Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
February 2022 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Well, that’s the problem. There’s no co-op here so I go by what the DPW says and what one of the local retired weather guy says.  For all I know, historically it could be closer to 70 inches.

Hey apparently there actually is an observer in Greenfield since 2000 but lots of missing data in key years

Screenshot_20220208-073315_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

We typically start seeing hits at this lead time and there hasn’t been any. The WAR may help get this close enough but the shortwave phasing just isn’t there. Meh.

We did see hits on Saturday.  Could be the phantom phase where the models lose the storms. 

• Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Keep posting what the modeling shows Ant.  If we side on the negative side, more often than not we’ll be right. But that only works until it doesn’t.  So hey, post away cuz isn’t this what this thread is meant for?  

The ‘negative side’ is also telling you what the models show lol…it’s just not what some want to hear. 

4 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Why so dismissive of mid Feb. Big PNA spike, a follow-up shortwave moving up the coast.

There's ensemble support at least. I wouldn't write it off.

It has tepid support...it's not dead, but it's gonna need some better trends today though.

8 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Wow, you average what I do? I never would have guessed that....

You average more than him....he's going on just the last 30 years. Best I can see is that Reading is about 65-66" in the last 30 years but that is trying to guesstimate with some missing data in key years like 1995-1996 and 2002-2003.

2 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Why so dismissive of mid Feb. Big PNA spike, a follow-up shortwave moving up the coast.

There's ensemble support at least. I wouldn't write it off.

I guess some are fatigued. I can understand. It’s been a lousy run for some of us.

But there’s no getting out on 2/8 when you live in Southern New England.  So it’s gonna be a long few months.   Cuz after the next 6 weeks passes, and the snow chances are gone at the end of March, we have another 6 weeks of damp raw misery mist for the most part.  

So while it’s still very much winter, and the height of it at that, doesn’t hurt to check in once in a while, and see if anything interesting is brewing.  I wouldn’t be wasting much time in here, but a check doesn’t hurt. 

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

His or her numbers do not match mine, too low and I am very conservative with my measurements.   
i’ll do a comparison and post it this afternoon.

Most coop stations are too low because the observer probably just measures once per day regardless of when the storm ends. There are no reliable ones near you best I can tell. The old Ashfield coop was good but they stopped reporting a while back and they are also higher up at 1300 feet.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I guess some are fatigued. I can understand. It’s been a lousy run for some of us.

But there’s no getting out on 2/8 when you live in Southern New England.  So it’s gonna be a long few months.   Cuz after the next 6 weeks passes, and the snow chances are gone at the end of March, we have another 6 weeks of damp raw misery mist for the most part.  

So while it’s still very much winter, and the height of it at that, doesn’t hurt to check in once in a while, and see if anything interesting is brewing.  I wouldn’t be wasting much time in here, but a check doesn’t hurt. 

We are less than a month from meteorological spring. Snow in March isnt the same as snow in January...whatever falls in March has an expiration date of under a week.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You average more than him....he's going on just the last 30 years. Best I can see is that Reading is about 65-66" in the last 30 years but that is trying to guesstimate with some missing data in key years like 1995-1996 and 2002-2003.

1995-1996 is 127.5"

2002-2003 is 86.8"