Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

38 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

All of this good news on openings in the states, meanwhile the State Department now says you shouldn’t travel to 80% of the world’s countries due to the virus... OK. 

They can’t prevent you from going but the destination country can. Fact is the US is way ahead of the rest of the world with vaccines which might mean “travel bubbles” with successful vaccinator countries like the UK and Israel, or low caseload nations like Australia Singapore and Vietnam. The Caribbean and Central American countries will also happily take you

35 minutes ago, DomNH said:

At least this state has been on the more reasonable end of the spectrum the whole time. I go south of the border and still see people walking their dogs on a beautiful day, nobody within 500 feet of them, with a mask on. Blows my mind.

Yeah that's ridiculous. 

I see people wearing masks driving without anyone else in the car.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Out of context it's weird, just like people in their cars by themselves windows up mask on. Then I realized I'm that weirdo because I am going to more than one place and don't feel like taking it off and then having to put it back on and adjust it etc. in between stops. Same with being outside. Rather than putting it on and taking it off in a public space depending on proximity to others it's just easier to leave it on.

This pandemic normalized mask wearing in certain circumstances, which is a good thing.

At this point it needs to be optional, however. I think you will find many people will voluntarily keep wearing them in certain situations anyway.

I think it's time to start trusting people's judgements on their own personal health again, nanny state...

1 minute ago, Tolland Death Band said:

They can’t prevent you from going but the destination country can. Fact is the US is way ahead of the rest of the world with vaccines which might mean “travel bubbles” with successful vaccinator countries like the UK and Israel, or low caseload nations like Australia Singapore and Vietnam. The Caribbean and Central American countries will also happily take you

We used to travel overseas a lot, but lately we have been worried about it, not because of COVID, but because of being suddenly locked-down or forced into mandatory quarantine. I doubt I will ever go on a cruise again, for example. 2020 showed that another country can suddenly decide people from your country are a massive health risk and lock you down for months, and your own country will not do anything to get you out.

11 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I wonder how many people have made it through this entire pandemic without ever being tested for COVID. I know I qualify, along with my wife and kids. Never tested.

It seems some people are regulars at the testing sites, however. 

I have never been tested either. Really haven't had a reason too. The only time I was exposed to someone who ended up getting sick was the weekend before St. Patty's Day last year. And this was when they were only testing specific people. 

I wonder too how many people get tested to frequently. I also wonder if it's possible some of these numbers are being driven by "repeat positive testers". For example, there are probably some people who if test positive today probably are so paranoid they get tested everyday until they test negative. Of course there are some who need negative tests say for work or whatever. I would hope the data "weeds" this out but I'm a bit skeptical on this.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Anyone who wants a jab can get it now. Open it all up now and ditch the masks. No more fear. 

Well everyone 16 or older can sign up for a shot.  You then wait for the appointment, get a shot wait 3 more weeks, get a second shot, and then wait 2 more weeks for full effectiveness to be reached.  Around here when I signed up, there was a 2 to 3 week delay before the 1st shot.  So would be 2 months from now that 16+ signing up today will have completed the process.

Boy I am so glad this thread is COVID and politics free.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, klw said:

Well everyone 16 or older can sign up for a shot.  You then wait for the appointment, get a shot wait 3 more weeks, get a second shot, and then wait 2 more weeks for full effectiveness to be reached.  Around here when I signed up, there was a 2 to 3 week delay before the 1st shot.  So would be 2 months from now that 16+ signing up today will have completed the process.

Boy I am so glad this thread is COVID and politics free.

I singed my son up when the 16+ became eligible this past Saturday and got him an appointment for the 25th. Pfizer up at the old JC Penny at the Berlin Mall

15 minutes ago, DomNH said:

Number of cases doesn't track with the number of hospitalizations or deaths anymore now that so many vulnerable people are vaccinated so the raw case count is becoming less important every day.

This is certainly true...but to an extent. At some point the case numbers should also vastly begin to taper off. For example, here in Connecticut I think we've been hovering between like 800-1,000 cases per day...but given our rate of vaccinations and percent of adult population being vaccinated at some point these numbers should tail off. 

After hovering between 3-5% daily positivity rate for the past 2-3 weeks we've been under 3% (and close to 2%) since the end of last week. Obviously positivity rate means more than case numbers but at some point case numbers should rapidly fall off. But according to Governor Lamont, the majority of cases were coming from the 18-30 crowd but now that vaccinations have been opened up for this group I am hoping over the next few weeks positivity rate should drop to around 1.5% and case numbers should drop by several-plus hundred.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

All of this good news on openings in the states, meanwhile the State Department now says you shouldn’t travel to 80% of the world’s countries due to the virus... OK. 

