Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Overrunning Event 02/03-02/04/22

dryslot

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Since school resumed in early January many school districts have lost entire days or partial days due to Covid testing for the school staff, Jan 7th snowstorm,  a cold day(1/11), MLK Day, and now today.....oh and add in the ever popular "Professional Development Day" that many school districts have at least once per month.

You would have loved 2015.  
  PD days and federal holidays are baked into the schedule.  we still have kids 180 days.   Winter weather happens.  Deal with it

• Like 2

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

32.4F here now. Still think it’s at least another 90 min though until we creep below freezing. It’s mostly 32s until you get to near Andover and Georgetown where the 30s and 31s show up. 

Is there some kind of latent heat process that slows it from 32.00001 to 31.99999?

Also, is 32.00000 freezing? Or is a number that precise a conceptual fallacy to begin with.

Just now, JC-CT said:

Is there some kind of latent heat process that slows it from 32.00001 to 31.99999?

Also, is 32.00000 freezing? Or is a number that precise a conceptual fallacy to begin with.

It's 32.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

assuming your pressure is XXX (not sure what that is).

• Thanks 1

I enjoyed this apology in the BTV forecast discussion this morning:

Previous Discussion...Overall winter storm conditions are
playing out nicely this morning with widespread moderate to
heavy snow across most of the region. Unfortunately our forecast
did underestimate the potential for freezing rain and sleet in
far southern Windsor county where several hours of moderate
freezing rain have been observed at the Springfield Airport, and
we`ve seen many reports on social media supporting this with
some sleet observed in the Ludlow area. KVSF so far has accreted
almost 3 tenths of an inch of ice, and with a couple more hours
until a full changeover to snow, that storm total ice will
likely push closer to 4 tenths. Sorry Springfielders!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it will be there in the next couple hours or so. It’s gonna get pretty icy. 

I've been out of the loop. Pretty impressive acreation map from BOX. This would be one of the more substantial icing events I've ever seen inside Boston. 

We used to barely ever ice. We've had several of these the past few years. 

Less than a half inch of ice?! That's a ton for here! 

5 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Maybe you should contact your local school board and volunteer your expertise to make the call about if and when road surfaces might become hazardous!  And of course, give them 100% certainty about road conditions, sidewalk & parking lot conditions during the 2-hour window needed for a complete bus run on early dismissal days.  Maybe also take on all the legal and insurance liability should you be off by a few minutes and an icing situation causes a bus accident... Make sure you coordinate with all other towns your town may share bus routes & programs with?  Lastly, when they ask you about the WXA that is effect, tell them not to worry about it's just a NWS scare tactic.  Of course, if travel becomes hazardous during the bus trips home, get ready for your phone to ring endlessly as parents scream at you that there was a WXA being in effect!   Just some comments from a guy who has spent more than 30 years fielding questions and organizing conference calls with dozens (90 to be exact) of Superintendents at 4 am during potentially hazardous conditions.  They all want to have normal days.  But they will almost always err on the side of safety unless the confidence level of no chance of hazardous travel is high.   

Yea. That closure for 1” of snow the other week when it stopped snowing at 10am was warranted. Look, I get it…it’s not an easy job/decision with tons of factors at play but let’s not act like we haven’t gotten soft. Whatever their reasonings are (liability, etc), which are valid, it has a massive effect on parents. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Not much snow left in Columbia up on the hill. At home there's a solid 2 to 4 with some 5/6 inch spots. Looks like we will survive with full cover at home. Guess winter is over in Tolland but continues at home if one uses the DIT logic

Not worth it to keep this dirty crusty garbage at this point. Spring soccer before you know it!

6 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

32* with sleet, and lots of it. roads are a disaster. I was behind a pickup truck on the highway that may have been going a bit too fast, but nothing crazy. he went to change lanes and started fishtailing. I thought for sure he was going to hit the guardrail and sling across the lanes, so i braked as much as i could without skidding. somehow, the guy managed to save it. He is probably now heading to the car wash to get the shit cleaned off his front seat, then to TJ Maxx to buy clean underwear.

Where is here???

2 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

It will cool until it gets to 32 and then the very process of water trying to freeze will release latent heat and halt the cooling unless the advection is stronger than the rate of latent heat release. We have advection going on so the cooling likely won’t stop completely but the trip from 40s to 32 is a lot faster than 32 to 31 because of that. So I think most of us rot around 32 until the secondary push comes in. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

It will cool until it gets to 32 and then the very process of water trying to freeze will release latent heat and halt the cooling unless the advection is stronger than the rate of latent heat release. We have advection going on so the cooling likely won’t stop completely but the trip from 40s to 32 is a lot faster than 32 to 31 because of that. So I think most of us rot around 32 until the secondary push comes in. 

Knew there was something like this that solidified flash freeze's spot on the fraud five

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. That closure for 1” of snow the other week when it stopped snowing at 10am was warranted. Look, I get it…it’s not an easy job/decision with tons of factors at play but let’s not act like we haven’t gotten soft. Whatever their reasonings are (liability, etc), which are valid, it has a massive effect on parents. 

Gotten soft is a MASSIVE understatement. Also, unfortunately lawyers inform the closings now more than the weather many times

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Of course, you were praying for the day off today lol. 

I’m adding to the local economy by drinking at 7:30.   (Just coffee…but I bought it locally!).  

My dog was having difficulty getting down our steps just now.   Ice starting up on ground level surfaces. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

All of the schools districts now have the ability to provide education remotely. I applaud the school districts that cancel in session education but still conduct the educational process online. 

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

I’m adding to the local economy by drinking at 7:30.   (Just coffee…but I bought it locally!).  

My dog was having difficulty getting down our steps just now.   Ice starting up on ground level surfaces. 

Lol. Drink away, and add a little ‘adult juice’. Teachers deserve the all the time off man. You are the backbone of our society.