Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

1 hour ago, jayyy said:

Next Tuesday could end up east enough for you guys to cash in on a biggie. If not then, there is a long range threat being honked by GFS/EPS around the 24th/25th (after a big lakes cutter reloads the pattern next weekend ) This threat appears to be a strong Miller A with ample cold air around -  which could be major snowstorm for 90+% of this forum. Obviously we are WAY too far out to be talking specifics about it, but the overall pattern around that time looks ripe. MJO will be phase 8, -NAO will be freshly reloaded with a nicely placed ridge out west. Lots of time for things to change clearly, but the threat potential looks to go out at least another 2 weeks (outside of a brief few day warm up as the pattern reloads late next week)

I was just going to ask about the MJO.  I feel like it hasn't been mentioned too much lately, maybe because we have been focused on having a -AO/-NAO.  Hopefully we still have a chance at something before March! 

4 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Nam seems very uneventful for the Saturday wave now.  Very little precip north of EZF.

thing is with temps in the 20s (assuming that holds), then it really wouldn't take much precip to turn things into a skating rink sunday.

tuesday does look interesting on the gfs.  the latest cmc shows the squashed version.  i would think suppression/weaker, but still workable system would make more sense, but we'll see what the 12z's have to say.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 87storms said:

thing is with temps in the 20s (assuming that holds), then it really wouldn't take much precip to turn things into a skating rink sunday.

tuesday does look interesting on the gfs.  the latest cmc shows the squashed version.  i would think suppression/weaker, but still workable system would make more sense, but we'll see what the 12z's have to say.

Totally agree, but again looking at the surface temps for us near the cities, each run is bumping a degree or two.  Now its 29 or 30 with precip in the area.  We've moved away from the mid to upper 20's look (at least on the Nam).  Slow trend all season has been to warm the surface and decrease the precip.  That's all I'm saying.

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I totally get the frustration in DC. Thing is it’s been a failure of boundary temps not pattern. I don’t know what to say. This has been the pattern since Dec 1 and the last month!   This looks like a match to every big DC snow period.

And we’ve had perfect track after perfect track SWs this winter. I count about 5 storms that frankly everything went EXACTLY right for a DC snowstorm and DC got a 37 degree rain or mix event. I don’t know what to say and frankly I don’t even know what DC needs to get snow anymore. Colder is the obvious answer but if a storm takes the perfect track colder would have  suppressed it. If the amount of suppression it takes to get cold enough is so much so that it squashed any wave that’s a problem. And don’t bring up Dallas. They aren’t near the coast east of mountains. Totally different climate. 

If I had to guess, I'd say part of it is sea surface temperatures--if the Atlantic is warming, it would make it much more difficult to get cold and stay cold in the costal plain. Unfortunately since that's global warming-driven, there's not much we can do about that. But would a northern-stream dominant flow also have an impact? I.e., are systems required to dig more without drying out too much (which seems to have been happening with nearly every storm inside 72 hours), which makes any set up pretty precarious? Maybe it's grasping at straws, but that is something that (hopefully) doesn't stick around forever, and wouldn't necessarily imply that even moderate snow in the DC-Baltimore area is just shy of a lost cause...

1 minute ago, WinterFire said:

If I had to guess, I'd say part of it is sea surface temperatures--if the Atlantic is warming, it would make it much more difficult to get cold and stay cold in the costal plain. Unfortunately since that's global warming-driven, there's not much we can do about that. But would a northern-stream dominant flow also have an impact? I.e., are systems required to dig more without drying out too much (which seems to have been happening with nearly every storm inside 72 hours), which makes any set up pretty precarious? Maybe it's grasping at straws, but that is something that (hopefully) doesn't stick around forever, and wouldn't necessarily imply that even moderate snow in the DC-Baltimore area is just shy of a lost cause...

Lower mid Atlantic, northern mid Atlantic, northeast, have done fine compared to climo. So somehow the sea surface temp is only hostile here? And our temp issues are not just a winter phenomenon. 

4 minutes ago, WinterFire said:

Over the past 40 years there have been more storms than I can count when NW burbs get significant snow accumulation and DC gets nothing. Lack of elevation and marginal temps at work, and it only becomes more of a detriment as we get further along in the season

9 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

12z icon looks much farther SE. I can’t tell if it’s doing a NAM/CMc progression though, don’t have H5 yet just slp/precip

Looks like Saturday we will have major icing according to 12z ICON in a lot of places. Looks like surface temps stay below freezing no?

10 minutes ago, Ji said:

it looks like our Tuesday monster could end up being sheared and miss us south. Just thinking of PSU fail possibilites

Progressive could mean colder and that makes the ICON evolution a possibility. 

Models will continue to have problems in the short range. 

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_fh114-123.gif

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

ICON is 12 hours of cold powder on Tuesday.   Temps in the low to mid 20s.  I'm going to just file this away in "I'll believe it when I see it" for now. 

Id rather have the  historic ICE snowstorm than the garbage 3-4 inches the icon gives us

• Like 2