Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2022

buckeyefan1

1 minute ago, kvegas-wx said:

I hope the ski resort owners also own a few golf courses.  What a stunning pattern!

It's soooooo close to being everything we are looking for. Sigh. Maybe I need to ask my witchy friends to come over for a winter fun ceremony and banish that depressing death ridge :lol:

1641124800-HhvqHq5FaiY.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buckeyefan1 said:

It's soooooo close to being everything we are looking for. Sigh. Maybe I need to ask my witchy friends to come over for a winter fun ceremony and banish that depressing death ridge :lol:

1641124800-HhvqHq5FaiY.png

Looking at the models for the next 2 weeks, Jan. 2 thru Jan. 6 is about the only period I see a slight chance for something frozen in the SE.  During that period, there is cold air in the Midwest, the NAO remains negative, and the PNA relaxes a bit.  I know...I am grasping at straws LOL.    

1 minute ago, Upstate Tiger said:

Looking at the models for the next 2 weeks, Jan. 2 thru Jan. 6 is about the only period I see a slight chance for something frozen in the SE.  During that period, there is cold air in the Midwest, the NAO remains negative, and the PNA relaxes a bit.  I know...I am grasping at straws LOL.    

Aren't we all at this point :lol:  

Solar wind the last 4 days

402-682

511-694

507-641

436-597

Strongest levels since very early November,should get a few more active days(Dec.27th-30th)coming.Low solar usually leads to a sluggish jet stream,things get bogged down,patterns get stuck.This might be enough to kick things along,we'll see plus phase 7 MJO is usually cold in the east but that -PNA is a beast.The +AAM might weaken but you need something to kickstart a flip.

Just my opinion.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

If nothing else, I believe this winter will show us that the PNA is the most important teleconnection for anything even resembling wintertime in the east and especially the southeast.

We've scored many a time without a -NAO/AO because of just enough ridging out west. We can't "win" without a +PNA period.

I'm sure we have scored with a -PNA before though it is very rare. Gonna do some research.

2 hours ago, Jonathan said:

If nothing else, I believe this winter will show us that the PNA is the most important teleconnection for anything even resembling wintertime in the east and especially the southeast.

We've scored many a time without a -NAO/AO because of just enough ridging out west. We can't "win" without a +PNA period.

I completely agree. -PNA absolutely cancels out all others. 

Looks like a cool down to start the new year (January 3-4) but until the PNA flips I just am not buying anything frozen in the Southeast and it looks like we’ll have to wait some time into January for that to happen. Wash, rinse, repeat with the pattern we’re stuck in. Lows this week will be 20-30 degrees ABOVE average!!! That’s absurd!!!

21 minutes ago, eyewall said:

This is definitely the year we zero out for sure on snow. I am just not looking forward to freaking mosquitoes being out for New Years.

Unfortunately I’ll have to agree with you until I see some evidence otherwise. We’re at the point where we can’t even drum up fantasy snows and the mountains can’t even get a snow. If it’s not snowing in banner elk it ain’t gonna be snowing in Raleigh. We’re punting well into January at this point 

55 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Can't believe we're still laughing at climate change in 2021, almost 2022.

I wasn't laughing at it. Climate change or not, this is a shit pattern. It wouldn't produce 50 years ago and it won't produce today. +3.5 degrees means nothing when it's 75 degrees. Just means there's a little extra lighter fluid on the dumpster fire.

• Like 2

• buckeyefan1 changed the title to Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2022
  • buckeyefan1 unpinned this topic