• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Small or possibly moderate wintry event possible for a portion of the NYC subforum Friday morning-early afternoon 1/7/22

wdrag

Whatever falls, it’ll be nice to wake up to in the morning. I’m thinking some people can make it to 6” depending on where the banding happens but generally it’s 4-6” from the city on east and 2-4” north and west. There is a good signal IMO for a fronto band developing and setting up somewhere for a couple hours. Most favored location for that may be central LI and CT. Some have mentioned the Super Bowl day storm last year and that might not be a bad analog. It was favored for city on east locations, was a fast mover and a few places ended up with 8-9”. Maybe there could be similar surprises. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Whatever falls, it’ll be nice to wake up to in the morning. I’m thinking some people can make it to 6” depending on where the banding happens but generally it’s 4-6” from the city on east and 2-4” north and west. There is a good signal IMO for a fronto band developing and setting up somewhere for a couple hours. Most favored location for that may be central LI and CT. Some have mentioned the Super Bowl day storm last year and that might not be a bad analog. It was favored for city on east locations, was a fast mover and a few places ended up with 8-9”. Maybe there could be similar surprises. 

That’s generally the case in these types of setups. A couple hours of 1-2”/hr rates adds up fast. 
We have been so spoiled the last two decades with blockbusters that we forget this is a bread and butter event for our area, ask the 80s.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That’s generally the case in these types of setups. A couple hours of 1-2”/hr rates adds up fast. 
We have been so spoiled the last two decades with blockbusters that we forget this is a bread and butter event for our area, ask the 80s.

Hopefully this one is a little colder than Super Bowl last year and it’s overnight so there’s no issue with the snow sticking. I remember in Long Beach for that one the beginning was rain and we wasted a good amount on non accumulating snow. Up where I am now it was considerably better. 

Hopefully this one is a little colder than Super Bowl last year and it’s overnight so there’s no issue with the snow sticking. I remember in Long Beach for that one the beginning was rain and we wasted a good amount on non accumulating snow. Up where I am now it was considerably better. 

I was just thinking that (MMU scored well on there) or the December 5, 2002 event.

9 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

Indications from the shorter term models show that the best chance for banding to set up would be from central/southern NJ across LI and on into CT and eastern NE.  

..usually you won't know till its happening..hoping to get under one!!

24 minutes ago, Northof78 said:

Hopefully we escape the transition screw zone...usually it sets up more in W NJ/ E PA

That dual max with shaft zone will likely happen somewhere. Usually does with these energy transfer situations. The 12z HRRR was pretty nasty with that over NJ and E PA. 

Glad the Nam finally woke up. 4-6” looks good for LI (locally 7-8” if the banding works out) and maybe NYC, 2-4” west of the city. 

• Like 2