Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2022

George BM

11 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Just want this weekend to be over with...I'll restrain myself from throwing something at the TV if I hear about the bomb cyclone pummeling other places, smh This is absolutely awful

Echo what Trixie said.  If this is upsetting you this much then I hope you can find a therapist to speak with.  You don't want this to start affecting your overall mental health.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Just want this weekend to be over with...I'll restrain myself from throwing something at the TV if I hear about the bomb cyclone pummeling other places, smh This is absolutely awful

i used to get like that growing up...pissed off if it didn't snow or there was a bust, but there are some annoyances to constant cold and too much snow.  i know that's an unpopular opinion here, but i like shooting hoops and biking...can't do that when it's too cold or when there's 1-2 feet of snow.  i would try to find reasons why you wouldn't want it to snow and/or just consider moving to a place that does.  we're not a great snow town.  i don't care what anyone says on that.  our averages are skewed by the blizzards we get by having the gulf and atlantic to tap into, but our average high in january is low 40s, not low 30s.  it also helps to chase.  i got skunked from the first storm that hit dc so i drove down to bethesda and got my quick fix.  another thing that helps is redirecting your energy from a near miss storm towards trying to understand why it happened.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

There’s a lot that I remember. You were the first to get a storm right in February 2004? Maybe 2005?  I suck at dates. But it was a rain or snow call and there was a wall of snow that stopped at Ji’s house. It was the last time I remember him happy, but he’s on ignore now, so what do I know. But when the wall finally caved, we all got a great, unexpected snowfall. It was a Saturday. I know that because I went to a potluck dinner with the best bunch of red neck crabbers in Delmarva down on the Gunpowder River. Ate oysters and drank beer in the snow. 

as a wise man once said, give me oysters and beer for dinner every day of the year and i'll feel fine

also: probably for the best that i missed all of the weeper stuff yesterday lol

• Like 1

Just now, vastateofmind said:

So, @CAPE:

1) Are you still considering a mini-chase tonight or tomorrow to your coastal east?

2) If not, what beers are queued up for this evening/the weekend? Always kinda look forward to your weekend picks, as well as those from @Scraff & @Scuddz.

I have decided to stay put. I hope I won't regret it. :yikes:

I actually just started sipping on a 120. Shocker I know lol. I have various other IPAs and a few stouts in the fridge, but nothing too exciting. Red wine and some bourbon might be in the mix too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

So, @CAPE:

1) Are you still considering a mini-chase tonight or tomorrow to your coastal east?

2) If not, what beers are queued up for this evening/the weekend? Always kinda look forward to your weekend picks, as well as those from @Scraff & @Scuddz.

My weekend picks are Hysteria, Other Half, Sapwood (currently in my mouth lol) and a dash of Ten Eyck. :D

• Like 2

Decided to end Drynuary tonight...for no other reason than I just want a bourbon followed by an IPA.

Probably going with a Blanton's to start, followed by one of the Other Half beers I got from a release at DTC a couple weeks ago in preparation for this day. Might get on it pretty good for the US-Canada World Cup Qualifier on Sunday afternoon!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I have decided to stay put. I hope I won't regret it. :yikes:

I actually just started sipping on a 120. Shocker I know lol. I have various other IPAs and a few stouts in the fridge, but nothing too exciting. Red wine and some bourbon might be in the mix too.

Ahh, the 120...a perennially great choice, as well as the 90 min. I just ran out to get a new bottle of bourbon since my 20-something sons demolished my stash over the holidays while visiting. I think Mrs. V also has a Conundrum and Cooper & Thief reds on chill. We are also tearing into these bad boys for the 3rd week in a row....we are huge Three Notch'd fans, and this one doesn't disappoint. As long as Wegmans keeps carrying this limited edition, we're gonna keep snapping them up.

PXL_20220128_201305176a.thumb.jpg.ced06fee61eda52a88b287e1fd728e10.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scraff said:

My weekend picks are Hysteria, Other Half, Sapwood (currently in my mouth lol) and a dash of Ten Eyck. :D

Never heard of Sapwood until I just saw your pic in the other thread. But told my wife we MUST plan a day trip to Ten Eyck....I keep hearing so many good things about that brewery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Lol And not just the TV...now I see the dang news notifications about it, smh VigIrously swiping away!

