Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

13 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

FWIW, SPC Mesoanalysis showing the 850mb warm air pocket is not that big.  Less expansive and cooler than even the 6z 3k NAM had at this time.  Hopefully we can flip back to snow soon as precip redevelops.  

per SPC, its RAP function has those 850s back to 0 for me up here in 1-2 hrs

1 hour ago, JakkelWx said:

How are we going to see only an inch when it's going to be snowing starting 1 PM today thru early morning Wednesday? We're likely going to see a few inches at least. That would be a pretty big bust to only see an inch of snow when we are 50 miles from a low that stalls for almost two days straight.

Just look at the thermals and qpf on the 3k NAM to use a model. Wont be much of any frozen during the day verbatim. Tonight into tomorrow is the period where it may snow some, but there really isn't great agreement on the location, and over here it is mostly associated with an inverted trough feature as the system departs. Might work out, but in my recollection this sort of thing rarely does.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Baltimorewx said:

Just drove to work. Definitely looks pretty with the ~4” of snow completely incased in ice. Looks like natural skating rinks lol. Roads arent too bad though, but then again I drive a wrangler lol

My roads all around my neighborhood are snow and ice combined. I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere today because I don't think my little Nissan could do it lol. Just north of Baltimore. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve25 said:

My roads all around my neighborhood are snow and ice combined. I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere today because I don't think my little Nissan could do it lol. Just north of Baltimore. 

I’m on the east side of Baltimore county so it’s probably not quite as bad here as far as the roads. But yeah! Wish I could stay home! Well I guess I could, but don’t feel like using time off in the winter 

About 5" here.  Have not been outside to see how bad the crust is.  Accurite anemometer cups frozen (nothing new there LOL) and one of the ultrasonic stations reporting crazy numbers due to rhimed over sensors.  TEMPEST seems OK surprisingly enough and winds out of NE seem to be picking up.

Looks like some nasty patches of ZR coming this way.  Need to jump on the blower NOW as I'd rather clear three feet of snow than 5" with hard crust on top.  That stuff is nasty!  I really hope this doesn't turn into Carmageddon II where we get .3" accretion followed by over a foot of snow sticking to it.  The tree damage and cleanup this way was probably one of the worst storms in recent history including 1999 and 1994.

It does look very pretty, there's just something about a row of 85' tall spruce trees decorated with the white stuff.

9 minutes ago, CAPE said:

6z Euro looks more realistic for the backside action for most areas. Something like 1-3".

I’m struggling to remember a storm where guidance bounced around so much. Feels like every single run presents a different solution even while the event is unfolding in front of us.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic