• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Obs and nowcast Major Nor'easter near blizzard Sunday afternoon Jan 31 - Sunrise Wednesday Feb 3

wdrag

Just now, NorthShoreWx said:

Because in our society we often equate being a victim with heroism.  So some people take it to the extreme and want to paint themselves as victims of this awful storm.  Or maybe she hates snow.

Yeah very likely but to be a little fair it's been years since we've had any major snowstorms around here. Cool stat though.

5 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Smithtown, NY 14.6" storm total snowfall as of 7:30PM. 

Snow mixed with sleet shortly after 6pm.  Was mostly light sleet for a while, then went back to mostly snow when it got heavier and so forth.  All snow at the moment.

At 8:15pm: 30.9  S-

15" on the stake. 

Nice!! Snowing lightly here as well again. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, nesussxwx said:

Should hit 30", still a few hours to go. What's your temperature?

My Wx station died a while back and haven’t replaced it as of yet. I usually run a degree or two colder than Andover Aeroflex. What’s your total at? Radar finally showing some signs of weakening some. Still another 1-3, 2-4” thru tomorrow seems plausible.

32 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Probably a combination of UHI and much of LI being farther north than Central Park.  Also sometimes with a cold high to the N or NE and the right wind direction, we might benefit from some colder air draining down the CT River valley.  Basically cold air damming.

If the mid level warming from the SE was more robust, or the boundary winds were more easterly,  NYC would likely have been a few degrees colder than LI.  Could still trend that way

Still 31 and snow here...this area is the cool spot for some reason, Wunderground confirms

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, doncat said:

It's been snowing here now at varying rates since around 1pm Sunday...will be interesting to see how many more hours we can add to that.

same here...I love storms like this...the great storm of Feb. 1920 storm lasted 74 hours with a two hour break...4.43" of le...17.5" of everything...this one will probably fall short of that lenth but we'll get more snow with less le...

7 minutes ago, Amped said:

So pretty much a bust in Boston, Philly and DC but NYC is in the 15-20 range

Philly has around 6” at last report 7pm and probably ends up at 7-8”. They didn’t make it to what was predicted exactly but I think they were expecting 8-10” so if that not bad. Boston was always very questionable but near the harbor might end up with only a few inches because of the blessing/curse easterly flow which today is a curse. West side of the city might get 8-10”. DC did bust I think but Miller B storms like this 95% of the time don’t produce there-they bomb out too far NE.