I'm with you on the disappointment but try not to let it get to you too much. I don't know how long you've lived in the area, but you go through this enough around here, you develop hard bark, but still, ones like this can sting a little. I'm not into this one at all, given what's happening to the north and east. Yeah, yeah, expectations, climatology. All very logical, but this isn't the rational part of the brain we're dealing with, this is 200 proof subjectivity. I'm rare around here, I guess, in that to me, one HECS (say 18") is more than the sum of the parts of three (6") SECS or even two (9") MECS. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Decided to end Drynuary tonight...for no other reason than I just want a bourbon followed by an IPA.

Probably going with a Blanton's to start, followed by one of the Other Half beers I got from a release at DTC a couple weeks ago in preparation for this day. Might get on it pretty good for the US-Canada World Cup Qualifier on Sunday afternoon!

solid plan all the way around

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Never heard of Sapwood until I just saw your pic in the other thread. But told my wife we MUST plan a day trip to Ten Eyck....I keep hearing so many good things about that brewery.

went there in october based on recommendations here and it was really good, worth spending an afternoon there for sure

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Confession: when people post the very short range meso models like HRRR and HRDPS etc during marginal events where every flake is gonna be a gift… a little piece of me dies. I get it, the event is gonna suck, thanks for driving it home.

That's how I feel when MN Transplant posts snips of the correlation coefficient during storms that are threatening a flip to sleet/rain. It's simply the worst. :lol:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I pick up Sapwood beers from DTC from time to time. Would love to make it up there for a few beers on tap, but it's a bit of a hike for me.

They rarely dissapoint, and manor hill is right down the road. Easy to make use of an afternoon/evening

• Like 1

@Maestrobjwa - Definitely want to echo what others have said. You do seem to honestly want to work on it - and that's great!. But if weather makes you legitimately want to throw things in anger it might be crossing from being a hobby to being something unhealthy. 

I don't mean to sound funny - but what @Ji has sort of turned into his "thing" on the board - you genuinely seem to be experiencing for real on your side. 

Of course everyone has different interests/hobbies etc - but I've picked up a bunch of new stuff to occupy time between various weather events. It makes things way more tolerable. Anything from fossil hunting at Calvert Cliffs to getting a board game group together. Just things to bridge the gap. Get yourself into astronomy events or something - that way things like the Perseids meteor showers or cool eclipse events get you excited as well. 

Weather as a hobby should be fun - sure there's some disappointment built in - but it's like seeing your favorite team lose in playoffs. It stings and you keep moving to the next hobby or season. 

I hope snow/weather can go from being a stressful hobby for you to being one that you enjoy more wholly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Got here about an hour ago. 22.9 and light snow. No idea how much new snow has fallen today - anywhere from 12-25” on the ground depending on the spot in the yard. 3b1051075a1db608881944f58ed52e88.jpg

DAMN. What a porch and overview. I'd sit out there all day, and (maybe) sleep out there, too in the summer. Well....maybe with a lot of mosquito repellent surrounding me.  :) 

Is that your weather station at the background corner by the grill? What a gorgeous setup!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

DAMN. What a porch and overview. I'd sit out there all day, and (maybe) sleep out there, too in the summer. Well....maybe with a lot of mosquito repellent surrounding me.  :) 

Is that your weather station at the background corner by the grill? What a gorgeous setup!

Thanks sir! We spend a ton of time out there in the warmer months…we have a two seat glider from a local Amish place on the other side of the deck under an awning from the roof. I sit on it and glide during a rainstorm in the summer or during a snowstorm. So relaxing :) 

and yeah, that’s the grill and the weather station (anemometer is in a different spot). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Confession: when people post the very short range meso models like HRRR and HRDPS etc during marginal events where every flake is gonna be a gift… a little piece of me dies. I get it, the event is gonna suck, thanks for driving it home.

It is now snowing outside. No radar watching, and absolutely no shits to give about what the god awful HRRRRRRRRRRR thinks is going to happen, which changes as rapidly as it updates.

This Chocolate milk coffee stout from Black Flag is pretty good.

• Like 4

• mappy unpinned this topic