• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

My husband just went out to take pics of the trees and report since I am out of town.  Said he can't even walk on the grass now.  They are everywhere...wish I could upload the video.  

This is only for the front yard that gets sun, back yard with all of the trees still shaded and not as bad.   Hoping they hold off a few more days.

• Thanks 1

Saw a lot more coming out again last night on a couple of trees.  But a little odd how some have almost nothing while others have a ton.  Grass near those trees was also covered with them crawling out.  The wooded area across the street from where I'm at, haven't seen any indication even of shells, though there are a LOT of holes there (approx. index finger size or so).  I'm assuming those are cicadas waiting to come up...maybe it's like others said, the more shaded areas are slightly cooler still and so they haven't emerged yet (and it's quite shaded in there).  Seen a few "fully" done ones, but no singing yet that I can definitely confirm.  At times yesterday I thought I heard a distant "roar" of the chorus but could be something else.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Yep. Hearing sustained chorusing from the Brood X periodicals this morning. Much preferred to the mid-late summer screeching buzzsaw of annual cicadas!

There is this forested area near the end of the street and you can just hear it increase in volume as you walk closer, its super cool.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Yep. Hearing sustained chorusing from the Brood X periodicals this morning. Much preferred to the mid-late summer screeching buzzsaw of annual cicadas!

Gawd I hate those annual cicadas!  I've had just two or three of them chase me in from enjoying time on our deck before.  They were really persistent last summer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/17/2021 at 10:42 PM, Always in Zugzwang said:

A few trees covered with emerging cicadas this evening. And saw several also coming out of the grass. Have seen a few fully out mature ones the past couple of days (black with the clear orange wings). A couple from this evening:

20210517212153_4G6A0318.thumb.JPG.c88cdf4fc6fc6e9bff768471cfeb6e45.JPG

20210517215621_4G6A0334.thumb.JPG.719c00edce1761de05284ca78a4ce932.JPG

Always thought this was the coolest looking part of their development--awesome!!

• Like 3

Pretty certain I heard at least one yesterday afternoon.  Had the classic "Phaaaa-rooooh" sound.  But not much else other than that.  Maybe they're tuning up here!  Or maybe that one was more like singing "Diiii-nnner!" to all the birds and was gone shortly after!! :lol:  I've seen a lot of picked-at "meals" left on the ground that's for sure!

Seen many emerging right around the apartment property I live at, but surprisingly not so much as an exoskeleton seen in a couple of older and undisturbed wooded areas.  If anything, I'd think there'd be a ton in there.  Maybe still relatively too cool there, but I'm sure this week it will be warming up.

• Like 2

saw a few at my friend's how on saturday north of olney, mostly on his tree.  saw a cicada killer flying around as well.  also saw a bunch of holes in the ground with cicadas coming up while biking in germantown on tuesday.  the swarm is incoming.

• Like 1

Same in Alexandria.  Was just in the backyard and I could hear a faint song in the distance in the neighborhood.  

It’s freaking me out a little. I keep thinking I’m hearing an idolizing diesel truck in the distance. But it’s been 4 hours now. Almost has to be the cicadas.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, WeatherShak said:

It’s freaking me out a little. I keep thinking I’m hearing an idolizing diesel truck in the distance. But it’s been 4 hours now. Almost has to be the cicadas.

Same here...there's a lot of nearby construction going on and at times I swear I hear what must be distant singing of the cicadas when some of the "construction noise" is lesser.  But hard to tell.  Can't tell how far away it is, but imagine they'll get right up nearby soon.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

If you're wondering what it sounds like, check out this video I took on my cell phone this AM. This was walking back on a neighborhood street after taking my kid to elementary school.  Volume up!  https://streamable.com/5wd0ga

Multiply that by at least 10 and it'll be what you hear next week.  I remember it coming in waves.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

If you're wondering what it sounds like, check out this video I took on my cell phone this AM. This was walking back on a neighborhood street after taking my kid to elementary school.  Volume up!  https://streamable.com/5wd0ga

Thanks for this...I'm getting good pics and video of individual, or small groups of, the periodicals, but it's hard to record the sound of the general chorusing like you did here! Great capture.

I said it yesterday, and will say it again -- I find the periodical cicada song pretty soothing. I know it can, and likely will, get much louder than what we're all hearing right now, but I still like it. It reminds me of a higher pitched version of an Alexa skill called "Warp Core," which is a looping recording of the low, ambient engine "thrum" of the Enterprise-D (from Star Trek: The Next Generation) while traveling at warp speed. It's a great ambient sound (the periodicals AND/OR the Warp Core loop) to work to throughout the day.  :)  #GeekAlert

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1