Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

1 hour ago, dailylurker said:

Anything marginal is rain in the DC area. The "ice threat" is code for more rain. Not that ice on trees is fun or anything. I'll take 50 and sunny over mud and broken trees.

We had a nice ice storm that accumulated on the roads here in nw dc less than two weeks ago.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Still chasing the big one. Not sure it's going to happen this year. Got about a month and a half left to see if we can get crushed by a HECS.

Good morning! I think we got it in us. Hell. Could be sooner rather than later! The Tuesday threat could potentially be trending the way. Fingers crossed...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Poor @dailylurker this winter has made you miserable. I’d probably laugh at every threat too with the winter you all are having down there. We’ve now comfortably surpassed  30” on the season up this way and both next Tuesday and beyond show serious potential, especially for inland areas. I’ll most certainly be interested 

Yeah.. I'm pretty bitter lol. Any threat is going to be funny to me after the joke I've experienced with models this winter.

Gfs does look better for early week. Couple more ticks east and just maybe..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

At 90 6z euro has the departing TPV much stronger and slower to leave. System in the lower plains is weaker. Extrapolating another shift east. Guidance is slowly succumbing to the seasonal trend not to phase and cut storms west. 

I think we have a decent shot at some solid snow on Tuesday, especially in our neck of the woods, with a few more adjustments East over the next 3-4 days. The threat certainly looks better on the 6z GFS/Euro than it did yesterday. Let’s see if a trend continues moving forward  

10 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Good morning! I think we got it in us. Hell. Could be sooner rather than later! The Tuesday threat could potentially be trending the way. Fingers crossed...

Next Tuesday could end up east enough for you guys to cash in on a biggie. If not then, there is a long range threat being honked by GFS/EPS around the 24th/25th (after a big lakes cutter reloads the pattern next weekend ) This threat appears to be a strong Miller A with ample cold air around -  which could be major snowstorm for 90+% of this forum. Obviously we are WAY too far out to be talking specifics about it, but the overall pattern around that time looks ripe. MJO will be phase 8, -NAO will be freshly reloaded with a nicely placed ridge out west. Lots of time for things to change clearly, but the threat potential looks to go out at least another 2 weeks (outside of a brief few day warm up as the pattern reloads late next week)

• Thanks 1

I totally get the frustration in DC. Thing is it’s been a failure of boundary temps not pattern. I don’t know what to say. This has been the pattern since Dec 1 and the last month!   This looks like a match to every big DC snow period.
F97BB0D4-04A8-4ADD-8C9C-B40274206CB6.gif.fbc5c3a36b941fa8ff45740e2a579175.gif
F013EDD6-541D-4EAD-9600-BC177F75A7BB.gif.c8083a2570b555ad86ff837db2ab333c.gif

And we’ve had perfect track after perfect track SWs this winter. I count about 5 storms that frankly everything went EXACTLY right for a DC snowstorm and DC got a 37 degree rain or mix event. I don’t know what to say and frankly I don’t even know what DC needs to get snow anymore. Colder is the obvious answer but if a storm takes the perfect track colder would have  suppressed it. If the amount of suppression it takes to get cold enough is so much so that it squashed any wave that’s a problem. And don’t bring up Dallas. They aren’t near the coast east of mountains. Totally different climate. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Next Tuesday could end up east enough for you guys to cash in on a biggie. If not then, there is a long range threat being honked by GFS/EPS around the 24th/25th (after a big lakes cutter reloads the pattern next weekend ) This threat appears to be a strong Miller A with ample cold air around -  which could be major snowstorm for 90+% of this forum. Obviously we are WAY too far out to be talking specifics about it, but the overall pattern around that time looks ripe. MJO will be phase 8, -NAO will be freshly reloaded with a nicely placed ridge out west. 

I wouldn’t assume later next week is a cutter either. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I totally get the frustration in DC. Thing is it’s been a failure of boundary temps not pattern. I don’t know what to say. This has been the pattern since Dec 1 and the last month!   This looks like a match to every big DC snow period. And we’ve had perfect track after perfect track SWs this winter. I count about 5 storms that frankly everything went EXACTLY right for a DC snowstorm and DC got a 37 degree rain or mix event. I don’t know what to say and frankly I don’t even know what DC needs to get snow anymore. Colder is the obvious answer but if a storm takes the perfect track colder would have  suppressed it. If the amount of suppression it takes to get cold enough is so much so that it squashed any wave that’s a problem. And don’t bring up Dallas. They aren’t near the coast east of mountains. Totally different climate. 

