Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2022 OBS/DISC

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I would like to see it earlier in the season anyways to help fight off any -PNA. It's still early, so any help we can get in the northern latitude would be useful.  Don't need a 4SD block...just a little help.

Yeah that's why I want it in early/mid December when the climo is more precarious. Gives us more wiggle room. Later December into January we can still do ok in a lot of flawed patterns as long as we are avoiding the AK pig.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Hope you are right about 2000-2001, bro...perfect season for my hood.

It has some issues, but not a bad analog.

Of course no 2 seasons are alike but I do like the similarities. It's always interesting in Nov to look ahead. Rolling forward as Will said December could indeed feature that Scandi Ridge. Think I had 15 in 2000. My first year on the Moosup Sterling border and the stark contrast with SWRI made me all giggly

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Just stare at the models. They have all the answers. Meteorology deserves a lot more respect than economics as a field of study. We have ourselves to blame.

:clown:

Actually Mr Pope there is more than modeling to forecast a change. One can see beyond if you know where to look. I have the magic ring though

R15567MS8.jpg

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Just stare at the models. They have all the answers. Meteorology deserves a lot more respect than economics as a field of study. We have ourselves to blame.

:clown:

So are you saying this is 1995 and we should all believe the models are wrong because this weekend will be in the 70s?

• Like 1

Whether the charts have a big glorious EPOridge perfectly and idealy modulating into a positive PNA is just that: that’s the idealize model. Less often does one see the idealize model play out.

FWIW, what I’m looking at over the next two weeks is a classic evolution towards a pattern shift; you first get a tendency for these things to dig into the west/high latitudes …and then the natural progression you end up situating aspects further east - that’s all we’re looking at here.

So yes it can get warm in the foreground vs much colder later but …can also just do a tepid version of that variance …we just have to wait and see.  

Maybe there is some confusion. I don't think anybody is saying the arctic hounds are unleashed and we're blanketed with snow as if this is a scene from Game of Thrones.  I look at this as a change that allows for wintry events (obviously interior favored) and if this lasts into December, increases the chances region wide. It's very simple. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Maybe there is some confusion. I don't think anybody is saying the arctic hounds are unleashed and we're blanketed with snow as if this is a scene from Game of Thrones.  I look at this as a change that allows for wintry events (obviously interior favored) and if this lasts into December, increases the chances region wide. It's very simple. 

I tend to agree here.  

I offer there is a chance for wintry appeal after the 15th … pretty much not changing that for now. 

• Like 1

I don’t get you guys(Pope and 1717)?  

Nobody here is saying anything massive or imminent, just that things look to shift to a more seasonable late fall, early winter like regime after mid month. The signs are being shown on the modeling…. ensembles and Ops runs from multiple suites. I mean isn’t that what we do here?   

There’s nothing wishful/wishcasting about what we’re saying or discussing.  This warm weather is really nice…but it’s gonna change and what’s wrong with saying as much? 

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I don’t get you guys(Pope and 1717)?  

Nobody here is saying anything massive or imminent, just that things look to shift to a more seasonable late fall, early winter like regime after mid month. The signs are being shown on the modeling…. ensembles and Ops runs from multiple suites. I mean isn’t that what we do here?   

There’s nothing wishful/wishcasting about what we’re saying or discussing.  This warm weather is really nice…but it’s gonna change and what’s wrong with saying as much? 

Lots of memes that nobody laughs at and white smoke coming out of chimneys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The Pope hasn’t been the same since he fell on his face on the Jan snowstorm a while back where he dry humped a certain model showcasing a complete whiff and was eventually castrated by the board, went on sabbatical…and somehow returned months later without notice. We remember.

You will be scolded, Repent now.

2FB87E2A-55DB-4F0A-B1F5-529FC0FD007B.gif.3c70280f38a3afe6c34307ca3b4a113a.gif

Its pretty hard to argue against a pattern change when we're going from a huge AK pig currently, to a -EPO with initial dump of cold out west (while we continue to torch), and then eventually the EPO rolling over on itself and ending the furnace here.

You can argue whether that means first snow chances or just merely chillier/normal weather for mid/late November, but it's a far cry from what we've seen and what we're going to see for the next week to 10 days.

55 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

What a great stretch of weather. Yesterday was gorgeous, today is gorgeous and the next few days look pretty damn nice.

This is what I've been saying. November is usually the worst month of the year for weather in NE, just weeks of gloom, sticks, and temps maxing in the high 40s. This pattern is a gift. Many would pay to guarantee this pattern all of Oct and November with a hard flip around Thanksgiving. That looks to be the case this year and yet the weenies are still dissatisfied....tsk tsk. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

This is what I've been saying. November is usually the worst month of the year for weather in NE, just weeks of gloom, sticks, and temps maxing in the high 40s. This pattern is a gift. A few would pay to guarantee this pattern all of Oct and November with a hard flip around Thanksgiving. That looks to be the case this year and yet the weenies are still dissatisfied....tsk tsk. 

fyp

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Its pretty hard to argue against a pattern change when we're going from a huge AK pig currently, to a -EPO with initial dump of cold out west (while we continue to torch), and then eventually the EPO rolling over on itself and ending the furnace here.

You can argue whether that means first snow chances or just merely chillier/normal weather for mid/late November, but it's a far cry from what we've seen and what we're going to see for the next week to 10 days.

I don't know where this obnoxious mindset that "everyone is a moron because its warm, even though everyone expected it", comes from. It has to be rooted in some sort of retaliatory defense mechanism.

Revisit in a month.