northwest Indiana.  The horror.

Why would anyone go out in this garbage especially to eat? Ofcourse around here it doesn't seem to stop people from getting out. Funny enough as I am typing this they said on the radio the state police are advising people from traveling i94!because of the amount of accidents they have going on from about here to the Indiana line.. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Why would anyone go out in this garbage especially to eat? Ofcourse around here it doesn't seem to stop people from getting out. Funny enough as I am typing this they said on the radio the state police are advising people from traveling i94!because of the amount of accidents they have going on from about here to the Indiana line.. 

I don't mean going out on the interstate.  I'm in town and it was before the worst of the cold/winds arrived.

11 minutes ago, KokomoWX said:

No change here (IND NWS) but others got blizzard warnings.  

__phenomena_BZ__significance_W__e_all___r_169__dpi_100 (1).png

The flaw with this map though is that it doesn't take into account how widespread the warning was.  LOT had 1 county in the Blizzard Warning, but it still resets the count.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, KokomoWX said:

No change here (IND NWS) but others got blizzard warnings.  

__phenomena_BZ__significance_W__e_all___r_169__dpi_100 (1).png

DTX. Kickin it w/TX, SWMO, & the Carolinas :rolleyes:. I made a joke post before that it was good they didn't upgrade to a BW for blowing dust. But by what someone posted about whiteouts in the Thumb region and how plows were being pulled and no emergency responders after dark, I think they could've/should've upgraded some of those counties tbh. 

• Like 1