• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Disco 2021. Do record dews continue?

Damage In Tolland

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

No doubt, I hand dug trenches for a company in 75 summer once a week on my lifeguard days off and I always hit the hottest muggiest day of the week. But the money was twice my lifeguard pay and paid for concert tickets, weed, booze and girls lol. 

Coldest I have every been was 89 December working outside for my brother after getting laid off. On the Thames in New London,  frigging wind and cold combo has not been matched since. 

Football practice during HS in Miami sucked..  I did landscaping also, but I don't remember it bothered me that much. I guess when you are young is easier to manage.. 

36 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I've worked plenty outside in heat/humidity. Certainly not construction but I just drank plenty of water, worked on controlling my breathing, and I embraced the heat/humidity. 

dude that is silly.. even my contractor went home today, and he is used to it.. after 3 days in a row it gets to the body.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

dude that is silly.. even my contractor went home today, and he is used to it.. after 3 days in a row it gets to the body.

Different people have different tolerance for heat.  Same goes for cold.  My cold tolerance is abnormally high and I caution against forcing my preferences on others (though I haven't given up short sleeve shirts in winter, which make some friends feel colder.)  It's probably not 100%, but I'd guess that most folks with high heat tolerance do less well in cold, with the cold-tolerance people not liking heat.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Different people have different tolerance for heat.  Same goes for cold.  My cold tolerance is abnormally high and I caution against forcing my preferences on others (though I haven't given up short sleeve shirts in winter, which make some friends feel colder.)  It's probably not 100%, but I'd guess that most folks with high heat tolerance do less well in cold, with the cold-tolerance people not liking heat.

Yeah that is true, but this heat is not good for you, you could get heat stroke easily and not even know it, I know plenty of folks that got stroke and it was too late by the time they noticed.  Luckily they recovered but it comes on fast.. . I've I'm getting hypothermia I usually can tell..

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

68F is pretty impressive for MWN.  Isn’t the all-time max 72F?

Been a hot one for all the picnic tables.

Yeah they're actually mixed out. Looks like a bit of an inversion mid mountain though? 77F at 4300ft, 72F at 3300ft, and 74F at 2300ft. Unless there's shadows being cast on the lower els of the autoroad.

23 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah they're actually mixed out. Looks like a bit of an inversion mid mountain though? 77F at 4300ft, 72F at 3300ft, and 74F at 2300ft. Unless there's shadows being cast on the lower els of the autoroad.

Might be shadows?  Earlier when I looked it looked pretty normal dry adiabatic or reasonably close to it? 

3 minutes ago, MJOatleast7 said:

From 3:45 pm BOX AFD...

Temperatures will be only slightly
above normal, with highs generally in the low to mid 80s.
Should be good weather for most summer outdoor activities
(boating/swimming/boonie-stomps). 

????

Looks like Nash was going back to his time in the Pacific. It means hiking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

The heat appears over-top in circulation manifold next week.... We seem to have that kind of Kelvin-Hemmy thing going on again, where there is broad anticyclonic curl and the top loaf of circulation lobs over top - particularly seen in the 850 mb thermal layout is where this is forced/ best observed.  Interesting.. I've seen this more frequently since the earlier 2000's, probably owing to faster polar jet zipping over southern Canada. 

This configuration seems to strand/pool the OV-NE regions in a disproportionately cooler 850 mb temperature region ...compared to what is typically seen in non-hydrostatic heights exceeding 588 dm.   

Not sure we get much higher than the mid to upper 80s despite those geopotential heights.   Meanwhile, it's not helping the those same regions are in a modest surplus of rainfall... The hydrostatic heights have a way of holding temp counter-intuitively down once past the solar max/later August.   Bottom line, ...lot of 87/74 type miasma

23 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

...I find myself slowly turning to a Warminista with time. Winter does Jack shit unless there is snow. 

Now you’re getting it.  That’s why you want to winter in a place where there’s always snow.  Based on the yearly schedule Phin seems to be following, he definitely gets it.  Most of us up here in NNE are here because of the snow, not because we have some strange obsession with wanting to freeze our azzes off.  I did have to include that “most” qualifier though… because I’m sure they’re out there.

LoveTheSnowNotTheCold.jpg.93a677bc610d82b27aeb7cb5ddcc11ed.jpg

• Like 1

Great to already have the next record dews period in a continued series of them this summer only a few short days away 

Fairly high confidence that will be dealing with another humid
airmass. EPS/GEFS guidance showing high probabilities of PWATS AOA
1.5 inches, which is between the 75th and 90th percentile for this
time of year at CHH per SPC Sounding Climatology. Some deterministic
guidance gets up to 2-2.25 inch PWATs, which would be getting up
toward record territory for this time of year.

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Great to already have the next record dews period in a continued series of them this summer only a few short days away 

Fairly high confidence that will be dealing with another humid
airmass. EPS/GEFS guidance showing high probabilities of PWATS AOA
1.5 inches, which is between the 75th and 90th percentile for this
time of year at CHH per SPC Sounding Climatology. Some deterministic
guidance gets up to 2-2.25 inch PWATs, which would be getting up
toward record territory for this time of year.

Meaning its gonna rain

On 7/28/2021 at 3:03 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

Oh there’s several folks here that do that exact thing. They’ve posted it. Freak is one of them . Agreed, it’s insane 

His climate is a little different from yours…especially with NW flow. Once mine are in, they’re in, but to each their own.