• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

Yes we still have green leaves here mainly on the oaks, however the majority of trees are now past peak and duller than they were.  My particular backyard does not have fully healthy grass so it is turning browner than it was about 2 to 3 weeks ago and we did have a pretty solid frost locally and 3 days below 36. Yes, in general when you drive around it's very clear that things are later and greener than normal this year.   It Is especially true on the shoreline.  

Screenshot_20211101-134332.png

26 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I drive by there everyday. Was definitely 10 days behind this year and look at the difference in the grass. Dead and brown to lush , Ireland . The difference is very notable and folks can talk about it until the cows come home. 

Lol about the grass…last year it didn’t rain for 3 months straight and was 94 degrees every day for those 3 months. This year it rained twice a week every week.  Lol c’mon already with this BS. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, snowman21 said:

If we're setting records for warmth, doesn't that mean it's something that's never happened before?

Probably a question of semantics....if we have a similar autumn, to say, 1971....but we end up like 0.3F warmer or something....I would classify it as correct to say "we've had autumns like this before".....if the record is smashed by like 2 degrees, then that would be a more dubious statement.

FWIW, only BOS out of the first-order stations in SNE is currently having their warmest autumn on record...and their temps are running a bit "questionable".

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

When did that happen, and by whom ?

... heh, I don't mind so much if all you 'Like' and 'Thanks,' in show of some sort of support that really means you just don't like the content - I was just trying to write well and be profound - ha ha. Oh well

But, to INCORRECTLY infer I said something I did not, out of some sort of frustration that didn't allow an objective read, is bullshit and hyperbole which reduces one's credibility - just sayn'

Aside, I said that under the bold espouses of "muse"  - so lighten the f up Jer' jesus

It wasn’t you.  

52 minutes ago, CT Valley Snowman said:

Yes we still have green leaves here mainly on the oaks, however the majority of trees are now past peak and duller than they were.  My particular backyard does not have fully healthy grass so it is turning browner than it was about 2 to 3 weeks ago and we did have a pretty solid frost locally and 3 days below 36. Yes, in general when you drive around it's very clear that things are later and greener than normal this year.   It Is especially true on the shoreline.  

Screenshot_20211101-134332.png

My grass growth has slowed quite a bit, just one more cut aftwer leaf clean up and done til the spring.

6 hours ago, amarshall said:

Deer don't care about temps. Moon says it's time to get it on.  Full rut. 

Only things I've noted, and less(but not zero) for bucks than does, are heavy rain and 60+ temps.  The first cancels the critters' hearing and smelling, the 2nd keeps them in the evergreens during the day rather than be out in the warm sun with their winter overcoats.  High winds make the deer jumpy but I don't think it inhibits their plans much.

30 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

My grass growth has slowed quite a bit, just one more cut aftwer leaf clean up and done til the spring.

Mine's slowed ... but the green quality of the lawn overall is not anything like is typical for this time of year - anecdotally per my own experience having lived proximal to the 40th parallel between Militia-gan and Massivetwoshits.  It looks like Italian low call dressing with a side of pita bread quality out there.

I don't know if that is warmth preceding, or wet, or some of both - probably both.   You didn't ask me but I think we need a couple three back to back to back nights of 26 and highs staying in the 40s with cold strata splashing ample shade during afternoons, and that'll really shut shit down.  

Basically, a rarefied lower than normal 4 days ... without having it be because it is merely raining.  I mean, really actually f'ing knuckles chilly.

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Probably a question of semantics....if we have a similar autumn, to say, 1971....but we end up like 0.3F warmer or something....I would classify it as correct to say "we've had autumns like this before".....if the record is smashed by like 2 degrees, then that would be a more dubious statement.

FWIW, only BOS out of the first-order stations in SNE is currently having their warmest autumn on record...and their temps are running a bit "questionable".

Do you know what the other's are ranked - just curious ?

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I drive by there everyday. Was definitely 10 days behind this year and look at the difference in the grass. Dead and brown to lush , Ireland . The difference is very notable and folks can talk about it until the cows come home. 

10 days behind,  not 2-3 weeks. And my photos are of foliage comparison,  not the grass.

35 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

If we're setting records for warmth, doesn't that mean it's something that's never happened before?

What is more concerning is that we are setting records for warmth almost every year. Climate change is not only there, but it is accelerating. The increase in average temperature hasn’t yet resulted in less average snow in our area, but it has in areas to the south like DC. I do believe we will eventually reach a point where the increased ocean temps allowing lows to bomb out more and deliver big storms will not be enough to overcome marginal events that used to be heavy wet snow turning into a cold rain, even here. 

36 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

How does one get the data for warmest autumn?  HVN and BDR are certainly having one of their warmest autumns on record. HVN was +6.5 and BDR +4.7 for Oct.  

The condensed sentence for all that rhetoric is that these oddities could be signs of climate change ( could be - not certainty ), but society seems too distracted by perception of other urgency to take much of any notice of them. 

... I will anecdotally add:    ... My sister moved to Virginia Beach in 1995.  They bought nice ranch in a neighborhood off Rt 58 as it cuts through toward the Beach/vacation alley ... but that's not important.  She's in a partially wooded neighborhood, about like you'd see out in Sudbury or West Boyleston, with a combination of Oaks, Maples but also a smattering of borderline cold tolerant species that don't grow this far N mixed in.  There are hybridized palms down at shore points. 

I've been there for several autumn visits over the years, mainly in November.  What we have now reminds me exactly of what it's usually like rollin' into town on that Monday or Tuesday before Turkey Day that week.  Wind blows, and brown broad oak leafs drift by, while neighbors are raking and putting leaf in municiple plastic leaf garbage bags - like wtf is that, anyway.  Leafs in bags? They have a special truck that comes and picks up them up, too -

The even longer of the former rhetoric was going to be that we, this year, look almost identical to what my other sister describes about the state of nature down where she lives, in southern NJ.   She said our foliage looks exactly like there, right now - we happened to be discussing the 'lateness' of the leaf fall Saturday at relative's shindig

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

It’s one thing to correctly assert the acceleration of climate change.  

It’s another to incorrectly infer we haven’t had autumns like this before.  That’s utter bullshit and hyperbole which reduces one’s credibility.

New Haven recorded its warmest October on record, as did Newark. Many other sites top 3. This is high end.