Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Watching closely .. February 1-3rd for moderate to major coastal event

Typhoon Tip

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Winter Hill for sure, ha ha.  Without joking though, it has been interesting to see that there hasn't been a distinct ORH Hills enhancement look but more of a general speed convergence enhancement look as the moisture comes ashore in E.Mass.  Like land friction or something causing a pile up of air as it comes off the ocean... the QPF plots almost look like a tide coming inland and then decreasing as you move away from the coast.

All the global models have that look.  Just strong convergence as the air piles up on land like a massive traffic jam, and that strong easterly flow has no where to go but upwards as there's a speed convergence going on in the low levels.

Funny you point that out because that is a lot how Mar 2013 looked too. Saw this QPF Max over coastal E MA. To be fair, this firehose doesn’t look as prolific as that one but it’s still impressive. 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Funny you point that out because that is a lot how Mar 2013 looked too. Saw this QPF Max over coastal E MA. To be fair, this firehose doesn’t look as prolific as that one but it’s still impressive. 

I’m interested about something. I know you save everything. Do you have the qpf maps saved from the Morch 2013 storm? I’d like to see what they printed out vs. what actually fell and where.

32 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s not a very rapidly deepening system when you look aloft. It’s strengthening but not bombing out. So that sort of limits the magnitude of the lift. 

However, I’ve noticed that models will sometimes under forecast QPF in favored areas on deep layer easterly flow so we'll have to see how it looks as we get closer. 

I.E Weenie Ridge (N orh hills ) ...and  (E slope Berks) 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s not a very rapidly deepening system when you look aloft. It’s strengthening but not bombing out. So that sort of limits the magnitude of the lift. 

However, I’ve noticed that models will sometimes under forecast QPF in favored areas on deep layer easterly flow so we'll have to see how it looks as we get closer. 

Love the .4 per 3 hr right in my hood. Nice deform wrapping 

Screenshot_20210129-202201_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Henry's Weather said:

Either they're priming the public for the inevitable increase, or thsy aren't too enthused with the slow rate of strengthening and occlusion.

1 hour ago, DomNH said:

I'd be pretty surprised if we end up needing a range > 8-14''.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s also 3+ days out still for much of the region. It’s always easier increase as you get closer than back off from a public reaction standpoint. 

Lol I remember when 8 to 14 was top end. First forecasts morning of Feb 78 were 8 to 16 and I was astounded to hear that.

37 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it's real even in the weaker/lighter solutions.  Of course there's a larger scale deep layer easterly flow and mid-level lift spreading precip way west, but that's like E MA version of meso-scale precipitation genesis... almost like orographics.  But the lift is from speed convergence of the flow coming ashore not terrain, and some ever so subtle veering of the flow from ESE to ENE under 850mb helping the lowest levels.  It's just going to pile up air into E MA.

That type of strong low level lift also should result in an area of sinking/subsidence air nearby... almost like a standing wave pattern for a time.  Very similar to upslope when you get waves of lift/sink develop.  Of course any mid-level deform banding can overcome that lower stuff too.  Need to watch for some more acute minimums that may not be traditional.  I'm very high confidence at this point in E. MA QPF max... even glancing blow and weaker, you will get that stronger lift there relative to elsewhere.  The mechanism for convergence is pretty strong, sustained cross barrier flow with the shoreline.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it's real even in the weaker/lighter solutions.  Of course there's a larger scale deep layer easterly flow and mid-level lift spreading precip way west, but that's like E MA version of meso-scale precipitation genesis... almost like orographics.  But the lift is from speed convergence of the flow coming ashore not terrain, and some ever so subtle veering of the flow from ESE to ENE under 850mb helping the lowest levels.  It's just going to pile up air into E MA.

That type of strong low level lift also should result in an area of sinking/subsidence air nearby... almost like a standing wave pattern for a time.  Very similar to upslope when you get waves of lift/sink develop.  Of course any mid-level deform banding can overcome that lower stuff too.  Need to watch for some more acute minimums that may not be traditional.  I'm very high confidence at this point in E. MA QPF max... even glancing blow and weaker, you will get that stronger lift there relative to elsewhere.  The mechanism for convergence is pretty strong, sustained cross barrier flow with the shoreline.

I enjoy reading your posts when you talk about this stuff. Very knowledgeable. 

Ask RI about the "standing wave" in the fire house storm...and the area of Subsidence....maybe part DEUX?

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I don't think that we will have the usual subby area away from the low level convergence associated w coastal front....the easterly flow should nix that. I think the subby will be brutal just west of where ever that ends...probably just west of ORH, since immunity to porkings are built into their climo....plus terrain should augment precip on easterly fetch.

I feel like Steve to ORH best....Kev will be okay, but once you get west of him and lower in elevation...oof.

Just now, weatherwiz said:

First stab here in Connecticut. Unless we see serious changes to the overall evolution of this storm in the upper-levels, as modeled right now, and all guidance really, I am quite certain the band of heavy snow would traverse Connecticut. 

first call social.png

Just about the same as me, except I has a swath of 6-10" in the valley.

• Like 1