Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

1 hour ago, H2O said:

If you stand under a tree with lots of shells around it you WILL get hit by falling cicadas

It's not the only thing you get hit by!

I distinctly remember in 2004 near Columbia I was in the woods and during a sunny day it felt like a very light drizzle under the tree canopy.  Later I learned that "shower" was cicada pee!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you want to see them coming out of the ground night time is the time!

Checked the trees, oaks and maples seem to have the most.  The trees sound alive!  They are ascending the trunks like armies.  It's definitely going to be getting louder!  Also can't believe the number of stag (beetles), slugs and earthworms out on this dry night.  Firefly numbers going up too.  The woods is alive!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Cicadas everywhere. Love this. Next time this happens, I'll be as old as @H2O

Oh, Lordy. I've been trying to enjoy this emergence and delay thinking what you've written here. Let's just say that the next time Brood X emerges, I'll be well north of the minimum age for Social Security.  :( 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Doesn't he have an article he co-authored with Ben Franklin documenting one of the first recorded emergences? :D

No.  Earlier than that.  I was part of the Jamestown settlement and we discovered them back then.  It was a food source during the lean years.

• Haha 4
  • Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, H2O said:

No.  Earlier than that.  I was part of the Jamestown settlement and we discovered them back then.  It was a food source during the lean years.

Oh yeah..."Plague of Ye Olde Broode X Locusts"!  They still thought they were locusts back then, caused by witchcraft.  You're lucky you didn't get burned as a heretic!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Oh yeah..."Plague of Ye Olde Broode X Locusts"!  They still thought they were locusts back then, caused by witchcraft.  You're lucky you didn't get burned as a heretic!

6 minutes ago, mappy said:

lol

I actually tried to document them in my cave drawings when we first discovered fire.  Oog was scared of them and fell off the cliff when one landed on him.  We fashioned jewelry from the shells and it was a form of currency.   

• Haha 7
  • Weenie 1

4 hours ago, H2O said:

3 hours ago, H2O said:

I actually tried to document them in my cave drawings when we first discovered fire.  Oog was scared of them and fell off the cliff when one landed on him.  We fashioned jewelry from the shells and it was a form of currency.   

Quite a history, H2O.  All those years, never aging, forever young.  Have a care, I believe PhineasC knows Van Helsing.  As always ....

• Like 1

We need Brood X in southern Maryland- I'm thinking of bringing a crate of these back to become squirrel food populate my yard for 2038. :lol:

I need to head out to Illinois for spring 2024- they're in the eclipse totality path, then they have brood XIII and XIX syncing up for the first time in 221 years. B)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, mappy said:

The hum has returned

Yeah, after they were relatively quiet yesterday with the rain (though I did hear a little at times), they've returned in force today.  I guess it's more rain than temperature that curbs their activity.  I also saw a lot of emerging nymphs still coming up through the grass near a couple of trees last night.

• Like 1