Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter 2021

George BM

5 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

I dunno.  I've just noticed your posts aren't very nice a lot of the time and I don't see a good reason for it.  People are just out here enjoying snow, no reason to come after them. 

Thanks for saying this! It's particularly unnecessary to insult people's intelligence and call them children, when I'm sure a lot of kids are on this board and trying to learn.

3 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

@Kmlwx I don't take issue on whether @wxtrix was right about the warning criteria, that's a minor detail.  I just take issue with publicly saying something mean to the person for no reason.  You could just be nice and explain it respectfully.    

I understand - I just didn't want it to start to shift to another devolution of the obs thread. 

I'll say one thing...I love snow...but a huge benefit of sticking around here during severe season is we seem to have a ton less issues with threads coming off the rails. I think a lot of it is just lower overall traffic. But sheesh...I'm reminded why I sideline myself most of the time unless I'm updating my observation. 

4 minutes ago, Deer Whisperer said:

Just my 2 cents but if someone is new here and seems like they don't really know much to you, maybe try to help them? I get it can be annoying but jeez, you're gonna make people not wanna come back here if you just attack them for doing something wrong

It's kinda shocking the amount of bad behavior that's tolerated here by certain posters. I see new people all the time making posts apologizing in advance for asking a question and hoping they don't get torn apart (at best they get ignored, at worst they get snarked at). Many new posters just get run off, and even older ones are tired of it. 

I post on an unrelated forum much larger than this one (occasionally helping with moderation) and I can tell you that many people given free reign here would be banned in an instant, without question.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

I understand - I just didn't want it to start to shift to another devolution of the obs thread. 

I'll say one thing...I love snow...but a huge benefit of sticking around here during severe season is we seem to have a ton less issues with threads coming off the rails. I think a lot of it is just lower overall traffic. But sheesh...I'm reminded why I sideline myself most of the time unless I'm updating my observation. 

Understood.  Didn't mean to derail the thread, should've made my post in here instead.  Looks like it's been deleted already anyway. 

Just now, wxtrix said:

or he could respect people and read more and post less.

he literally knows nothing and has spammed the board with 130 posts. he kept putting his idiotic maps in the storm mode thread even after he was told not to do so. he can’t be bothered to learn any of the basics about weather or even what constitutes a winter storm warning.

I said I wasn't going to respond to you anymore....but you really just need to take a chill pill.  It's a weather board, it's snowing, have fun and be nice to people. 

• Like 8

Just now, PrinceFrederickWx said:

It's kinda shocking the amount of bad behavior that's tolerated here by certain posters. I see new people all the time making posts apologizing in advance for asking a question and hoping they don't get torn apart (at best they get ignored, at worst they get snarked at). Many new posters just get run off, and even older ones are tired of it. 

I post on an unrelated forum much larger than this one (occasionally helping with moderation) and I can tell you that many people given free reign here would be banned in an instant, without question.

I won't agree or disagree. But there's a few factors here - 

There's a difference between asking a meteorologically relevant question and asking "How much for Philly?" in a fast paced discussion thread. 

I was an AWFUL poster in the Eastern days back in 2006. I posted too much, opined on things I had no clue what I was talking about, and did too much hand wringing over storms. I started reading, listening to met posts, and not feeling like I had to be posting to stay relevant.

We just all need to be friendly towards each other and give new posters friendly nudges if needed. But if somebody keeps up terrible posting - I have no issues with the mods 5-posting or taking other action. 

The vast majority of people on here are friendly and willing to teach newbies. 

1 minute ago, 87storms said:

nah, you did the right thing.  the others started the derailing.

I hope I didn't come across as targeting @DCTeacherman - definitely wasn't my intention. I have no beef with anyone here. But gosh darnit people...stop interrupting my reading of the lovely snow obs coming in. When I mash F5 I don't want to see 15 posts dogpiling on somebody. Let the mods handle. I came here for the weather.

1 minute ago, wxtrix said:

hey @Kmlwx, how are new weenies treated now versus back in your day? lol. TornadoTony could tell the same stories. and didn’t Fozz end up weenie-tagged, too?

Honestly...it goes both ways. Everyone has their posting style. Weenie newbies back in 2006 were SWIFTLY dealt with. I hung onto that god awful weenie tag in my title for way too long. It was almost like putting a dunce cap on posters. 

I think we all need to be cordial of course - but at the same time, I think people really get their feelings hurt a lot more easily than in 2006. It's been a hell of a year - we all need to realize that ultimately...it's weather. Most of us saw snow, a lot of us are still seeing snow today. 

