Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

This is like winter when you are puking snow and I get rain.  Now I'm gushing cicadas like lava and you b like 

Looking Out Window GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

P much - like watching radar and snow hitting a wall as it advances north only for me to get clouds 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We'll see if today is finally the day around here in Colesville, MD. As of this morning still nothing showing. But it was another cool morning - full sunshine and 80 today should do it - and if not that - the forecast high of 86 and 89 for the following days should. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dailylurker said:

This evening I had the craziest cicada experience of my life. I have a 3 acre open area with three large Chinese Chestnut trees. Tonight at dusk I was headed inside and I thought I heard water running. It sounded like a hose running. That's when I realized it was a mass emergence of cicada. It sounded crazy as they climbed through the dry leaves under the trees. The tree trunks were 50% covered in cicadas. It was kinda alien.

I have heard the same thing, but overnight.  And the description of running water is the same as what I heard.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Meh.  Everyone knows how this plays out in the end.  You and @psuhoffman will end up with the best cicada-death-bands when everyone else gets cicada-slotted at some point! :lol:

At our home 1987 and 2004 were not bad at all! My neighbor who was there in 1970 said it wasn't bad either.  I'd say we're probably due for the same.

I recall them very well in 2004 in Clarksville and the Timonium Lutherville area.  Daily car washings, severe young tree damage, sidewalks covered with them and unpassable unless you're donning logger boots.  And the noise! No thanks!  Careful what you wish for!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Just snapped these emerging and newly-emerged friends in the morning sunlight. Also, it's not consistent...and very faint...but I just heard off-and-on cicada song for the first time this morning. Kinda like they're warming up and getting in tune.  :) 

individual cicada songs have a down slur at the end which usually get washed out by the chorus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Took a quick walk through the mature forest near my house. Almost none in there. All the ones I see are in yards or along the road.

Exactly my experience from Sunday. The woods are really dense and always much cooler under the canopy, so it makes sense that they'd be delayed, especially since the soil temps in the sunnier part of my front lawn have only just hit 63 in the last day or two.

• Like 2

So, I can confirm they are in my area, as my kid saw a whole bunch at school today. Nymphs, shells and mature ones. 

My kid has seen them before I have. Gonna go walk the yard now and see if I can find any :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, mappy said:

So, I can confirm they are in my area, as my kid saw a whole bunch at school today. Nymphs, shells and mature ones. 

My kid has seen them before I have. Gonna go walk the yard now and see if I can find any :lol:

Nice!  So it's like an Easter egg hunt, only a quest for red bug-eyes!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Exactly my experience from Sunday. The woods are really dense and always much cooler under the canopy, so it makes sense that they'd be delayed, especially since the soil temps in the sunnier part of my front lawn have only just hit 63 in the last day or two.

I expect if there’s going to be any area around me with 1M/acre of whatever, it will be in those woods, but there’s barely been any early risers there yet so a ways to go. Around the yards and streets it’s still somewhat scattered and nothing overwhelming.

• Sad 1

*Think* I can hear one or two. And found a small-ish shell on a tree. But definitely not major emergence here today. But between that and I did see one flying earlier. Probably going to go big here tomorrow with the warmer night and closer to 90 tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Today was the day. In the last hour or two I'm seeing increases in the hundreds it seems under the trees in the front yard. Can definitely hear a few singing already - but mostly it's tons of them coming up out of the lawn and crawling towards the trees. Here we gooooo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1