• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

22 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm not too worried about the EPS spread...the superior res of the OP should have a firm handle on this at day 2. There was also some decent split at times with respect to MLK, which never made a bit of difference, ultimately.

Yeah, the period of greatest ensemble utility isn't just a superstition. The closer to an event we get, the better and more reliable data we get, so we don't need to do these prognostic functional transformations to our numerical models because we have much less of a sampling error risk and spread to account for.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

As others have mentioned it looks like two clusters in the EPS, which could be increasing spread despite there only being two "right" answers. To me it looks like the EPS got a little worse aloft in the mean, so I would expect probabilities and whatnot to come down slightly.

Or the day shift was only 50% confident you might get 6 inches. :lol:

I saw they moved the needle north of there, They must feel good about my 8.5" now.........:)

Me and some other meteorology classmates/friends are looking to chase this bad boy up there in MA. Never experienced a true New England blizzard and already looking at AirBnB's to book. We found a place north of Boston in Beverly, MA. 1) How does that location look for this storm, snow and wind wise? Euro and NAM look impressive, want to know if anybody thinks there could be a better spot 2.) How does that location typically do wind wise. Close enough to the coast for winds? 3.) How is that area with regard to plowing, etc.?

1 minute ago, Newman said:

Me and some other meteorology classmates/friends are looking to chase this bad boy up there in MA. Never experienced a true New England blizzard and already looking at AirBnB's to book. We found a place north of Boston in Beverly, MA. 1) How does that location look for this storm, snow and wind wise? Euro and NAM look impressive, want to know if anybody thinks there could be a better spot 2.) How does that location typically do wind wise. Close enough to the coast for winds? 3.) How is that area with regard to plowing, etc.?

Look on the south shore. Southern coastal plain between BOS and cape

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

As others have mentioned it looks like two clusters in the EPS, which could be increasing spread despite there only being two "right" answers. To me it looks like the EPS got a little worse aloft in the mean, so I would expect probabilities and whatnot to come down slightly.

Or the day shift was only 50% confident you might get 6 inches. :lol:

Why are we that surprised some of the lower res ensembles are waffling around with respect to the time of closure and dual lows, when every other global has been? I just trust the OP EURO here....I mean, could it tic east some, sure...would not surprise me. We probably end up with a solution less impressive than that 12z EURO OP run, but I would be shocked if this threat evaporates in favor of a fish low at this juncture....but again, a Juno esc later capture would not shock me, so maybe its 1' instead of 2' here.

Just now, Newman said:

BVY will be pretty good for winds. Even better place would be Cape Ann just to the east because they are exposed to the north by water....Gloucester or Rockport. Those two towns are just E of BVY and they will have much better winds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newman said:

go south shore

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Why are we that surprised some of the lower res ensembles are waffling around with respect to the time of closure and dual lows, when every other global has been. I just trust the OP EURO here....I mean, could it tic east some, sure...would not surprise me. We probably end up with a solution less impressive than that 12z EURO OP run, but I would be shocked if this threat evaporates in favor of a fish low at this juncture....but again, a Juno esc later capture would not shock me, so maybe its 1' instead of 2' here.

The weird thing is we have seen the spread increase in the EPS fairly dramatically from 00z to 6z to 12z. 

And it's no just the dual low thing... there are some real eastern outliers that are struggling to get precip even to Boston.

Doubt they're right but a few red flags to consider.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, CT Rain said:

The weird thing is we have seen the spread increase in the EPS fairly dramatically from 00z to 6z to 12z. 

And it's no just the dual low thing... there are some real eastern outliers that are struggling to get precip even to Boston.

Right....some members are pulling the crap that the UK and GEM have doing...wild eastward swings. That will increase spread.

Just now, CT Rain said:

Plenty of red flags right now to be honest. Especially for your forecast area.