IIRC the weenie tags back in 2006 even had the Oscar Meyer branding. 

I will say....compared to toxic social media....we really aren't that bad. People just start to glom onto negatives and dogpile on people. 

Let's bring the friendliness of the summer months in here and apply it year round. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

I won't agree or disagree. But there's a few factors here - 

There's a difference between asking a meteorologically relevant question and asking "How much for Philly?" in a fast paced discussion thread. 

I was an AWFUL poster in the Eastern days back in 2006. I posted too much, opined on things I had no clue what I was talking about, and did too much hand wringing over storms. I started reading, listening to met posts, and not feeling like I had to be posting to stay relevant.

We just all need to be friendly towards each other and give new posters friendly nudges if needed. But if somebody keeps up terrible posting - I have no issues with the mods 5-posting or taking other action. 

The vast majority of people on here are friendly and willing to teach newbies. 

km, you're obviously a good poster.  i was similar as well and i've been trying to stay real objective the last few years, not emotional, etc...but as someone who likes to think he has a moral compass (or tries to lol) it's challenging to see someone get publicly scolded for not doing anything wrong.  it's very minor stuff.  it's a weather board.  granted, there are times where people need to chill out on certain topics...like the ridiculousness of bashing computer models because they're not nailing systems 5 days out...but that's different than just putting someone down you don't even know.  most of the time i'm just like whatever, let the mods do their thing, but it's been carrying on throughout the storm.  anyway, i wanted to reply here bc i did reply in obs before it got removed.

1 minute ago, 87storms said:

km, you're obviously a good poster.  i was similar as well and i've been trying to stay real objective the last few years, not emotional, etc...but as someone who likes to think he has a moral compass (or tries to lol) it's challenging to see someone get public scolded for not doing anything wrong.  it's very minor stuff.  it's a weather board.  granted, there are times where people need to chill out on certain topics...like the ridiculousness of bashing computer models because they're not nailing systems 5 days out...but that's different than just putting someone down you don't even know.  most of the time i'm just like whatever, let the mods do their thing, but it's been carrying on throughout the storm.  anyway, i wanted to reply here bc i did reply in banter before it got removed.

:hug: - Thank you for the kind comment. However...I've just suppressed the weenie behavior ;) . I think I've ultimately just learned that weatherfails happen. It's not come conspiracy against me. I've mentioned it a few times the last few days...the @Bob Chill - approach to weather is really refreshing.

I'm 100% all for fostering great connections with new posters - but it goes both ways - if newbies are going to get so excited that they can't stop hitting the post button...something has to be done. It took me a long time to realize that having 10K posts wouldn't make me a good/balanced poster. 

Cant resist throwing in my two cents:

I started posting here when I was 12, I think. Could’ve been 13. Regardless, I’m sure I looked stupid. I distinctly remember talking with Ian, which I thought was so cool since I recognized the name from CWG, but I doubt those conversations actually went well. Since he’s rarely here anymore, you guys can blame me for him mostly leaving, lol.

Regardless, I’d like to think that over the past seven or eight years, I’ve become a better poster. I’m still
not a meteorologist. I honestly probably couldn’t tell you WSW criteria off the top of my head for LWX, especially with (I think) it being different in different zones - but I’ll guess 5” in 24 hours.

This forum has made me a much better weather enthusiast. I get to sometimes write things for the Capital Weather Gang because you all made me a better/more knowledgeable poster. You guys fueled my interest in weather and made me want to become better. It would suck to scare someone off because they are too young or don’t have good grammar. Most of you are probably lucky this forum wasn’t around when you were in your early teens and wanted to meet likeminded folks.

• Like 2

I think perhaps one of the best things about this snow event was @Bob Chill's return!  Honestly, last Friday afternoon when he showed up, it's like the mood of this board lightened up.  Almost celebratory.  I'm sure part of that was due to it being a Friday and part of it because the models were looking pretty good around that time.  But mostly, I think a lot of people were just happy to see him come back, sort of signaling that "it's on"!  A certain amount of the sniping and negativity was lifted, at least for awhile.  I also thought his subtle return was amusing, with his "Hey peeps...how much for Rockville?" comment in the storm thread!  At any rate, thanks for that, Bob!

23 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Yeah...it's WAY less busy around here in the summer. I was pretty much a ghost this summer for the first time in ages, but that was related more to all the issues going on in 2020 than anything else. I generally do like it here in the summer, but there's really nothing like it when we're expecting a nice snowstorm.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic