Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2022 OBS/DISC

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro and EPS both are trying for a cold shot around mid-month now. Might be the first freeze for the non-rad spots. FWIW, ORH latest freeze on record is 11/12 (1977 and 1916)

This year has a legit shot to break that record.

Shocked they haven't had one yet. Multiple frost and got down to 26 at my place so far

29 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Don’t be mean lol

We get those occasionally… winter events, lol.  But no really the times when it seems impossibly warm for so long and then a region wide snow event comes out of no where to end it in a minor torch relaxation.  More likely to get that in a warm January or something, but all it takes is one trough.

Be funny to have a well above normal temp November and sneak in above normal snow from a rogue event.

40 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Just a torch as far as I can see 

Actually great weather . Not what I would want To see If I lived at elevation in NNE but I’ll take it here and enjoy it .

+6/7 departures seem doable this month 

Dominos start to fall by next Tuesday. Large high coming in that'll end the record high temperatures

Just now, CoastalWx said:

EPS continues to look better. Maybe Ginxy will be right!

I don't expect any massive snowstorm for us but certainly NNE will begin its winter season.  Models adjust to the EPO bump everytime. Some serious cold gonna be ejected. Typical progression it seems. Hopefully sets us up for a nice storm last week of Nov first week of Dec.

closer in I still am watching the home brew rainer closely. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I don't expect any massive snowstorm for us but certainly NNE will begin its winter season.  Models adjust to the EPO bump everytime. Some serious cold gonna be ejected. Typical progression it seems. Hopefully sets us up for a nice storm last week of Nov first week of Dec.

closer in I still am watching the home brew rainer closely. 

I’ve seen a lot of EPoh-no too with cold plunging into the Plains and we cut. But the PNA is rising too. 
It could be a blip to and the change slows down,  I haven’t noticed any steps back being taken over the last week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I’ve seen a lot of EPoh-no too with cold plunging into the Plains and we cut. But the PNA is rising too. 
It could be a blip to and the change slows down,  I haven’t noticed any steps back being taken over the last week.

Steady as she goes…we doing ok and have some gorgeous weather to enjoy and start November.  

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Nah not of this magnitude.  Writing on the wall for a couple of weeks now.  Feeling jiggly for a 2000/2001 season flip.

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

We get those occasionally… winter events, lol.  But no really the times when it seems impossibly warm for so long and then a region wide snow event comes out of no where to end it in a minor torch relaxation.  More likely to get that in a warm January or something, but all it takes is one trough.

Be funny to have a well above normal temp November and sneak in above normal snow from a rogue event.

Nov. 1989 was classic, though 3.5° AN thru the 19th doesn't scream "torch".  However, 10.2° BN for the rest of the month was certainly abrupt, along with the thunderblizzard of 11/21.  And Dec 1989 continued the icebox, running 13.7° BN before warming a bit on the 31st.  That day ended a 43-day run of BN temps.

The avg snow for Nov here is a shade over 3" so if we see none, It's not a telltale for the remainder of winter.

Average for Novie here is 4.7", median 2.5".  2006 had only traces while all other years November had some measurable, topped by 23.4" in 2018.

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The western ridging over PNA region is a new development out in the extended EPS. That would make the change more abrupt after mid-month.

We'll see if it sticks.

For the audience that cares to monitor teleconnectors… folks  should be aware that a negative EPO bursts lag-time in that direction; it tends to progress into a positive PNA as the natural progression, leaving the EPO more neutralized in the wake. 

- that’s why repetitive negative EPO oscillation is more effective at getting bitter cold air further south east because that relay becomes largely hemispheric mechanical.  

Speaking to the idealize models that is …obviously these things have nuances and anomalies in behavior along the way too

So yeah it’s easier to do bigger warm extremes after October because of the nature of Earth seasonality and the sun and all that … Still, I don’t recall ever seeing a D5 product throw out a +22 like the 00z MEX

Mind you… These numbers are modulated more more so out in time by climatology so you know you’re getting a high-Fi signal in order to overcoming climate and still push that number that high.  That was always a conventional wisdom. I don’t know if the MOS is still “complicated” that way.  Either way … it is what is. 

Meanwhile the Nam is utterly clueless about what’s going on here; definitely exposes that model as not having the proper heating parameters in the boundary layer which maybe integrates into its fucked upness overall.  Regardless…. It really should be parameterize properly regardless of the time of the year.  60 at BED on Saturday. Okay …

anyway the max 74 on Sunday for both Fitchburg and Bedford sorry Nashua… probably flirts with 80 ..81 provided the models right about the other parameters 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

For the audience that cares to monitor teleconnectors… folks  should be aware that a negative EPO bursts lag-time in that direction; it tends to progress into a positive PNA as the natural progression, leaving the EPO more neutralized in the wake. 

- that’s why repetitive negative EPO oscillation is more effective at getting bitter cold air further south east because that relay becomes largely hemispheric mechanical.  

Speaking to the idealize models that is …obviously these things have nuances and anomalies in behavior along the way too

Yeah when the EPO block "Folds over" itself, the next upstream trough tends to rejuvenate it in the PNA domain or at least closer to the PNA domain....you can kind of see it when we loop the EPS from about day 7 through D12.

Nov2_00zEPSanimate.gif

• Like 1