Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Wednesday March 9th wet snow(snow TV?) threat

George BM

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

3k NAM sounding for MBY is only above freezing right at the surface. I’d it can thump like that at 7-9am, it should accumulate on grassy and elevated surfaces. 

Absolutely.    High rates would allow those us north of town to get some whitening for sure.     I'm cautiously getting on board with the idea of seeing some accumulations on certain surfaces, as even the models which are typically too warm in these scenarios are close to showing this scenario.      If I lived north of I-70, I'd be feeling good about about increasing chances for a few inches.

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

If that doesn’t do it then hopefully colder temperatures over the weekend will… I imagine we go below freezing maybe

Stink bugs survive well below freezing.

I remember a few years ago filling up and a damn stink bug was on the filler cap.  It was in the mid teens.  Surely it was dead I thought.  Nope, touched it and its legs moved, albeit very slowly.

This winter experienced  many more morning lows well below that of last winter. Hopefully that does result in less insects but I doubt it.  If my wife gets stung by a wasp it's a death sentence so I have to seek and destroy nests in the spring.  Particularly paper wasps and yellow jackets.  Fortunately I'm not allergic but their stings, especially getting dozens of them when trying to get away from a ripped up nest on a tractor is not fun.

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

GFS shoved a lot of its chips in…

To be less vague, it’s an improvement.

1d2b8290e6f3ac55c9af5f5444f73528.jpg

Two things. 1) that mfing hole over NWVa and the WV panhandle has been there all year and 2) were these graphics created by a computer running an Atari operating system?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Im not pulling this out of nowhere...mainly just referring to PSUs point a couple weeks back. I cant remember the entire post, but he did say how the urban areas are likely experiencing less marginal snow events...or something of that sort anyway, maybe he can chime in to correct what I am wrong on.

7 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I don’t doubt that, but it’s because it’s warmer. I guess you might say what was once marginal is now more marginal.

This…I obviously don’t have the ability to prove anything with statistical significance but deductive reasoning paints the picture.  Just putting some facts together.

1. Temps have warmed in the metro areas most.  
2.Boundary temps are affected the most of all levels.

3. I was struck by how many of the snow events in dc and Balt happened with temps right near 32!  

What bothers me most is the amount of times recently we’ve seen synoptic setups that SHOULD support snow, good tracks, decent thicknesses, and it’s a 36 degree rain event.  I do think 30 years ago those were snow and it’s why our avg is dropping. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

NAM is no good. This is quickly going the wrong way. Shocker.

The chance for some wet snow in the cities is waning but we knew it was unlikely to be much of a threat outside of the northern spots. Still could be sneaky for some along the PA line, I mean nothing crazy but a wet stat padder on grass for losetoa6, PSU, Mappy etc

1 hour ago, Baltimorewx said:

The chance for some wet snow in the cities is waning but we knew it was unlikely to be much of a threat outside of the northern spots. Still could be sneaky for some along the PA line, I mean nothing crazy but a wet stat padder on grass for losetoa6, PSU, Mappy etc

We get those all the time here.  Enough to make everything pretty including the pine forests as long as it's not too windy.
Very little stickage to the lanes/walks and even if it does the sun this time of year torches it through the clouds.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic