Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

24 minutes ago, psv88 said:

New Haven recorded its warmest October on record, as did Newark. Many other sites top 3. This is high end. 

Yeah. From Don in the NYC thread.

Numerous locations in the region saw their warmest monthly minimum temperature on record for October. Those locations included:

Atlantic City: 41° (old record: 40°, 2004)
Bangor: 35° (old record: 34°, 1968 and 1989)
Bridgeport: 43° (old record: 41°, 2004)
Harrisburg: 43° (tied record set in 1984)
Islip: 42° (old record: 40°, 1971 and 2017)
Mount Pocono, PA: 35° (old record: 34°, 1920)
New Haven: 42° (old record: 39°, 2014)
New York City-JFK: 47° (old record: 46°, 1971)
New York City-LGA: 49° (old record: 47°, 1971)
New York City-NYC: 47° (old record: 45°, 1946 and 1971)
Newark: 45° (tied record set in 1971)
Philadelphia: 46° (old record: 45°, 1882, 1927 and 1931)
Providence: 41° (old record: 39°, 1971)
Scranton: 38° (old record: 36°, 1971)
Sterling, VA: 39° (old record: 37°, 1971)
Syracuse: 36° (tied record set in 1971)
Washington, DC: 47° (old record: 46°, 1971 and 1984)
Wilmington, DE: 43° (old record: 41°, 1971)

37 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There’s been a GOA trough since mid Sept. Hence the coast to coast furnace 

Not sure about coast to coast furnace.  Ski season started in Lake Tahoe this October.  That's only happened 3 times in the last 70 years.

Second snowiest October on record for Donner Summit since 1970

https://www.sfgate.com/renotahoe/article/second-snowiest-october-in-Tahoe-16565871.php

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

MQE - #4

ORH - #9

PVD - #2

BDL - #6

BDR - #2

Yeah... Boston seems outlying.  

That's an interesting ORH there at 9th - almost seems outlying too - hm..

I don't know, the mean is 4.75 ..so call it 5th in the spread. 

I'm thinking we average to decimals under for the next 4 days but it's getting harder to ignore that warmup look/ ..faux Indian Summer - seems to be growing in prominence in the operational.   We may see some of the above correct higher in rank, ...before the last 10 days of the month destroy contention - LOL

27 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha maybe I’ve got the beer then.  I thought you meant trough over us since September.  My bad.

Oh lol no. One of the first things I do in the morning is look at ensembles. And they’ve more or less been painting that GOA trough in some degree since about Labor Day weekend. If you see that, it’s generally going to mean all Pacific air behind any of our cold fronts. That may work in the Rockies.. but here it means AN to MAN. It regressed a bit over the last week and it’s leading to our cooker shot this week. But it’s already quickly moving back in and I think we’re starting to see that now with the furnace relative to time of year next week into mid month . 

31 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah... Boston seems outlying.  

That's an interesting ORH there at 9th - almost seems outlying too - hm..

I don't know, the mean is 4.75 ..so call it 5th in the spread. 

I'm thinking we average to decimals under for the next 4 days but it's getting harder to ignore that warmup look/ ..faux Indian Summer - seems to be growing in prominence in the operational.   We may see some of the above correct higher in rank, ...before the last 10 days of the month destroy contention - LOL

BOS went back to being biased warm in their ASOS. Not sure what the issue is. 

ORH would prob be closer to 5th if the siting didn’t change in 1948. Several of the warmer autumns were at the old site which was warmer than the airport. 

22 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

FL is calling your name. Long days, nights and HHH year round 

We’ll to be fair…central and southern Florida is not HHH all year round there. From about mid November to the end of March, it’s gorgeous with lots of dry and warm/mild conditions..especially all winter long.  Come April through October, ya it’s mostly HHH for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Love winter, just not short days. Although I’ll take an earlier morning sunrise for the time being. 

Lol ok.

But Just remember: Days get shorter; Nights get longer; Snow gets deeper; Life gets better.  

Repeat that to yourself as the seasonal affective disorder starts setting in. :P

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

We’ll to be fair…central and southern Florida is not HHH all year round there. From about mid November to the end of March, it’s gorgeous with lots of dry and warm/mild conditions..especially all winter long.  Come April through October, ya it’s mostly HHH for sure. 

They all get plenty of humid days in FL year round . There’s several days DJF that get dews near or over 70 in this climate. Ahead of every fropa they get a surge of dews 

Growing season is coming to an end tonight. Picked the rest of the green tomatoes, cut all of the remaining flowers to enjoy inside. Last week we hit 31.5 with some ice on the normal items, but very little died, even the tomato plants survived. Tonight has a different feel to it, already down to 40.6°.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Growing season is coming to an end tonight. Picked the rest of the green tomatoes, cut all of the remaining flowers to enjoy inside. Last week we hit 31.5 with some ice on the normal items, but very little died, even the tomato plants survived. Tonight has a different feel to it, already down to 40.6°.

Watch out for the clouds after midnight