Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Thursday 1/20/22 Stat Padder Discussion and Observations

stormtracker

5 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

HRRR continues a downhill slide out here. My forecast for here is 1/2-1”. Final call. Good luck east

I think we are on the outside looking in for this one.

Not expecting much up my way. Thinking the best forcing should be East of us.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

HRRR continues a downhill slide out here. My forecast for here is 1/2-1”. Final call. Good luck east

Def not a Winchester area jack type event. Best lift well SE and temps aren’t enough to “even” things out. Definitely thinking about going down to Howard county tonight to stay at my broski’s house to catch the fun  

8 minutes ago, yoda said:

18z GFS tries for 5" at DCA :lmao:

Including DC metro into BALT metro as well

I'm thoroughly confused, as Pivotal 10:1 has almost 3" on the ground around DCA by 12Z, while TT 10:1 has a small fraction of that.    The final totals then of course end up with a big discrepancy.   There is a single snowfall field in the GFS (it's a liquid equivalent), so they should in theory be using the same field, applying the same 10:1 SLR, and getting the same result.  One of them is doing something funky, and my money is on Pivotal being the goofball.

• Like 5

Just now, high risk said:

I'm thoroughly confused, as Pivotal 10:1 has almost 3" on the ground around DCA by 12Z, while TT 10:1 has a small fraction of that.    The final totals then of course end up with a big discrepancy.   There is a single snowfall field in the GFS (it's a liquid equivalent), so they should in theory be using the same field, applying the same 10:1 SLR, and getting the same result.  One of them is doing something funky, and my money is on Pivotal being the goofball.

Probably so... but WB shows 3-4 as well for total snowfall

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Losing a little to surface melting plus above freezing temps initially at start means I’m fairly skeptical of these Kuchera maps showing >10:1 ratios essentially. I’d love more than 3” for this storm but I doubt it.

Right. This still seems like a 1-2” event w someone maxing out at 3.

10 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

For VA as a whole if this storm hits tidewater this has been a January to remember.  After a December to forget 

I’d say last year was maybe more memorable from the ice, but they can both be memorable. Maybe less so for RIC.

Edit: but, it’s the 19th. There’s still time to make it the bestester.

19 minutes ago, high risk said:

Yeah I have to wonder how anything gets 3" by 12Z tomorrow morning, but whatever.  I don't know how many of these sites' algorithms use the information contained in the available GFS files, maybe some of them ignore the liquid equivalent?  Though can't see why they would do that.

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

High 41 - snowcover definitely capped temps here 

Currently 40

Early am Timing and ground temps should maximize stickage once surface temps drop  . Hoping for a couple inches . I haven't seen much guidance today but quick peek looks to have slid best qpf south to near i70 on se   . My highest lollie guess is Damascus to  nw Howard county .

Parr's ridge for the W!

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

High 41 - snowcover definitely capped temps here 

Currently 40

Early am Timing and ground temps should maximize stickage once surface temps drop  . Hoping for a couple inches . I haven't seen much guidance today but quick peek looks to have slid best qpf south to near i70 on se   . My highest lollie guess is Damascus to  nw Howard county .

Agreed. I’m going to be near Taylorsville in Carroll Co. for this one, so should get to see some decent rates in the AM. 

• H2O unpinned this topic