joxey
New England Overrunning Event 02/03-02/04/22

dryslot

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That’s why it’s better to not to watch. There’s nothing to see for us SoP. A little partying glaze here later this morning and they schools down, weak.

Maybe you should contact your local school board and volunteer your expertise to make the call about if and when road surfaces might become hazardous!  And of course, give them 100% certainty about road conditions, sidewalk & parking lot conditions during the 2-hour window needed for a complete bus run on early dismissal days.  Maybe also take on all the legal and insurance liability should you be off by a few minutes and an icing situation causes a bus accident... Make sure you coordinate with all other towns your town may share bus routes & programs with?  Lastly, when they ask you about the WXA that is effect, tell them not to worry about it's just a NWS scare tactic.  Of course, if travel becomes hazardous during the bus trips home, get ready for your phone to ring endlessly as parents scream at you that there was a WXA being in effect!   Just some comments from a guy who has spent more than 30 years fielding questions and organizing conference calls with dozens (90 to be exact) of Superintendents at 4 am during potentially hazardous conditions.  They all want to have normal days.  But they will almost always err on the side of safety unless the confidence level of no chance of hazardous travel is high.   

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Maybe you should contact your local school board and volunteer your expertise to make the call about if and when road surfaces might become hazardous!  And of course, give them 100% certainty about road conditions, sidewalk & parking lot conditions during the 2-hour window needed for a complete bus run on early dismissal days.  Maybe also take on all the legal and insurance liability should you be off by a few minutes and an icing situation causes a bus accident... Make sure you coordinate with all other towns your town may share bus routes & programs with?  Lastly, when they ask you about the WXA that is effect, tell them not to worry about it's just a NWS scare tactic.  Of course, if travel becomes hazardous during the bus trips home, get ready for your phone to ring endlessly as parents scream at you that there was a WXA being in effect!   Just some comments from a guy who has spent more than 30 years fielding questions and organizing conference calls with dozens (90 to be exact) of Superintendents at 4 am during potentially hazardous conditions.  They all want to have normal days.  But they will almost always err on the side of safety unless the confidence level of no chance of hazardous travel is high.   

:clap:

12 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It’s been 33° here since 4 AM so that last degree down is a tough one to get. 

Yeah.  We're 33* now here......no subfreezing nearby.  I'm hoping we can get to sleet--I really don't want to be walking the dog in pouring rain.  Might need to bite the bullet though.

In February of 2016 we had an icing event here in N ORH.   Our local school district had a 2 hour delay.  

Out friend’s daughter was driving herself and her brother to school when she hit ice and spun out on Rte 62.  She was killed instantly and her brother was seriously injured. 

Take ice seriously.    

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

In February of 2016 we had an icing event here in N ORH.   Our local school district had a 2 hour delay.  

Out friend’s daughter was driving herself and her brother to school when she hit ice and spun out on Rte 62.  She was killed instantly and her brother was seriously injured. 

Take ice seriously.    

100%...you dont f around with ice. I'm not even particularly happy my gf went to work in Farmington today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

With the entire state below freezing by 11:00 it was a very good call 

Oh I'm not saying it wasn't a good call for at least northern areas...I actually hit a couple patches on my way into the office this morning. I do seriously doubt that the southern half to third will be below freezing before close to dinner time, but we'll see

24 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

They cancelled the other week when it stopped snowing at 10am after 1” of snow and parents went off. If it doesn’t ice over later to cause issues, it’s gonna get ugly. Not many have the luxury of WFH and getting a sitter. 

Since school resumed in early January many school districts have lost entire days or partial days due to Covid testing for the school staff, Jan 7th snowstorm,  a cold day(1/11), MLK Day,  1/31 some districts were closed or had delayed openings, and now today.....oh and add in the ever popular "Professional Development Day" that many school districts have at least once per month.

• Like 1

32* with sleet, and lots of it. roads are a disaster. I was behind a pickup truck on the highway that may have been going a bit too fast, but nothing crazy. he went to change lanes and started fishtailing. I thought for sure he was going to hit the guardrail and sling across the lanes, so i braked as much as i could without skidding. somehow, the guy managed to save it. He is probably now heading to the car wash to get the shit cleaned off his front seat, then to TJ Maxx to buy clean underwear.

• Like 5