It will snow again in DC!!

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Good point. That’s very true. Models have showed cutters in the long range all winter long just to move them 500+ miles East come storm time 1-2 weeks later. Next 2-3 weeks should be fun around these parts. Seriously can’t complain about tracking 6-7-8 potential winter events over a 2 week span in a niña winter. Dc proper has just had horrific luck with temps in what has been an otherwise awesome pattern. Any winter that produces climo totals IMBY by February 11th over 5+ storms is pretty solid in my book. All this winter is missing for our area is the elusive region wide biggie. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Was about to post the same thing. I don't know how anyone can be sure anything is cutting until it's still showing it like 2 days from the storm actually happening. The storm for Tuesday has shifted hundreds of miles east in a day.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I totally get the frustration in DC. Thing is it’s been a failure of boundary temps not pattern. I don’t know what to say. This has been the pattern since Dec 1 and the last month!   This looks like a match to every big DC snow period.
F97BB0D4-04A8-4ADD-8C9C-B40274206CB6.gif.fbc5c3a36b941fa8ff45740e2a579175.gif
F013EDD6-541D-4EAD-9600-BC177F75A7BB.gif.c8083a2570b555ad86ff837db2ab333c.gif

And we’ve had perfect track after perfect track SWs this winter. I count about 5 storms that frankly everything went EXACTLY right for a DC snowstorm and DC got a 37 degree rain or mix event. I don’t know what to say and frankly I don’t even know what DC needs to get snow anymore. Colder is the obvious answer but if a storm takes the perfect track colder would have  suppressed it. If the amount of suppression it takes to get cold enough is so much so that it squashed any wave that’s a problem. And don’t bring up Dallas. They aren’t near the coast east of mountains. Totally different climate. 

Yea, but even among those 5 events, the only one that would really been that big of storm, if i recall correctly, is the two-day Miller B two weeks ago that hit NYC. Ji has been correct. Most things seem to have also trended drier, faster, etc, as they have approached this region this winter.   And many of these events were not even that close to stay all-snow, despite what the models suggested was possible a few days ahead of time. . I could live with missing a storm because you live in the city and the snow/rain line sets up in Fairfax... But most of these storms have been an all-encompassing screw job for the entire close-in DC region, and it all just seems to fall apart on approach. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

6Z GFS is an absolute mauling out here for Tuesday. And it is really close to a mauling for everyone. And it has really turned into a Monday/Tuesday snow event now. With training on the boundary right into our area. 

It's very cold at the surface for the entire event, even for DC.  Teens to around 20 for the entire thing.  Seeing as how everything has trended to 32-35 and white rain for DC this year I remain skeptical.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

It's very cold at the surface for the entire event, even for DC.  Teens to around 20 for the entire thing.  Seeing as how everything has trended to 32-35 and white rain for DC this year I remain skeptical.  

This is DC early Tuesday morning while the Shenandoah Valley is getting crushed. The GFS surface map shows this as sleet. When in fact it is ripping fatties. 

gfs_2021021106_123_39.0--77.0.png

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

This is DC early Tuesday morning while the Shenandoah Valley is getting crushed. The GFS surface map shows this as sleet. When in fact it is ripping fatties. 

gfs_2021021106_123_39.0--77.0.png

That is really close there around and just above 850mb, looks right at or a hair below 0.  I'd think rates would cool it, if they're good enough.  Not to over-analyze such details this far out, but yeah, that is still interesting.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Not time to mess around today but I briefly looked at the icon surface panels at 114-120 and then looked at surface temps. I was in CO in 1994 so didnt experience that wild winter. I remain very very intrigued for the next 7 days. Just wild what's being spit out daily now

Yeah, if we can't get a decent snow, I guess the next "best" thing in terms of interesting stuff would be sleet and ice!  Or I'd prefer that to 30s and cold rain at least.  Honestly, in the time I've been here (since 2001) I cannot recall a really good ice event with the exception of Feb. 2007 I think.  We've had some light ice accumulation here and there around the metro DC area.  But the sleet bomb in 2007 stands out to me most.  Maybe the sleet in March a couple of years back, too.