Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 18-19 long duration manageable snow and ice event

wdrag

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Still think most here will get 4-8" with 10" locally.

Not that it really matters here. My snowpack is still over a foot deep in most places. 

Even with hitting 54 here today it didn't do much. I think I have a glacier in my yard.

tonight's cold will turn it all to cement....

2 minutes ago, crossbowftw3 said:

Watch up for 5-8 in Sullivan. Reasonable. Long duration overall should help this be much easier to keep up with.

If this works out for us and Monday works for us we will have a  BIG base. Not too much lost over night into today.

Tonight everything will be frozen rock solid into place into the start of Thursday's even

16 minutes ago, Juturna said:

What do you think the timeline is for snow to begin/will be heaviest in the metro area?

Very preliminary but according to 18z NAM we could see our first flakes early Thursday morning around 7-8 am with the heavier precipitation between 10am and 4pm.

17 minutes ago, sferic said:

If this works out for us and Monday works for us we will have a  BIG base. Not too much lost over night into today.

Tonight everything will be frozen rock solid into place into the start of Thursday's even

good to lock in a new snowpack as the pattern will go into remission for the rest of the month

4 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

Looks as if the new Euro just coming in is going with the longer duration snow event scenario. The first wave thursday gives heavier snow just to our south. A lot for central/southern Jersey. But the snow is reloading for thursday night ... accumulating snow still going on here into early friday morning. Despite the heaviest of the first wave thursday going just to our south, we still end up getting a good 6 inches up here due to the lighter snow continuing into friday morning.

looks like it also makes it to the south shore of long island!

8 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I guess the takeaway from today’s guidance is that even coastal sections can get 6” before the sleet arrives.

C9706F10-F4DC-40A9-9D3B-B0D8D0A64092.png.4ff0934b0239e37e6981cc1e23556983.png

B98B11D8-C882-4F92-AAE6-C3A82D225B32.png.81c4104e01dc51274713bfa2e4d5388e.png

not so sure any sleet is going to arrive and Goldberg even mentioned our south shore might be in the jackpot zone with or without any mixing.

any mixing will be too little too late

We have the well placed WAA that brings the heavy snow in on Thu like a wall that makes the 6” totals possible near the coast. If the heavy snow is more scattered or the main WAA is aimed NW of the city, amounts will be less. As usual I think it’s 90-95% chance that at least the city will go to sleet at some point and probably rain. But by then a lot may have fallen already. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

We have the well placed WAA that brings the heavy snow in on Thu like a wall that makes the 6” totals possible near the coast. If the heavy snow is more scattered or the main WAA is aimed NW of the city, amounts will be less. As usual I think it’s 90-95% chance that at least the city will go to sleet at some point and probably rain. But by then a lot may have fallen already. 

right it doesn't really matter if it's all snow or not, NYC will probably still get to 40".

People stress out too much on everything that falls being snow, you dont need that to have a big snowstorm.