Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

This is Juno but 40 miles further east. 

Further east than Juno and I can leave the snowblower in the shed....and I'm just across the Arthur Kill. The depictions of the various maps show around 6-8 for here, Juno was around 7 inches. I would think further east would be much less for this area. For me this isn't a tough forecast because I'm not in the thick of it; it's just a matter of will it be a nuisance or significant. Anything more would be gravy. My BIL in ME though, he is going to be screaming bloody murder at the notion of a big snow. Dude hates the stuff. Go figure.

9 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Based on the 700mb features it makes sense to me where the heavy snow bands would be located at least. It would start over central to eastern Suffolk and then obliterate their way up into E CT into MA. Good snow would make it back to NYC but not the death band stuff. It looks like Juno 2015 pretty much. 1/4/18 had a similar track/upper air features and may have a similar evolution in the end.

BTW, don't look at the 3k NAM. Total dud pretty much. :lol: 

Incredible how fickle this all is. Fingers crossed that these tucked in, wrapped up models win out. 

Kind of looks like March 13 2018 a bit with the track.

I had 9.5 of cement as the temp profile was terrible. 

9 minutes ago, psv88 said:

This is Juno but 40 miles further east. 

Every time you mention the name Juno it gives undo credibility to the Weather channel's marketing ploy of naming winter storms.

Secondly, I didn't see a single flake in that storm 25 miles West of the city. This storm will make it much further West even if the more tucked in solutions are incorrect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, USCG RS said:

Models are tools, not what the eventual outcome of the weather will be.

So if the H5 is gorgeous and the sfc is horrific, I am going to forecast with the H5 in mind and let the sfc play catch up (if it ever does)

How often does the H5 in mind with no surface back up turn out to be valid vs. a bust?

36 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Definite improvements on 18Z NAM.  Does not do much to help us west of I95ers but much better look for bigger snows I95 south and east and across LI.  Window is closing for western and northern areas for anything more than a minor to perhaps moderate event.

I am out in Bethlehem, PA - not really expecting anything.  What is crazy are some of those EPS members.  By my count 10 of those 50 members would give me 12” +.  Brings new definition to the term “Go big or go home.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Yeah, just like Juno...

I_nw_EST_2022012718_041.png

To be clear, you expect this to have more effects to the west than Juno did? I was not aware it was so paltry up your way; I guess 7 inches was a win over here then. It did snow a lot that winter though, but nothing over about 9 inches and quite a few 4-5. Again, thanks for the analysis.

40 minutes ago, wthrmn654 said:

Recon plane took off from New Orleans/gulf area and looks like, heading eastbound.. 

That is the flight that will be sampling the western Atlantic for the 0z runs.  There are two flights scheduled to go out over the PAC as well.  Again the intention is for this data to make it into the 0z model suite.  The update for tomorrow is for two flights over the western Atlantic and two over the PAC.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

RGEM is solid-thinking we see other models beef up the QPF output as we get closer to go time  (western side)

I definitely think us Connecticut folks will do pretty well with the storm.

I agree the western side will fill out more than is modeled ..the bands are going to set up where they want to and hopefully we are under them .

10 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

I hate comparing to past storms because they are all different in some ways. Plus, the names are trash. Wish that never happened. 

On the naming I totally agree.  I don't care that much, but am surprised that this group is accepting of it.  Seems like the sort of overly commercial thing that would get pulverized here.

On the other hand it's a sign of the greatly increased frequency of snowstorms over the last 20 years.  Growing up I would have had Aaron ('83.)  That's it.

• Like 3

Rgem has the double barrel feature low and less intense LP, whereas the NAM basically consolidated the lows into one was more westerly focused with the low and deeper... and the RGEM still produced a bigger snow output north and west. I think the NAMs solution would produce a lot more for NYC and NW