• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

Just took a short walk into the woods by my parent's house (Northwest Branch Unit #4) and couldn't find a single trace of cicada activity other than a few sporadic holes. I don't remember if 2004 was so splotchy with the early emergence. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Had birds in our yard fighting over the few cicadas this morning.  Little do they know the feast that is incoming.

The early cicadas are the appetizer!!

Haven't seen any actual cicadas yet so far, but several empty shells around a couple of trees.  And in this wooded area across the street from me, there were a TON of holes and turrets, littered all over the ground.  I guess they're waiting a bit before coming out, when it gets a bit warmer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, H2O said:

I've got 3 kids.  I've been peed bodily-fluid-ed on plenty.  Cicada pee ain't nothing

FIFY. I have been (with only 2), and know you have been, too.

3 hours ago, GATECH said:

First kill for ole Thunder.  One cicada down, billions to go...

OMG. I had to go out and reprimand my own yellow Lab this afternoon for circling the big-ass oak tree and slurping up God knows how many dozens of cicada nymphs and adults for 30 minutes straight. She's such a hog. The first night she discovered them around the tree (about 4-5 days ago), she gorged herself and (to @Kmlwx's point several weeks ago), promptly emptied the contents of her stomach because of it. Thought I'd have to get out the Elizabethan dog collar, but she's listened to me the rest of the afternoon. Until tomorrow.  :( 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

The first 20 feet of trunk on my backyard oak up to the first big branches -- where I captured my posted pics/video earlier this week -- were thick with nymphs and emerging adults last evening just after dark, too many to count. That whole side of the yard (the oak is in the back corner of my property) was rustling with countless nymphs making a beeline for the oak, the fences, the shed, anywhere they could get at least some elevation. I even saw a handful of oh-eff-it nymphs starting their molts at the top of some tall dandelion stems. If you got down low to look across the grass, you could see it "moving" in spots...eerie. I'm thinking we might actually start hearing these guys next week?

Oh, and just for you, @gunny23 & @mattie g -- let's just say I'm going to be a little more careful about walking under my backyard oak in another week or so. (In fairness, this video is of cicada Chremistica umbrosa of South-East Asia...our Brood X periodic cicadas apparently aren't this incontinent.)

OMG thank you, I’m sharing this with a few friends of mine.  It will scare the crap out of them.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, H2O said:

Saw more today. My youngest even let one crawl on her hand

They grossed me out 17 some years ago...I never killed any but avoided them like Randy did/does. And yeah, I've let FIVE crawl all over my hands today. They're basically a ladybug....with pterodactyl-sized wings and blood-curdling giant red eyes. Actually, the ones I held today were perfectly content to hang out on my fingers or hand...my previous experience with cicadas is that they fled us giant beings with great effort. They're humorously clumsy.  :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1