Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS/DISCO - The Historic James Blizzard of 2022

TalcottWx

4 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Blizzard of 78 still stands alone 

Yes it does. If this would've captured earlier and slowed it would've made a run at it. I'll be 61 in a few weeks. All the big storms since the 78 blizzard it has been said many times, that was a big storm but doesn't compare to the 78 blizzard. I had 3 feet of snow on the street I'm at now. It was my parents at the time. It took a 5 yard payloader to clear the street. Even that thing started to spin tires after pushing up a 20 foot pile of snow. Driver would back up floor it and smash the pile into someone's lawn. 4 days before they cleared the street. Don't think I'll see that again in my life time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I only ended up with 7" but this was a 2X better storm than Jan 7th despite getting 11.1" that storm. Wind, cold, long duration, daytime, near blizzard conditions..its way more than just about the final number

We had some bad luck with subsidence a few times today. We probably could've done double digits again, but definitely a deep winter appeal out there.

11 minutes ago, Vinny Findley said:

You can add the heated hand grips. Last time I looked when I bought mine it was $79 or $89 dollars. Mine came with them. Was looking for a friend when I bought mine. Just looked now. $153.59. Outrageous!!!

I saw your post, I’m going to look into it… might be a gift to myself when I get my taxes back 

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Mid levels looked so good for SE MA. I think the biggest issue the convection played was not throwing enough moisture west for the western folks. But the forcing on that main band just overwhelmed any issues there.

Yeah by 00z I started to think it could happen.  Still was unsure of 25-30+ but that band lasted for hours. I’m sure if there was no wind it would be 3’

1 minute ago, andyhb said:

Did places in N RI and SE MA legit get 4 feet in 1978 or is that just urban legend?

Most maps I see from that are around 3 feet or so in the jackpot zones.

I saw a map with over 50" in Rhode Island, it was really impossible to measure, all I know is I never saw that much snow and huge drifts before or after.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm estimating 2 feet here just based off of nothing but past experience of what 2 feet of snow looks like. I could be way off though hah. 

This hobby is draining. I made a deal with owner of this hotel to shovel for a free night. Just finished. I'm on like 3 hours sleep, good night all

Screenshot_20220129-193554_RadarScope.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yea my board total was 22 but depth was already down to 19. What I did notice on my ride in was there was some paste from  Scotland to Windham. Interesting. 

I think it was pasty here.... I think it might be implicated in us barely getting 9 inches out of all that. I mean it was snowing very hard for several hours.

6 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

that was quite the interesting weenie band that just hung out over your way

Yes... It had looked for a couple of days like there would be a secondary band further west; I really didn't get into the best part of it.  I think srn Hartford, eastern New Haven and Middlesex County had much better rates than I did.  The eastern CT band was the sweet spot for CT.  Horrible storm to try to measure snow totals, wind and shredded flakes?  My guess we are going to see if lots of under reporting due to conditions.

• Like 1