Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 2022 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

33 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

All depends where ya go. Been at it over 30 years, and it’s not a waste at all if you get your moneys worth each season.  I take 3 good trips each winter(once in a while I’ll do 4 trips), 4-5 days at a clip(includes the weekend/long weekends), and believe me I get my fill.  Where I go season is not short most years. And conditions are almost always fabulous.  

Doing an 8 day trip next month from Jackman to County back through Milli. Never been on a trip that long and trying to figure out best way to pack for this. Few pair of underwear, some socks, bathroom essentials, shoes, two shirts and jeans. That's it. Need to pack some injection oil on the off chance we can't get any where we're going.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Doing an 8 day trip next month from Jackman to County back through Milli. Never been on a trip that long and trying to figure out best way to pack for this. Few pair of underwear, some socks, bathroom essentials, shoes, two shirts and jeans. That's it. Need to pack some injection oil on the off chance we can't get any where we're going.

We used to do a six day trip through Canada staying at a different location every night. Group of thirty of us! We had the luxury of having somebody bring our luggage to every stop so we didn't have to pack it with us. Make sure you have a first-aid kit and plenty of Advil! Also a fuel rated siphon and tow strap aren't a bad idea

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I love snowmobiling, we owned 2 growing up as a kid and went fairly regularly. But it might be the biggest waste of time and money hobby going in this part of the country.

My dad loved to snowmobile too, but he said the day he sold them was probably his best day as a snowmobile owner, given the amount of time and effort for such a short season. Not to mention the $$

I’m selling my 05 Polaris Friday, haven’t ridden seriously for 7 years for more than a quick rip around town in a snowstorm…snowplowing, marriage and a toddler, and another on the way will make it even harder going forward. It was fun but it’s not cheap especially with lodging,etc. Maybe when the kids get older I’ll reinvest, until then I’ll enjoy the jet ski instead on the lake in the summer.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Oh wow that’s gonna be so dam awesome.  Lots of dealers on that trek for you to grab oil, but if you have the LinQ caddy you can carry it. But that probably won’t be necessary.  

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Getting the gear dried daily looks to be one of the biggest issue i can see, Clothing, It would just be the under garments and a few shirts, Pair of Jeans can go a long ways, And toiletries, That e-tec won't require much oil and you should be able to fine that along the way i would think.

Getting the gear dried daily looks to be one of the biggest issue i can see, Clothing, It would just be the under garments and a few shirts, Pair of Jeans can go a long ways, And toiletries, That e-tec won't require much oil and you should be able to fine that along the way i would think.
Lol, etec is a bit of a pig. 1qt every 125mi

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

What? Somethings not right, I had to get a quart at Pittston farms for mine last Saturday, It was full before i left and that didn't fill it and was only 100 miles.......lol

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

28 minutes ago, dryslot said:

What? Somethings not right, I had to get a quart at Pittston farms for mine last Saturday, It was full before i left and that didn't fill it and was only 100 miles.......lol

The 900 ACE uses 0 oil. ;) :sled:

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Ya the older rev two strokes were oil hogs for sure. Etecs are all different…although most are very good on oil. But I’ve seen some that use more oil for whatever reason?

My buddies ‘18 850 is a lil better than my ‘21 850 is on oil, but mine is still dam good.  And they’re both incredible on gas for such a powerful sled. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I do miss the 1200s I used to have for that reason.

My buddy picked up a 2016 1200 Renegade this fall. Less than 3000 miles, LED package, complete preseason service including a new battery for $8K. Given the current market, I thinks it’s a pretty good deal. Fun sled to ride too. 

44 minutes ago, weathafella said:

How would like to live in a place where a forecast of 7-14 gets you an advisory.

0C90374D-1295-41CC-AAED-DA4203573196.thumb.jpeg.e2736eff275ac55b2a5fad95db0571d0.jpeg0C90374D-1295-41CC-AAED-DA4203573196.thumb.jpeg.e2736eff275ac55b2a5fad95db0571d0.jpeg

I mean, Thompson pass is near some of the best heli skiing areas in the world. Mountains inland away from the coast that get well over 1,000” each year. Heck, even Alyeska Resort, which is only an hours drive from anchorage already has over 500” this season. Snow Mecca up there.

32 minutes ago, mreaves said:

My buddy picked up a 2016 1200 Renegade this fall. Less than 3000 miles, LED package, complete preseason service including a new battery for $8K. Given the current market, I thinks it’s a pretty good deal. Fun sled to ride too. 

I have a 1200.  Can be a bear to keep cool.  Scratchers just arrived. 8k is a good price these days.

14 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

I have a 1200.  Can be a bear to keep cool.  Scratchers just arrived. 8k is a good price these days.

After our first ride a couple of weeks ago, he left it running while he opened up his trailer to load up. Below zero and he left it running maybe 5 minutes but less than 10 and it overheated. Lesson learned. 

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I seem to get some of my best snows when GYX says "less than an inch" so...

We were trying to get hard data on it before John moved from Pittsburg, but our guess was that we probably only forecast like 60% of the snowfall up there. A lot of hand waving of upslope snow showers at 30 PoP when it's 1/4SM for half the day.

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

We were trying to get hard data on it before John moved from Pittsburg, but our guess was that we probably only forecast like 60% of the snowfall up there. A lot of hand waving of upslope snow showers at 30 PoP when it's 1/4SM for half the day.

You guys absolutely nailed the last storm (SWFE) here though. The forecast for here on the SNE blizzard was pretty good too as I recall. This event was tricky as hell, I didn't expect much at all so it isn't like I was sitting here waiting for the bust. I was shocked to wake up to 4-5 and snowing hard. I think the biggest misses are on the lame looking upslope that instead piles up to 3-4" of fluff out of nowhere. BTV seems to laser-in on that stuff.

The microclimates around here are crazy; makes it hard to produce maps for the general populace I'm sure. 

BTV office is lucky they don't have to deal with the population centers and long commutes to BOS you have to deal with.