joxey
New England Overrunning Event 02/03-02/04/22

dryslot

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

All of the schools districts now have the ability to provide education remotely. I applaud the school districts that cancel in session education but still conduct the educational process online. 

I dunno. I think snow days should be snow days. Kids need to be kids, not robots. I just question the superintendents who get their forecasts from Mt Tolland. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Maybe you should contact your local school board and volunteer your expertise to make the call about if and when road surfaces might become hazardous!  And of course, give them 100% certainty about road conditions, sidewalk & parking lot conditions during the 2-hour window needed for a complete bus run on early dismissal days.  Maybe also take on all the legal and insurance liability should you be off by a few minutes and an icing situation causes a bus accident... Make sure you coordinate with all other towns your town may share bus routes & programs with?  Lastly, when they ask you about the WXA that is effect, tell them not to worry about it's just a NWS scare tactic.  Of course, if travel becomes hazardous during the bus trips home, get ready for your phone to ring endlessly as parents scream at you that there was a WXA being in effect!   Just some comments from a guy who has spent more than 30 years fielding questions and organizing conference calls with dozens (90 to be exact) of Superintendents at 4 am during potentially hazardous conditions.  They all want to have normal days.  But they will almost always err on the side of safety unless the confidence level of no chance of hazardous travel is high.   

Exactly. I had the responsibility of calling off work for 100 employees with huge implications on financial bottom line. Sometimes 50k to 100k if large events were scheduled that day. My best call was 12/13/07. I called work an hour before that wall came in. Everyone made it home. We lost a 75 k Bar mitza that night. We all remember the nightmares in New England that day.  The CEO of Foxwooss called me and thanked me. I was trusted after that and did not make an uneeded call  once. But believe me I took a lot of shit from a lot of people but safety is number one as you said.

• Like 2

ICE is not something to mess with! PERIOD
Even a .01"in will wreak havoc. Prudent to err on the side of caution in closures.
Crazy world passing judgement on everything. The more people know judgement gets skewed and tailored to their liking.
Another 80F day down here. You know the State that bans books.   

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Some private schools in Ma and some school districts in NH are having remote learning days. 

Great for them.    I would personally want my child in school and would want my own students in person with me than over a Chromebook.  I will be seeing my kids one day later in June.  We will be better for it.  
Remote learning for a vast majority of kids is not optimal.   

1 minute ago, ROOSTA said:

ICE is not something to mess with! PERIOD
Even a .01"in will wreak havoc. Prudent to err on the side of caution in closures.
Crazy world passing judgement on everything. The more people know judgement gets skewed and tailored to their liking.
Another 80F day down here. You know the State that bans books.   

It’s not judgement when you’re affected by it lol. As stated, it’s a tough decision but they lost credibility here when they closed schools for 1” of snow and the sun broke out at 10am, the other week.

• Like 1

Just now, UnitedWx said:

It's been shown thru the you know what that remote learning is about as useful as teats on a boar hog

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Great for them.    I would personally want my child in school and would want my own students in person with me than over a Chromebook.  I will be seeing my kids one day later in June.  We will be better for it.  
Remote learning for a vast majority of kids is not optimal.   

....and the last 10-15 school days in June are optimal when staff and students are fried???

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

To go from 12+OTG  Wednesday morning to this is just a travesty. 2 days of warm siege just ruined winter. Nothing to look forward to next week either 

I got a lot of confused looks on this post the first time around. But it was always so. This is how winter works in SNE.

On 1/28/2022 at 12:36 PM, JC-CT said:

There's a lot we don't know yet, but we should all take solace in knowing that the eventual outcome has already been preordained.

nosnow.jpg

2 minutes ago, 8611Blizz said:

You'll never get your car up that driveway...

I don’t park on the incline. We have a horseshoe driveway adjacent to the steep part. 

This is from a couple weeks ago but here’s what it looks like from the cozy coup point of view 

27D177EC-7D09-4971-AF46-5BA01EE23A22.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1