• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Henri

wxeyeNH

Looks like the 06z euro tickled a little east. It’s actually pretty similar position as 00z at 12z Sunday morning just off the south fork of LI but the 06z run brings it more due north into ginxy’s hood rather than sharply NW into northwestern CT by 18z Sunday like the 00z run did. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Quincy said:

Shoreline and coastal plain, yes. Tolland-Union mountain chain, not so much. Inland winds with these systems are usually overdone. 

Inland winds (we’re talking over 40-50 MPH sustained) were never really expected, unless you were looking at weenie models that are notorious for exaggerating tropical cyclone strength, or maybe a few outliers model runs. 

Personally, I think the coastal flooding/storm surge angles are not being hit home enough. Then again, I’m not watching local media, so hopefully they are covering it more extensively. It also looks like you could see a brief spin up or two east of I-91.

Sure, there will probably be quite a bit of power outages, especially across Long Island and the I-95 corridor, but at this point, the difference between TS and borderline Cat 1 is negligible. For public awareness, I think going with the hurricane warnings was warranted. It’s a bit like the Irene situation with that respect. (Plus that could have maintained hurricane status if the track was slightly further east)

Barring some drastic intensification, we’re looking at a solid tropical storm (at worst) hitting LI/CT from the SSE. Certainly an uncommon event, but not up to the task to match storms like Sandy or Gloria.

Even if it does become a hurricane, the conditions (SST and forward speed) do not suggest we’re seeing a hurricane landfall. 

Even rainfall looks rather meh. 06z HRRR/NAM show most of SNE getting less than an inch of rain, outside of western CT. Could see 1-3” here, particularly where orographic lift helps.

It’s good to be ready and prepare for the worst, but eventually you have to look at the data and accept that this may underperform many expectations in terms of inland impacts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I mean it’s all just semantics anyway at this level.  I mean is anyone gonna notice the difference between a 70 mph high end T.S., and a 74 mph minimal cane?  Not a chance. 

Those that long for the first New England LF ‘cane in 30 years will notice.  The other 99% of the population won’t care.  
i’m rooting for 73mph so we can get the sarcastic eye roll posts from Ray. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Quincy said:

Inland winds (we’re talking over 40-50 MPH sustained) were never really expected, unless you were looking at weenie models that are notorious for exaggerating tropical cyclone strength, or maybe a few outliers model runs. 

Personally, I think the coastal flooding/storm surge angles are not being hit home enough. Then again, I’m not watching local media, so hopefully they are covering it more extensively. It also looks like you could see a brief spin up or two east of I-91.

Sure, there will probably be quite a bit of power outages, especially across Long Island and the I-95 corridor, but at this point, the difference between TS and borderline Cat 1 is negligible. For public awareness, I think going with the hurricane warnings was warranted. It’s a bit like the Irene situation with that respect. (Plus that could have maintained hurricane status if the track was slightly further east)

Barring some drastic intensification, we’re looking at a solid tropical storm (at worst) hitting LI/CT from the SSE. Certainly an uncommon event, but not up to the task to match storms like Sandy or Gloria.

Even if it does become a hurricane, the conditions (SST and forward speed) do not suggest we’re seeing a hurricane landfall. 

Even rainfall looks rather meh. 06z HRRR/NAM show most of SNE getting less than an inch of rain, outside of western CT. Could see 1-3” here, particularly where orographic lift helps.

It’s good to be ready and prepare for the worst, but eventually you have to look at the data and accept that this may underperform many expectations in terms of inland impacts.

So outside of the immediate shore…no big deal for most of CT. A breezy rainy day with an inch of rain for most.    That’s Cool. Didn’t really want to lose power anyway. 

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks like the 06z euro tickled a little east. It’s actually pretty similar position as 00z at 12z Sunday morning just off the south fork of LI but the 06z run brings it more due north into ginxy’s hood rather than sharply NW into northwestern CT by 18z Sunday like the 00z run did. 

Yeah, thinking GON is crosshair for landfall

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

The symmetrical look of yesterday was a facade of organizing—competing CoC’s under a “CDO”

Today everything is coalescing around one CoC. This will look much more impressive on satellite in 3 -6 hrs.

Yup. Lots of early "storm cancel" posts here in this thread.

2 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Given the SST and better organization I'd be surprised if this wasn't a strong Cat 1 by this evening. GFS, HMON, and HWRF all similar in that regard as well. Getting away from IR as @WxWatcher007mentioned was helpful to see. 

Looking at visible and IR can be instructive, but on the ground data is the best kind of data and that's why I'm more focused on the current structure/recon than trying to project out 24-30 hours (which is fine for others to do, I just like watching this stuff evolve). 

Even looking at IR and visible, it's the best presentation of Henri I've seen so far. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

6z euro ticked east and not hooking into wct. It’s pretty safe to say the west trend was overdone. 

West trend was overdone but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be east ticks from here to landfall. Windshield wipers could tick a touch back west too. I'm still thinking landfall between New Haven and Westerly, RI.

Sorry Long Island, you don't exist to me. :lol: 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

West trend was overdone but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be east ticks from here to landfall. Windshield wipers could tick a touch back west too. I'm still thinking landfall between New Haven and Westerly, RI.

Screenshot_20210821-075613_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Good morning WxW …. Considering your alter ego Long Island is quite satisfied with that comment. As always ….

• Haha 3

• dendrite changed the title to Tropical Storm Henri
  • dendrite unpinned this topic