Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2022

dmillz25

On 11/28/2022 at 1:25 PM, bluewave said:

You are thinking of 1779-1780 when Philly may have had one day above freezing in January which hasn’t happened since then.

C037A831-AD00-4863-81D8-C94CA5831A63.jpeg.603e58a0a5e2844aa8884b603b2110f5.jpeg

B4C6ABAD-10EA-409B-9910-FF00DE5B6839.thumb.jpeg.c35b8ac9d409bcf65089b02625db2f04.jpeg

10 feet of snow in the Poconos near Stroudsburg!

Question-- the end of the excerpt cut off talking about it being "the only winter in recorded American history during which the waters surrounding"....does that mean the SST was below freezing in our area?

Think about where we were last year at this time and what we were facing. It was my first winter with you guys and I remember hours of doom scrolling as Dec rolled on. 

Considering Boxing Day is my favorite blizzard of my lifetime for many reasons (including because I spent it snowed in with my future wife in our new apartment), this is definitely an exciting feeling. 

Of course we may not get anything that major, but the fact that we potentially could is exciting enough. 

If a stratwarm does occur I wonder if that will be tied back to the major stratospheric cooling in the SH from Hunga Tonga, as per that article that circulated a while back. Maybe, maybe not. But I like where we’re at right now. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Think about where we were last year at this time and what we were facing. It was my first winter with you guys and I remember hours of doom scrolling as Dec rolled on. 

Considering Boxing Day is my favorite blizzard of my lifetime for many reasons (including because I spent it snowed in with my future wife in our new apartment), this is definitely an exciting feeling. 

Of course we may not get anything that major, but the fact that we potentially could is exciting enough. 

If a stratwarm does occur I wonder if that will be tied back to the major stratospheric cooling in the SH from Hunga Tonga, as per that article that circulated a while back. Maybe, maybe not. But I like where we’re at right now. 

Boxing Day was a top storm.

The way it blew up in the middle of Xmas Day was what made it cool.

The fact that the mayor was out of town, and the sanitation workers, and the mayor had something going on also led to a prolonged period of being “shut in” like a much larger storm.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

hopefully not too much blocking or northern parts of the subforum could be in trouble.

12/19/09 was a good example of that...

I'm not worried about that when PNA is still negative to neutral and Nina forcing tends to keep heights low out west. 

This is a lot closer to 10-11 than 09-10 which was also a big Nino year.

• Like 2

The best chance we have is as that pattern starts to break down. It could be a cold/dry pattern for a while if we have a shredder -PNA/-NAO and whatever systems come across can’t consolidate. As the block relaxes somewhat is often when something can really amplify and come up the coast. But it can definitely produce if these long range ensembles happen. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The best chance we have is as that pattern starts to break down. It could be a cold/dry pattern for a while if we have a shredder -PNA/-NAO and whatever systems come across can’t consolidate. As the block relaxes somewhat is often when something can really amplify and come up the coast. But it can definitely produce if these long range ensembles happen. 

Yep exactly what happened in Dec 2010.   That storm came as the pattern relaxed-we torched a bit after that before it reloaded around 1/10 or so.

• Like 3