Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

38 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

Just crawls up the peninsula. Maybe not even a TS by the time it enters GA.

That's likely if it moves that slowly and when also considering the much lower dewpoint air mixing in from the big high to the north. The biggest concern for especially NE FL and far SE GA with that is the potential for major flooding from rains though hopefully enough of the drier air from the Canadian high mixes in to keep rain totals down somewhat.

38 minutes ago, TradeWinds said:

Those dewpoints are unseasonably cold this week in Northern FL.  As storm passes Tampa on GFS, Tallahassee dewpoint is 40F.  Euro in the 30s.  Wow.

The last front through Houston has washed out, temps will be mid-upper 90s only because DPs in mid 60s.  And another dry front passing tonight.  The dry air will be in place if Ian tries to get too far North

21 minutes ago, GaWx said:

That's likely if it moves that slowly and when also considering the much lower dewpoint air mixing in from the big high to the north. The biggest concern for especially NE FL and far SE GA with that is the potential for major flooding from rains though hopefully enough of the drier air from the Canadian high mixes in to keep rain totals down somewhat.

Actually, I would think there would be a lot of overrunning rains tropical air being forced up and over the cooler drier air coming down from the northeast especially if the trailing cold front is still down there.  Flooding is a huge threat.

56 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Not wavering at all.  Be wary on intensity though.  Intensity still holy grail of hurricane forecasting.  Conditions on that track would be favorable for something stronger.  Not saying EURO is wrong but there is upside potential on a track coming in around or south of Tampa.

Fact that EURO is not wavering for several runs now has to lead to higher confidence for landfall west coast of FL vs. Panhandle. 

Intensity is bigger question in my mind on a track like EURO is showing.

12Z JMA looks very similar to 12Z Euro 

4 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Actually, I would think there would be a lot of overrunning rains tropical air being forced up and over the cooler drier air coming down from the especially if the trailing cold front is still down there.  Flooding is a huge threat.

I agree. Indeed, flooding, especially Brunswick south into much of FL where the higher dewpoint air looks to be, is a huge threat as of now. I'm just saying that the lower the dewpoints can get from the dry Canadian high to the north, the lower the potential for extreme rainfall amounts due to lower PWATs since there's a strong correlation between heavier rainfall potential and higher dewpoint air. I'm thinking mainly about north of FL, where the lower dewpoints would have a higher chance to mix in better.

19 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

This weakening seems to be on all models.

I don't see a major drop if it can landfall before the dry air reaches the core, which isn't a rapid process per Derek Ortt's MS thesis if shear is low.  Shear near landfall If near TPA) isn't terrible.  Loop TT Euro PWAT and 250 mb wind forecasts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hotair said:

Crap! Euro really wants to end Tampa’s streak of cane free seasons. 
my South Tampa home will be under water if Ian does anything remotely like this model insists on. 

7A41771A-67D3-4621-89EB-EB6B891F4083.png

Yeah we are at risk of property loss except what fits in the cars.

Still high uncertainty with the track and intensity at this stage, could easily miss to the south.

22 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

Not necessarily. Surge would be worse in the first scenario. Look at the difference between Katrina and Ida.

Either way I suspect Tampa Bay will mostly be surprised and shaken if one of these being in the cone of a big Hurricane ever actually hits us. Granted we were relieved when Irma went in south, but it was a hard few weeks after anyways even with the near miss.

2 minutes ago, TPAwx said:

Still high uncertainty with the track and intensity at this stage, could easily miss to the south.

Were you reading my mind or was I reading yours when we posted at the same time! LOL

"Granted we were relieved when Irma went in south, but it was a hard few weeks after anyways even with the near miss. "

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tiger_deF said:

Ian's structure is improving, but it looks absolutely terrible on IR (considering it was forecasted to be near hurricane strength by now)

c959d7ec-bf56-434b-9562-51961b02b947.jpeg

It's funny how we see this happen so much over the last coupel years or so.

But if it was heading into the Yucatan, we'd see the most beautiful crystal clears eyes. Or maybe if was less than 70 miles from western Louisiana.

3 minutes ago, bdgwx said:

A blend of the 12Z cycle GFS, ECMWF, and UKMET ensembles are showing a landfall south of Tallahasse, FL between hour 120 and 144. It looks like this is a tick west of the 2pm EDT NHC official track.

olRVyYA.png

not sure how that can be that west when Euro and UKMET are east and the GFS shifted east just now towards Tally so not sure I am buying too much into that based on the 12Z Euro and UKMET

17 minutes ago, tiger_deF said:

Ian's structure is improving, but it looks absolutely terrible on IR (considering it was forecasted to be near hurricane strength by now)

c959d7ec-bf56-434b-9562-51961b02b947.jpeg

Have to agree.  Was expecting better looking than this by Sunday evening.  Overall structure looking better on last visible pictures of the day.  Outflow only restricted on the western side.  No organization to the convection but it is trying hard.   Based on 12Z guidance would expect TPC 5 pm advisory to leave cone in place from 11am.  If any adjustment I think it would be slightly to the right in a nod to the persistent UKMET and especially EURO that have really not budged.  Intensity forecast should also likely stay the same or perhaps come down a notch. Most of the latest guidance still has Ian peaking in the 125 to 140 mph before weakening as it approaches landfall.

3 minutes ago, bdgwx said:

A blend of the 12Z cycle GFS, ECMWF, and UKMET ensembles are showing a landfall south of Tallahasse, FL between hour 120 and 144. It looks like this is a tick west of the 2pm EDT NHC official track.

olRVyYA.png

Recon data since these models first initialized shows storm moved further to the North than forecasted. I suspect the more western models will continue to creep eastwardly as new runs kick off. 

• Scott747 changed the title to Hurricane Ian