• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Small or possibly moderate wintry event possible for a portion of the NYC subforum Friday morning-early afternoon 1/7/22

wdrag

31 minutes ago, Amped said:

They don't have to.  They're just going to be really sorry if they don't issue them for I95 and the city.

The majority of the general public does not know the difference between a winter weather advisory and a winter storm warning. All they hear is "snow is coming" It matters to weather buffs like us :rolleyes:

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

The majority of the general public does not know the difference between a winter weather advisory and a winter storm warning. All they hear is "snow is coming" It matters to weather buffs like us :rolleyes:

You don't need to be a weather buff to know a warning is more serious than an advisory, Just like you probably don't need to be one to look out the window tomorrow morning and realize it's not worth trying to go into work.

13 minutes ago, Amped said:

You don't need to be a weather buff to know a warning is more serious than an advisory, Just like you probably don't need to be one to look out the window tomorrow morning and realize it's not worth trying to go into work.

I would bet if you went out on the street, and questioned 100 people the difference between a WWA and a WSW, over 90% would say an advisory means we may get snow, and a warning means we're definitely getting snow. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

29 minutes ago, sussexcountyobs said:

Thank you. I was just about to post that. 

It matters to city and town municipalities, management and operations. The general public can make their own decisions based on forecasts, however the city and towns follows certain procedures which are based/take guidance and make decisions on operations based on the criteria. 

8 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Probably not but it’ll be nice to wake up to whatever it ends up as. I think I’m in a decent spot for this so hopefully it works out. Not huge totals but definitely enough as a winter reminder event. 

I hate night time snow but it is what it is.

Did you know I didn't see a single snowflake fall in the December 2009 storm that gave us 15 inches?

I was up 24 hours prior to the storm waiting for the snow to start and fell asleep just before the first snowflake fell and woke up right after the last one did.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HVSnowLover said:

GFS/NAM now both with warning level snow into almost all of CT, wouldn't take much of a SW shift to get into even higher totals which I assume would happen if storm strengthened a bit faster.

locals are already talking about 8 inches for parts of Long Island and even 6 inches into parts of the city.

1 hour ago, jfklganyc said:

6 inches is criteria for warning right?

I would say WWA is appropriate for now.

This is a 3-6 event unless things go right…which can and may happen

They can upgrade as banding sets up

Between snow and covid there will be no rush hour tomorrow anyway

6" in 12 hrs

8" in 24 hrs

• Like 2