Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Watching closely .. February 1-3rd for moderate to major coastal event

Typhoon Tip

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You see it time and time again....everyone talks up how slowly it moves...capture this, and cut off that....crawl over there....then as we get near the event...."nice thump".....

This storm will only appear slow because it’s slamming into the system that’s exiting us now.  I don’t see this as a maturing coastal as it hits our latitude.  That’ll be further SW of us in the mid Atlantic.  Doesn’t mean we can’t have a sizable storm, I just don’t see a WCB combined with a CCB to produce those prolific totals. 

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

A little snip snip with the internet lines? 

The whole concept of a snow day is sadly gone for many with office jobs - at least this winter, and maybe forever now that companies know people can and will work from home. I always enjoyed the relative quiet when I and everyone I worked with was snowed in at home, and the general attitude was "stay safe and enjoy the snow." Now the assumption is that we're all logged in and working/zooming no matter what. The difference was really noticeable during that mid-December storm; was just another day at the office, with wall-to-wall emails, calls and video. Even once we're all back to our offices, I worry that the remote-work infrastructure that's been established will mean a permanent expectation that there are no days off.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, PWMan said:

The whole concept of a snow day is sadly gone for many with office jobs - at least this winter. I always enjoyed the relative quiet when I and everyone I worked with was snowed in at home, and the general attitude was "stay safe and enjoy the snow." Now the assumption is that we're all logged in and working/zooming no matter what. The difference was really noticeable during that mid-December storm; was just another day at the office, with wall-to-wall emails, calls and video. Even once we're all back to our offices, I worry that the remote-work infrastructure that's been established will mean a permanent expectation that there are no days off.

We now live in a soft society out of an abundance of caution, lol.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I wasn't crazy about that, either.

NAM is usually pretty good with that, as well as mid level warming.

Can just hope its a slow rot and death...that's how we'll get totally smoked. 

Also interesting with the double-barrel low...I think the GFS has kinda hinted at something similar but that is quite interesting on the NAM. The H7/H5 evolution are just so funky with this. Go from getting a more compact closed/stacked system to becoming more elongated and this process happens very quickly with occlusion. Damn...this is so close to being an absolute monster 

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Throw up the GFS 500mb North Atlantic view on Tropical Tidbits and you can see what I am referring to,  our exiting storm takes its time, meanwhile our next storm comes in like a heat sealing missile, only to hit a brick wall.

That's been the problem all along, These last couple cycles it has lifted out a little sooner but its not going to get out out of the way soon enough for this to be more siggy.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

That's been the problem all along, These last couple cycles it has lifted out a little sooner but its not going to get out out of the way soon enough for this to be more siggy.

This is partly why you don't get blockbusters in stronger la nina events....splattering of PAC waves everywhere, so they manage to interfere with one another just enough.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This is partly why you don't get blockbusters on stronger la nina events....splattering of PAC waves everywhere, so they manage to interfere with one another just enough.

Could actually see from the get go we were going to deal with that too, Yeah, To many flies in the ointment is the phrase i like to use ha ha.

10 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I’m still trying to figure out what 8s allowing that subtle lifting out to get this further north.  All I can see is some larger subtle downstream troughing that allows heights behind to lift a little more.