Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 18-19 long duration manageable snow and ice event

wdrag

10 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

It is mostly snow with barely sleet.

6-10 inch storm looking likely for NYC 

40 inches is also looking  likely

Based on the modeled 850 temps and a likely warm layer above that level, a few tenths are likely lost to sleet overnight Fri for the SE half of the area. I'd call it a 5-8" storm on the UK. Of course final accumulations will always depend on ratios and banding etc.

• Like 1

554A: Topic headlines were adjusted from the original of ate last week to the snowier wintry solution. A burst of moderate to briefly heavy snow Thursday, begins lightly between midnight and 6AM  Thursday much of the area, though it may delay a bit to the daylight hours north of I84. QPF etc has decreased since originally threaded. Modeling allows sleet/freezing rain to get involved near the Thursday evening rush hour and eventually back to manageable, possibly intermittent snow on Friday.  Some modeling has a decent burst of snow Friday.  ~Half a foot or more seems likely for much of the area with sleet/freezing rain (even maybe eventually even a bit of rain e LI) limiting the risk of 6" south of I78 and possibly LI as well. Graphics added are WPC 09z ensemble chance of 8"+, chance of .01 freezing rain for the periods indicated (note it's got higher probs southwest Harrisburg, but that would include earlier than the 48 hours shown) and the NWS regional snow forecast through 7PM Friday.   OBS NOWCAST thread will post this evening.

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 5.24.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 5.28.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 5.35.33 AM.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, eduggs said:

Based on the modeled 850 temps and a likely warm layer above that level, a few tenths are likely lost to sleet overnight Fri for the SE half of the area. I'd call it a 5-8" storm on the UK. Of course final accumulations will always depend on ratios and banding etc.

So a significant storm with modest accumulations made somewhat more hazardous by potential sleet and rain. I'm thinking more like 3-6 based on other storms of this ilk I've witnessed. Sleet could keep it from being higher. But it will still need to be respected. I'd sleep in if possible.

22 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

So a significant storm with modest accumulations made somewhat more hazardous by potential sleet and rain. I'm thinking more like 3-6 based on other storms of this ilk I've witnessed. Sleet could keep it from being higher. But it will still need to be respected. I'd sleep in if possible.

3-6 is a good call or even 4-8 

Today's  runs will be interesting

• Like 3

In regard to sleet impacts on road conditions subsequent of snowfall, this can be a treacherous scenario given the cold BL temperatures <32 in affected areas. Treated roads have a much harder time in melting heavy sleet rates than snowfall in many cases. I believe this is partly due to the effects of dendrites being more susceptible to melting given their molecular structure. Sleet is more consolidated/low porosity (solid- if you will), and therefor there is less air pockets (as compared to snowfall) for warming on treated roads. Depending on rates, sleet can compound on treated roads. Sleet atop snow can further stymie the melting process. 

Road conditions with this storm may be a case scenario.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EpicHECS said:

Yet nothing is calling for more snow in the city than north and west of it. I don't know where he's getting this from. /scratches head

Most models show more qpf for nyc metro than say around 84. CMC, Euro, V16, Nam all show that. Although we may indeed receive less qpf the ratios will be higher in 13-15:1 range and mixing is unlikely so at the end of the day everybody should see around 6 inches with a few slightly higher amounts. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

Most models show more qpf for nyc metro than say around 84. CMC, Euro, V16, Nam all show that. Although we may indeed receive less qpf the ratios will be higher in 13-15:1 range and mixing is unlikely so at the end of the day everybody should see around 6 inches with a few slightly higher amounts. 

Longer duration of lighter snows up here can also help us get to that same level of snow as NYC as well

• Like 1

You can't discount the NAM getting warmer aloft. It's usually superior to other models sniffing out these warm layers that can mean changing over. Last two runs have gotten a little warmer in mid levels, no doubting that. It's north of other models generally but there's often a last minute north trend anyway. RGEM at 6z was also a good bit north it seemed.