Well, other countries are behind. With virus mutating before they are Vaxxed, they don't want us to bring back new strains. 

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, NH has been pretty good. I have some seen some strange behaviors in VT and ME. People with masks on walking their huskies hundreds of feet away from anyone, furious spraying of all surfaces with bleach spray while masked and face-shielded, crowds gathered at outdoor spot-a-pots because the larger inside bathrooms were inexplicably closed due to COVID. Some spots in VT and ME really went off the deep end with all of this. I feel like maybe it's a combination of the standard COVID fear every state dealt with mixed with the sort of hippie and new age healing power crystal energy vibe stuff that tends to permeate these states already? LOL just my theory anyway. There definitely was a certain demographic of long gray-haired lady with sandals and huskies who seemed to take COVID most seriously out of anyone... NNE is full of them. Hopefully they will get their chakras aligned soon and ease off a bit. Some yoga might help.

Maine regs would've been a lot different had the pandemic arrived during the previous administration.  (For better or worse)

• Like 2

It was always 'get to April and may' vaccinate, and then we were good. I think we are getting their. World is changing by May 1st. It's always been the plan. I mean, I just don't understand the bitching and whining until we got there. It's simple science. Now it's time. There is no global conspiracy to make people have brain control via masks. It was just common courtesy to others. Now let's move on. It might be slow in some places, but the show is on the road. 

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

This is certainly true...but to an extent. At some point the case numbers should also vastly begin to taper off. For example, here in Connecticut I think we've been hovering between like 800-1,000 cases per day...but given our rate of vaccinations and percent of adult population being vaccinated at some point these numbers should tail off. 

After hovering between 3-5% daily positivity rate for the past 2-3 weeks we've been under 3% (and close to 2%) since the end of last week. Obviously positivity rate means more than case numbers but at some point case numbers should rapidly fall off. But according to Governor Lamont, the majority of cases were coming from the 18-30 crowd but now that vaccinations have been opened up for this group I am hoping over the next few weeks positivity rate should drop to around 1.5% and case numbers should drop by several-plus hundred.

I question how all of the sudden the 18-30YO crowd is now responsible for most of the infections when months ago they apparently were not. I get that vaccinations of the older population is having a pos effect and the virus is "looking" for other hosts, but unless there is a confirmed variant that is more transmissible to the younger crowds, then how can this age group suddenly be getting more infected than months ago? you think the virus said "i'll just leave that group of people alone until later".

1 hour ago, DomNH said:

At least this state has been on the more reasonable end of the spectrum the whole time. I go south of the border and still see people walking their dogs on a beautiful day, nobody within 500 feet of them, with a mask on. Blows my mind.

rare.. typically only see older folks with masks.. in Boston is different, most are wearing masks

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I question how all of the sudden the 18-30YO crowd is now responsible for most of the infections when months ago they apparently were not. I get that vaccinations of the older population is having a pos effect and the virus is "looking" for other hosts, but unless there is a confirmed variant that is more transmissible to the younger crowds, then how can this age group suddenly be getting more infected than months ago? you think the virus said "i'll just leave that group of people alone until later".

There is so much that raises questions. I guess though from what I have gathered through readings is some of the newer more dominant strains are having a greater impact on the younger crowd than original strains. Also have to consider that for a large while not having in-person schooling and places where those in that age group tend to hang out (bars, clubs, etc) probably helped to limit the spread from that group.  

I always thought this for vacinations...take care of the 65+ crowd and essential workers first then go to the 18-30 crowd because (I thought) it would be pretty obvious that group would be responsible for spreading. 

16 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

It was always 'get to April and may' vaccinate, and then we were good. I think we are getting their. World is changing by May 1st. It's always been the plan. I mean, I just don't understand the bitching and whining until we got there. It's simple science. Now it's time. There is no global conspiracy to make people have brain control via masks. It was just common courtesy to others. Now let's move on. It might be slow in some places, but the show is on the road. 

yeah, on schedule if not ahead, not sure what the big deal is, people gotta vent I guess

23 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Certainly is convenient how that is happening right at the same time as they are pushing for young people to get the vaccine...

29 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Let me give you the short answer,   $$$

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

No way I would get my kids vaccinated right now. Seems pointless. 

the rolling quarantines at school are annoying right now-if my kid is exposed to someone nearby they have to quarantine going back to the last date of contact-one of mine had to sit home for 4 days.   Assuming if they have the vaxx they don't have to do that....