• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

27 minutes ago, FXWX said:

That's only the ones who live and die with modeled snow totals and don't appreciate what a dynamic upper air setup is capable of doing and has done in the past; especially the evolution of that 500 mb low.

No offense, but that's not really fair to dismiss concerns about being on the fringes just because it's a big dynamic storm. March 2014 was as dynamic an upper air setup as they come...just too far east. Not saying this is March 2014, it's not...but there's always a fringe.

260px-March_2014_nor'easter_2014-03-26.j

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I suspect the Capital District of eastern NYS is the real western "edge" to this one - would not be shocked..

Using the 12z Euro ... which, it's accedemic as most guidance has this below, these are about as close to the idealized jet couplet paradigm for explosive snow shield expansion over/within the cold sectors of winter coastal storms, as you will ever see.  This is the 300 mb centered on 48 hours (Sat 12z...). 

The models are definitely suspect with how far W the snow shield will expand imho -

image.png.a55a6dd39577ba36e25d033e26b10a7f.png

The yellow circle is also the top of the evac channeling for the exit region of a 110 kt 500 mb jet curling around the eastern side and running up N of height falls approaching the M/A.   These models should really have at least light to moderate snows expanding over that region of NY ...possibly as the western extent...  

Yup.. You can see Logan 11’s silver hair blowing horizontally in the wind today . He’s standing at the property at 1300’ and the hair reaches to the 1150’ portion. Gleaming in the sun 

As mentioned the spread in the 12z EPS has only grown larger from 06z and 00z. Not really what you like to see this close to an event.

What surprised me was how many members have really ugly solutions. For example, 30% of members have <6" of snow for Boston. That's not an insignificant amount and it has increased from 00z.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-ne-snow_ge_6-3544000.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-ne-mslp_with_low_locs-3457600.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Weenie 1

54 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

The Great Lakes blizzard of Jan 25-26 1978 reached a central pressure of 955 mbs at Sarnia ON (south end of L Huron lat 43N) around 12z 26th. I know of some storms that have hit eastern Canada into the low 940s but that is further north of course. You could also look up data for a storm on Mar 1-2 1914 near NYC that had very low central pressures (and gave NYC 14" snow, don't know what happened in New England, the low was south of Islip).

Yes and essentially proves my point. 

Sarnia is the same latitude as the central gulf of Maine—Portsmouth NH. That’s your extreme high end up here. 

I just looked at some historical weather maps for the Blizzard of (March 12-13) 1888. The track of that looked pretty similar to what the NAM was showing around 06z today and the eventual map for the blizzard near ACK looks similar to the Euro 57-60h maps. Looks to me like those very high snowfall amounts were partly due to a rather slow forward speed of the storm. However I bet the ocean SST values in March 1888 were a good 5-10 F deg lower than what this storm is working with. 

My forecast would be like a few others I have seen here in map form although I would almost double some of the numbers in some cases. Think there will be places just inland from the east coast of MA with 35-42 inch outcomes. ORH won't be far off that either. An axis of heaviest snow will then extend southwest through RI into se CT and across LI Sound into Suffolk County LI. Amounts in that zone will probably be in the 20-30 inch range. There may be a secondary band further west that allows a few places in w/c MA into far w CT and possibly over towards LGA-JFK (with LI Sound squalls) to reach 18" with a bit of a lull in between bands 14-18. 

Seeing Albany near zero on some guidance that seems a bit pessimistic to me, maybe 2-4" there. Eventually there is going to be some Lake Ontario snow squall bands drawn into this departing circulation. 

When I see max snowfall over the Cape, I have to wonder, how realistic is that, wouldn't various factors such as low ratios and mixing lead to a cap of perhaps 24" out there? So that could be the max in a GFS east-track scenario I suppose, but if the Euro verifies then I would think the max would be places like (*hauls out atlas*) Lowell, Marlborough, Milford, even as far west as Worcester. But BOS could be close with 36" not out of reach. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 3

1 minute ago, Roger Smith said:

I just looked at some historical weather maps for the Blizzard of (March 12-13) 1888. The track of that looked pretty similar to what the NAM was showing around 06z today and the eventual map for the blizzard near ACK looks similar to the Euro 57-60h maps. Looks to me like those very high snowfall amounts were partly due to a rather slow forward speed of the storm. However I bet the ocean SST values in March 1888 were a good 5-10 F deg lower than what this storm is working with. 

My forecast would be like a few others I have seen here in map form although I would almost double some of the numbers in some cases. Think there will be places just inland from the east coast of MA with 35-42 inch outcomes. ORH won't be far off that either. An axis of heaviest snow will then extend southwest through RI into se CT and across LI Sound into Suffolk County LI. Amounts in that zone will probably be in the 20-30 inch range. There may be a secondary band further west that allows a few places in w/c MA into far w CT and possibly over towards LGA-JFK (with LI Sound squalls) to reach 18" with a bit of a lull in between bands 14-18. 

Seeing Albany near zero on some guidance that seems a bit pessimistic to me, maybe 2-4" there. Eventually there is going to be some Lake Ontario snow squall bands drawn into this departing circulation. 

When I see max snowfall over the Cape, I have to wonder, how realistic is that, wouldn't various factors such as low ratios and mixing lead to a cap of perhaps 24" out there? So that could be the max in a GFS east-track scenario I suppose, but if the Euro verifies then I would think the max would be places like (*hauls out atlas*) Lowell, Marlborough, Milford, even as far west as Worcester. But BOS could be close with 36" not out of reach. 

Thanks, Roger George0001

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

As mentioned the spread in the 12z EPS has only grown larger from 06z and 00z. Not really what you like to see this close to an event.

What surprised me was how many members have really ugly solutions. For example, 30% of members have <6" of snow for Boston. That's not an insignificant amount and it has increased from 00z.

Must be a slew of gfs like members 

6 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I don’t like the cluster east there. Seems like the OP was on the western side of its own ensembles.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1