Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

10 minutes ago, mappy said:

lol this is funny 

Awesome! Def not a huge emergence here, but a lot more on a few trees. Lot more birds hanging around the tree picking them off. My older dog is snacking on them constantly. She just paces the fence and trees looking for them, it’s ridiculous lol

I've seen several cicadas flying around (such as it is!)...and birds dive-bombing after them!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

The whirring was quite noticeable at dawn, then as heavy cloud cover ensued, silence.  Now it's getting brighter and they are singing.  I'll have to take some sound levels.  In the house with the windows open it's up to 44dB which is quite noticeable but not annoying.

Same here. For just over a week now, I've not had to turn on the ambient and/or focusing playlists while working, and just open the window to let the cicada song in. Ultra soothing. When we take the dog for a walk next door at the heavily-wooded Coast Guard telecom/IT base, it's way louder, though again, not uncomfortably so -- and it's more "surround sound" over there! Perhaps most interesting, to @H2O's point, I've clearly heard the distinct song of each of the three periodical cicada species for the first time, often right outside my home office window.

This has, hands down, been THE best brood emergence I've witnessed in my life in terms of the sights, sounds and entire experience. Yeah, they're ugly....but I'm gonna miss these gentle giants when they start dying off in a week or two. I'd take an overflowing yard-ful of periodical cicadas any year, over the annual return of mosquitos and biting flies.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Same here. For just over a week now, I've not had to turn on the ambient and/or focusing playlists while working, and just open the window to let the cicada song in. Ultra soothing. When we take the dog for a walk next door at the heavily-wooded Coast Guard telecom/IT base, it's way louder, though again, not uncomfortably so -- and it's more "surround sound" over there! Perhaps most interesting, to @H2O's point, I've clearly heard the distinct song of each of the three periodical cicada species for the first time, often right outside my home office window.

This has, hands down, been THE best brood emergence I've witnessed in my life in terms of the sights, sounds and entire experience. Yeah, they're ugly....but I'm gonna miss these gentle giants when they start dying off in a week or two. I'd take an overflowing yard-ful of periodical cicadas any year, over the annual return of mosquitos and biting flies.

Yeah I think it's pretty cool, myself!  Interesting how the sound comes and goes with the amount of cloud cover, and how by late afternoon or so they call it a day.

I would imagine tomorrow and Sunday they'll be far more muted with cooler temperatures and rain.  But perhaps they'll start right back up after that.  I don't know how much longer they'll go on, but would think given how many I still saw emerging this week, we'll hear them loud and clear through the 1st week of June at least.  I think that's the typical time they go on, early-mid June or there about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

There is a bit of a funky smell near places with a lot of dead cicada.  Not overwhelming, but there.

Noticed that this week. It’s inevitable given the billions that croak and slowly decompose

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

There is a bit of a funky smell near places with a lot of dead cicada.  Not overwhelming, but there.

Kinda noticed the same concerning the smell.  Have seen many dead cicadas and old exoskeleton shells.  I think many of the dead ones are from "failed" molting, but also probably just died and fell out of the trees naturally...or were half eaten by birds, got stepped on, etc.  Still a lot around though.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

The "spaceship" has returned!  I guess all it took was even just a little bit of sun this morning to get them going again.  I'm sure they'll like the much warmer temperatures this week, however many are left around partying.

:(

• Sad 1

They are out in force today, all over. And loud. Some plants are just covered with them. Even saw car tires with cicadas (probably not the best place for them to hang out!). I swear I saw a lot of "new" exoskeletons on trees that were not there the other day. I think some new ones have still been emerging. 

<math geek> Parallel cicadas. </math geek>

20210531131229_4G6A0710.thumb.JPG.4505c51dec18b8496d643244809e1892.JPG

And a face-off! 

20210531134936_4G6A0726.thumb.JPG.8b2e535edcf3e072f0fac09c58d11a22.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Forgot to tell a story about a family around the corner who were seemingly so afraid of the first emerging cicadas that they took a f’ing blowtorch to the tree on their front yard to get rid of them. I’m hoping they’ve realized the sheer folly of their ways, but I’m not 100% certain they have.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, H2O said:

Online decibel meter website says it’s about 90db outside. All from cicadas

Yeah, yesterday was probably the loudest yet -- hosted a BBQ on the back patio starting around 3-ish. They were dialing it back by then a couple notches (and I noticed that they tend to late afternoon into evening), but starting at sunup until early afternoon, it gets loud out there. Between the bugs singing their pickup songs, and intermittently raising/lowering the volume on Big 100.3's "Memorial Day 500" classic rock countdown, we all were talking pretty loudly at times.  :) 

• Thanks 1